Reverse cam

Tae

The story goes…. It was pouring like nothing just before the Xmas w/end in Melbourne. I was trying to reverse downhill to my in-law's driveway. The reverse camera shows my bumper and nothing more :ph34r: , the rear window was too high to see downhill, my front side window was tinted, so I have to wind down the window to see what's behind from the side mirrors. However, even on a dry night out in somewhere that's pitch dark, I can barely see no more than 0.5 meters behind the car from the camera. :blink: The 3.5 inch camera is perfect in the city/ car parks etc; where there are lights everywhere but doesn't fair good for the country side. Is it better for the Grande? Anyone else thinks the standard reverse light is not sufficient and actually have it changed? My Bro told me to go to Autobarn or the like to buy a stronger set of light blub. But I'm worried that it may be too bright for the camera? It's not that expensive so I guess I can just try it out, but just want to know what other owners think? :help:

the people who owned our kluger before us put an after-market one in .........the one where the screen is in our rear view mirror. its got awesome night vision and i can see my whole driveway in the middle of the night ( 20 meters long it is and on a steep hill) i can even see the street clearly from the top and have no lights around too. from memory i seen a few on ebay for like 250. we have actually tinted over the privacy glass so our windows are super doooper dark i cant see much at night but the camera is awesome it makes everything around me glow. :lol:

Is it better for the Grande? Anyone else thinks the standard reverse light is not sufficient and actually have it changed? My Bro told me to go to Autobarn or the like to buy a stronger set of light blub. But I'm worried that it may be too bright for the camera? It's not that expensive so I guess I can just try it out, but just want to know what other owners think? :help:

YES it is way better in the Grade ;) . It is really, coz I never experience any problem and the light from the rear brake is sometimes good enough. I rely on it so much you don't believe. I am down to the last cm from my tow car to the front bumper of the car behind :lol:

What you have to aware of though Tae is not to be too aggressive with the light. It may make it worse. I sometimes experience a lot of glare from spot lights and it clearly documented in the driver manual. So I guess it will be worse if you glare your 3.5" screen.

Bigger is not better? :o :huh::lol:

the people who owned our kluger before us put an after-market one in .

Does that means the after market one is more sensitive than the standard? I guess if it's on the rear view mirror, that's not big either?

But then again. I think M_M yours is KlugerI right? Mine is KlugerII.. wonder if the power of reverse light is any different.. Shouldn't be right? :blink:

Bigger is not better? :o :huh::lol:

Don't rub it in Taka.. :P

What you have to aware of though Tae is not to be too aggressive with the light. It may make it worse. I sometimes experience a lot of glare from spot lights and it clearly documented in the driver manual. So I guess it will be worse if you glare your 3.5" screen.

Yes, that's what I'm worried about... so the position and the angle of the replacement is critial too.. Not simple.. :(

Works like a beauty in the Grande, in the pitch dark the reverse, and even the brake lights make everything easily visible even as far back as 10m or more at my place. I even use it to make sure we havnt left anything behind at night before pulling out from a dark parking spot.

The story goes…. It was pouring like nothing just before the Xmas w/end in Melbourne. I was trying to reverse downhill to my in-law's driveway. The reverse camera shows my bumper and nothing more :ph34r: , the rear window was too high to see downhill, my front side window was tinted, so I have to wind down the window to see what's behind from the side mirrors. However, even on a dry night out in somewhere that's pitch dark, I can barely see no more than 0.5 meters behind the car from the camera. :blink: The 3.5 inch camera is perfect in the city/ car parks etc; where there are lights everywhere but doesn't fair good for the country side. Is it better for the Grande? Anyone else thinks the standard reverse light is not sufficient and actually have it changed? My Bro told me to go to Autobarn or the like to buy a stronger set of light blub. But I'm worried that it may be too bright for the camera? It's not that expensive so I guess I can just try it out, but just want to know what other owners think? :help:

Is it Really That Bad Or Is it good enough ? :blink:

Is it Really That Bad Or Is it good enough ? :blink:

It can be bad as in you see almost nothing from the screen. But that only happens to me once during that freaky storm. The reverse sensor helps to make the safety reverse. However, I think I have to give up on any mod soon coz afterall it's my missus car, lol.. and she doesn't like any mod and reckon it works just fine. ;)..

Works like a beauty in the Grande, in the pitch dark the reverse, and even the brake lights make everything easily visible even as far back as 10m or more at my place. I even use it to make sure we haven't left anything behind at night before pulling out from a dark parking spot.

I bet you the camera was fogged up or had water on it ours is a ripper too!

Edited by PC XT

• 2 weeks later...
I bet you the camera was fogged up or had water on it ours is a ripper too!

After another month of testing maybe PC XT was right.. it was foggy camera related. I can see clearly even during rain, except no serious rain like pre-xmas in Melb. Plus, I remember they were cold nights when the reverse camera had problems and no garage/carport. :lol:

The reverse light weren't exactly bright but the rego plate light was real bright.. Maybe there is a reason for it.. :P

• 4 weeks later...