Just picked up my new SX6 - First Impressions

PaulMT

@ AcoustiK

No, I do to much open road driving to really be compatible with lowering, though I can see that 30-40mm would really look awesome!

@ saintly

It is the Gold. It was just late evening and overcast rainy skies when I took the photo. The Gold does have the ability to change from yellow/beige right through to sparkling Gold. I like that!

I had some very positive compliments today about the wheels and the overall appearance of the car. The handling is hugely better. Grip is outstanding and cornering now what it should be. The steering is a little heavier, and more torque steer but all well worth it and infact the feel from the wheel much more reassuring.

The one negative is the mileage it has gone up from very respectable high 8's on a trip to 9.9 - 10.5 round town to currently 11.0 but dropping. I expected fuel consumption to rise because of the greater friction so when it comes down to inside 1l more, say 10.5l p/100km I will be very happy with that.

I have put the original wheels and tyres online for sale and hope to get a bit more than $1000 which will make the upgrade about equal to what Toyota quoted for an upgrade to 18" wheels.

Next upgrade is 4x 6x9 speakers.

So, Toyota *Feedback*

Put more rubber to the road, this car needs it

Better speakers. A lot of buyers will be sales people like me, on the road for long trips. The sounds are very important.

All this week I have been happy to wake up and go to work. Man, I hope that wears off soon, it just ain't right :rolleyes:

Edited by PaulMT

Next upgrade is 4x 16x9 speakers.

WOW the'd be huge speakers . . . I'm sure you mean 6x9's :D

Shame about the reduced economy on the new tyre/wheel's but for the extra grip it'd be worth it. Expecially in the wet

@ AcoustiK

No, I do to much open road driving to really be compatible with lowering, though I can see that 30-40mm would really look awesome!

@ saintly

It is the Gold. It was just late evening and overcast rainy skies when I took the photo. The Gold does have the ability to change from yellow/beige right through to sparkling Gold. I like that!

I had some very positive compliments today about the wheels and the overall appearance of the car. The handling is hugely better. Grip is outstanding and cornering now what it should be. The steering is a little heavier, and more torque steer but all well worth it and infact the feel from the wheel much more reassuring.

The one negative is the mileage it has gone up from very respectable high 8's on a trip to 9.9 - 10.5 round town to currently 11.0 but dropping. I expected fuel consumption to rise because of the greater friction so when it comes down to inside 1l more, say 10.5l p/100km I will be very happy with that.

I have put the original wheels and tyres online for sale and hope to get a bit more than $1000 which will make the upgrade about equal to what Toyota quoted for an upgrade to 18" wheels.

Next upgrade is 4x 16x9 speakers.

So, Toyota *Feedback*

Put more rubber to the road, this car needs it

Better speakers. A lot of buyers will be sales people like me, on the road for long trips. The sounds are very important.

All this week I have been happy to wake up and go to work. Man, I hope that wears off soon, it just ain't right :rolleyes:

Yep effeciency drops, slightly more weight, more resistance ala more tread on the road, and also you going down from Michelin Energies.

Also have you checked ur tyre pressure, im on 38psi on 35's wall height tyres, any higher and it will get uneven wear in the middle treads.

Oops yep that was meant to be 6x9 though 16x9 would be VERY cool! :blink:

I haven't checked the pressure yet, but will because I am aware how much difference this makes.

The fuel economy is still coming down on this tank full, now down to 10.6l/100km so getting there.

With regard to the 245x40x19 tyres, there is another thread here

that is discussing a problem caused apparently by this size combination. I have had this tested today by the company I bought from and I comment to this in that thread.

----------------

my 2nd hand sx6, when i first got her, the tank averge was 12.7l/100km. ( i do about 60% highway, 40% town)

over time i am getting better results, it went to flat 12's, then into the 11's, now i am sitting on a flat 10, whoever owned it before me must have had a lead foot and the computer is slowly adjusting to my more conservative driving. I was only getting 400km's a tank, yesterday when i filled up i got 505km's with about 10'kms to go on the distance meter (*** knows how accurate that thing is).

my 2nd hand sx6, when i first got her, the tank averge was 12.7l/100km. ( i do about 60% highway, 40% town)

over time i am getting better results, it went to flat 12's, then into the 11's, now i am sitting on a flat 10, whoever owned it before me must have had a lead foot and the computer is slowly adjusting to my more conservative driving. I was only getting 400km's a tank, yesterday when i filled up i got 505km's with about 10'kms to go on the distance meter (*** knows how accurate that thing is).

When I first got the car and it was on 215 Michelin tyres, I averaged on one tank which was a long round trip 8.8l/100km. Then the next tank around town averaged 9.8l/100km I towed my caravan the other day for a service and the mileage for this tank went up to 14l/100km and then the same day I had the new 245 Falken tyres fitted and after 3-4 days the mileage has come down to 10.6l/100km.

I will be filling up tomorrow for a long trip to a funeral on Saturday so will be able to get a feel for the difference the new tyres are making. I knew they would impact due to more friction but as I have said so long as that is 10.5i/100km or below I will be very happy with that.

I'm not a lead foot but I ain't no Nana either :whistling:

----------------

i have always doubt its accuracy. try finding out from how much u can run full tank this time and next time u fill up the car, i tell u, it is not accurate!

and wan low consumption? just drive like a grandma, there is no need to care so much about others~

will for me? i push it and will not take a look wat shxtLT/100km is it at!

i know ppl will start bombard above my head

Well actually I don't give a toss about fuel consumption as I don't pay for my fuel, the company I work for does, but, I still like to drive responsibly and find it fun to see what I can get it down to.

I also like to plant my foot at times and to achieve low petrol usage and still have fun is a great feeling.

----------------

I'm on my first tank and havent been below 24.9lt/100km

Imight try some lighter shoes! ( Hehehe HAHAHAHA WHA HAHAHA WHAHAHA!!!!!!)

LoL! That's some serious problem there

Tell us when it gets worse..

I just filled up my tank and got 48L/100km cause I planted it about half way down the road. Done about 50kms on the tank and managed to get it down to 12.0L/100kms so far. That's with some back street local driving and a run in this morning in traffic throught the harbour tunnel (Sydney). Will see how that goes.

Noticed that the range when full is just over 500kms. Is this what everyone else gets or is the range dependant on the way your drive. I'd think that when you fill the system resets back to default to the 500 is just a default value. Anyone know how many kms they get out of a tank or fuel? I've filled it with standard unleaded atm cause fuel prices were up over the weekend.

sorry paul... is that gold colour??

just that i'm colour blind

Just curious, Saintly, but what colour do you see it as?

I see it as green but not the green that I have on mine. (I know Paul already said it's gold)

If it helps your curiousity, I'm colour blind :P

I just filled up my tank and got 48L/100km cause I planted it about half way down the road. Done about 50kms on the tank and managed to get it down to 12.0L/100kms so far. That's with some back street local driving and a run in this morning in traffic throught the harbour tunnel (Sydney). Will see how that goes.

Noticed that the range when full is just over 500kms. Is this what everyone else gets or is the range dependant on the way your drive. I'd think that when you fill the system resets back to default to the 500 is just a default value. Anyone know how many kms they get out of a tank or fuel? I've filled it with standard unleaded atm cause fuel prices were up over the weekend.

I am currently doing 9.7l/100km after a long trip.

I will have to check but I think I did see just over 500km as the range.

----------------

I am currently doing 9.7l/100km after a long trip.

I will have to check but I think I did see just over 500km as the range.

----------------

After filling up, I the reading says 630km give or take cruising range. But with 50% urban and 50% freeway driving, I normally get to around 520-530kms before the low fuel warning light comes on.

Day 2 and I've gotten the consumption average down to 11.7L/100kms. Same city commuting driving and I have booted it a bit overtaking people, so not all granny driving :P

Also just noticed that the previous owner missed the last service :( Booked it in for tomorrow. Maybe milage will improve

Edited by Danos

Mine is down at 11.3L/100kms - After I got it back from a service it went back up to 13.6L/100kms, guess that's because they run the engine a bit during service while the car is stationary.

The new wider tyres I now have have effected the fuel consumption a bit which I expected. I have just done a round trip in excess of 1000km and the first tank averaged 9.8L/100km while the second which is not ready for a fill up yet is at 10.5L/100km and dropping. I am very pleased with the fuel usage of this vehicle when you weigh up the pleasure of having all that power at your finger tips (or right foot perhaps)

I wouldn't go back to the Michelin 215 tyres because the handling is so very much improved now with the 245x19's.

----------------

i am highly tempted to lower mine at pedders, whilst mine does handle alright, i agree that the tyres that come with the sportivos are slightly inadequate when it comes to cornering. I am going to start with a lowering job and go from there. i really like the design of the standard mags that come with the SX6 but they would have been better in an 18 or even 19 inch. They just aren't wide enough either.

Edited by beaves