Just picked up my new SX6 - First Impressions

PaulMT

I picked up my new Gold SX6 (Pic's coming) just the other day and have now done 440km.

Some of the things I read after test driving and during the 3 week wait for delivery were, "Lacking the excitement of Commodore SV6" "Not enough feel through the steering" and "Looks like a Falcon"

Of course these were the very few negatives compared to the numerous raves from owners and reviewers alike. So my excitement as the delivery day arrived was both full of anticipation and trepidation (What had I done)

Now after a couple of days of both Motorway and City driving, I can say absolutely THIS IS A FANTASTIC CAR!

Boy, what a head turner, the dark tints set off the gold and black and while I didn't upgrade the wheels (soon) the overall impact and feedback I have had is WOW!

This car is quick. Squirting into gaps is a breeze and the note from the engine and exhaust is adrenalin pumping. Feedback through the steering is better than I had expected and lively enough, while the overall feel is one of "hang on" which I love.

I have owned lots of Holdens and HSV's and this car is right up there in terms of performance and driver satisfaction, especially as it is front wheel drive, something I don't think they told the car yet!

There is a hint of the Falcon about it, understandably, but that's not bad and the final product on the road is a head turner. This car is no sleeper, it looks the part and backs it up with performance and ability.

I went for the SX6 over the ZR6 because of economy. I was able to add Tinting, Towbar and Electrics, Bluetooth, Fabric Protection and 3M bonnet stone protector for a final drive away price of $39,775

This came with Free Sportivo mats, 5 year warranty, 2x Free services (30k) and they "presented" me with a set of Brenner Driving Glasses worth $150 which I might add are brilliant and have taken over from my standard sunnies.

So far, no rattles or bumps that there shouldn't be and my only issues are...

The Speakers, not good, already I have had the rear speakers "popping" and that wasn't loud, but was heavy on Bass, so they will go in favour of better quality and the Wheels/Tyres. The standard 17" mags look great but the 215/55/17 tyres don't, and I am not too convinced about the corning capabilities or general performance feel of these.

Is 19/35 keeping the right ratio? or does it need to be 19/45? I have done some online conversions and it appears the 17/55 standards is a strange size, can any help here please.

So, I am one very happy Aurion owner, but I didn't need to tell you Guys that, did I.

Edited by PaulMT

:yahoo: Great to see a satisfied Aurion driver. My presara is more towards the tame end, but am also a very satisfied owner. I too have had Holdens and Fords and this is better (my consumer opinion). I didn't know I wanted an Aurion initially, I went out to test drive a few different cars. Tried the Fords, Holdens, and Mitsubishis, Toyota was the last one on my list to try, but was so impressed that I went back through the whole range comparing everything to the Toyota and in terms of my criteria, none of the others stacked up.

I must say though that I don't see the Falcon similarity and am a little heartbroken that some do! :rolleyes:

Good to see another happy Aurion owner as well.

"Is 19/35 keeping the right ratio? or does it need to be 19/45? I have done some online conversions and it appears the 17/55 standards is a strange size, can any help here please"

From what I have read, 19/35 is the correct ratio. I think there is a general rule of thumb, "up an inch = down 10 in profile" it's not exact but close.

Good price as well, I bought one of the first off the line, so paid a bit extra.

Congrats on the buy,

True it not as fun as RWD but hey this aint a sports car...

I am happy with the Zr6 i have bought, and tell you what it is a sleeper to many people. They don't expect a camry base to go so fast as they expected to go, clocked by motor mag, a Zr6 does 0-100 @ 6.8sec and Qtr mile at 14.7, given the assumption they were driving fresh not broken in cars, I think the times could be .1 to .2 faster again.

This time my friend is as fast as a XR6T ute, faster than A BF NA 6 and VE NA 6's, let alone fuel economy is more impressive. The engine itself has been rated as one of the worlds best (but the test was done on the Direct injection version of this ala 240kw version),

As for the wheels check out the TRD website and take the numbers for the tyres they used on thier 19's that should be the right one..

Congrats on the new buy! I also just picked up my ZR6 last Sunday and have done 220km on it driving between Sydney and Wollongong. I got mine for 40k driveaway, tinting and full floor mats so I believe it's a good deal. No mistake this is one fast car compared to the 03 Camry Altise 2.4L then I upgraded from. Now searching for a nice GPS unit with bluetooth (refused to pay 3.5k extra for the Sat Nav). Probably gonna go for the Garmin Nuvi 760....

Did MOTOR really get 14.8 qtr out of a ZR6?

Seems awful quick for their conservative two up test method. was it a best one up one way or what.

Congrats on the buy,

I am happy with the Zr6 i have bought, and tell you what it is a sleeper to many people. They don't expect a camry base to go so fast as they expected to go, clocked by motor mag, a Zr6 does 0-100 @ 6.8sec and Qtr mile at 14.7, given the assumption they were driving fresh not broken in cars, I think the times could be .1 to .2 faster again.

This time my friend is as fast as a XR6T ute, faster than A BF NA 6 and VE NA 6's, let alone fuel economy is more impressive. The engine itself has been rated as one of the worlds best (but the test was done on the Direct injection version of this ala 240kw version),

As for the wheels check out the TRD website and take the numbers for the tyres they used on thier 19's that should be the right one..

Thanks everyone for your comments.

@riftime

I was the same, I tried all the brands and was initially looking at the new Mondeo Sport, but something was missing - power! hehehe

@adrian

It does appear from what I have read on the net that 19/35 is right, but all the calculators I have tried seem to say that 19/40 is a better match. Anyway I will go to the local Mag/Tyre place and get their advise.

@acoustiK

Your right as adrian said, the TRD website does indicate 19/35 but do they tweak the speedo? Also there is no doubt this is a very quick V6 - I am still learning how to motivate it, but it seems very responsive and agile. I can believe those times. I have access to a drag way near here and will go to an open day to see what I can do. That will be when the car is run in and I am not so protective :-)

@clementwcm

That does seem like a very good price. I paid NZ$39,775 converted, this is AU$35,000 - The ZR6 would have cost me NZ$42,000 which is approx $AU37,500 I had the benefit of Fleet discount because the company I work for (who pay me $NZ19,000 p/a car allowance) provided a letter stating the vehicle is a part of their fleet.

Cars a very cheap in NZ by comparison to OZ because of the high number of Jap imports that keep the retail price down. Of course the downside of this is greater depreciation and less at trade in or sale time.

At the moment I don't care at all about this :-)

I have now filled the tank for the first time. I averaged on the first tank 10.1l p/100km which is absolutely amazing. Currently I am averaging 9.3l p/100km but it is rising.

I know what your thinking, I must drive like a Nana, but I haven't been. I actually think I am being wasteful because I am still learning the auto gear changes and in some cases pushing down one to many gears etc and not driving as smooth as I can. I haven't held back on acceleration - how could I! So so far the economy is living up to the advertising blurb.

I want to take some photo's but since I picked the car up last Thursday it hasn't stopped raining after 3 month's of drought! - go figure that?

Edited by PaulMT

Hey Paul

Excellent choice mate. Hard and fast Commodore man as I was the wife helped me see the light and by gees I'm glad she did. As for your tyre and rim combo question? 245/35ZR19 on an 19x8 wheel. I have these on mine with no problem at all. The only similarity that this car has with the ford is the same stud pattern in wheels as for the rest ... sorry but I fail to see it. congrats on the new car I'm sure you gunna be more than happy :rolleyes:

Seems awful quick for their conservative two up test method. was it a best one up one way or what.

Congrats on the buy,

Not sure on the testing Jon, I just checked out the quick facts pages at teh back of the mag and thats is what they quoted, tho dissappointing to see they gave the Zr6 it a 2/5 star. Agree with their approach to this, Ive heard from a mate that theyve quoted a Falcon GT-P acheiving 14.2 qrtr, but in reality its been clocked at 13.5

Just to note, Ive floated on the FORD forums as well, and people have witnessed Aurions making 14.5-14.7's runs, as biased as they should have been they were impressed/suprised at the Aurions potency.

Edited by AcoustiK

Thanks everyone for your comments.

@riftime

I was the same, I tried all the brands and was initially looking at the new Mondeo Sport, but something was missing - power! hehehe

@adrian

It does appear from what I have read on the net that 19/35 is right, but all the calculators I have tried seem to say that 19/40 is a better match. Anyway I will go to the local Mag/Tyre place and get their advise.

@acoustiK

Your right as adrian said, the TRD website does indicate 19/35 but do they tweak the speedo? Also there is no doubt this is a very quick V6 - I am still learning how to motivate it, but it seems very responsive and agile. I can believe those times. I have access to a drag way near here and will go to an open day to see what I can do. That will be when the car is run in and I am not so protective :-)

@clementwcm

That does seem like a very good price. I paid NZ$39,775 converted, this is AU$35,000 - The ZR6 would have cost me NZ$42,000 which is approx $AU37,500 I had the benefit of Fleet discount because the company I work for (who pay me $NZ19,000 p/a car allowance) provided a letter stating the vehicle is a part of their fleet.

Cars a very cheap in NZ by comparison to OZ because of the high number of Jap imports that keep the retail price down. Of course the downside of this is greater depreciation and less at trade in or sale time.

At the moment I don't care at all about this :-)

I have now filled the tank for the first time. I averaged on the first tank 10.1l p/100km which is absolutely amazing. Currently I am averaging 9.3l p/100km but it is rising.

I know what your thinking, I must drive like a Nana, but I haven't been. I actually think I am being wasteful because I am still learning the auto gear changes and in some cases pushing down one to many gears etc and not driving as smooth as I can. I haven't held back on acceleration - how could I! So so far the economy is living up to the advertising blurb.

I want to take some photo's but since I picked the car up last Thursday it hasn't stopped raining after 3 month's of drought! - go figure that?

Mate, I would LOVE to see what you clock up, if its what its cracked up to be, take a camera shot and it'll be good evidence to shut those Ford fairies at Caradvice.com, Been battling their ignorance, all they have been coming up with is Torque and RWD, theres more to it than just that to make a car faster than the other...

Congrats on the buy,

Not sure on the testing Jon, I just checked out the quick facts pages at teh back of the mag and thats is what they quoted, tho dissappointing to see they gave the Zr6 it a 2/5 star. Agree with their approach to this, Ive heard from a mate that theyve quoted a Falcon GT-P acheiving 14.2 qrtr, but in reality its been clocked at 13.5

Just to note, Ive floated on the FORD forums as well, and people have witnessed Aurions making 14.5-14.7's runs, as biased as they should have been they were impressed/suprised at the Aurions potency.

I used to be on the ford forums when I had a ford which I drag raced a bit at WSID so it was probably me talking up the Aurion justifying being a traitor! I haven't raced the Aurion myself as I am trying to age gracefully and not get my car confiscated but if I had I could tell you my that on my Aurion can do low 15's quite easily. I doubt I could get it below 15.3 stock one up petrol warning light on with PULP no spare no tools stripped of all accessories that are easy to take off. It is a Preasra which is a bit lardy so maybe an ATX on a good day who knows but mid 14's is hard work for 200fwkw and 1600kg.

It is tempting me to have a go though. But... . I did promise the missus I would give drag racing.

maybe if we could get a few like minded Aurion owners to make a night out to WSID I could be cajoled into it again.

maybe if we could get a few like minded Aurion owners to make a night out to WSID I could be cajoled into it again.

maybe :)

I personally have never been to WSID, nor know what it is :P

Congrats on the buy,

I used to be on the ford forums when I had a ford which I drag raced a bit at WSID so it was probably me talking up the Aurion justifying being a traitor! I haven't raced the Aurion myself as I am trying to age gracefully and not get my car confiscated but if I had I could tell you my that on my Aurion can do low 15's quite easily. I doubt I could get it below 15.3 stock one up petrol warning light on with PULP no spare no tools stripped of all accessories that are easy to take off. It is a Preasra which is a bit lardy so maybe an ATX on a good day who knows but mid 14's is hard work for 200fwkw and 1600kg.

It is tempting me to have a go though. But... . I did promise the missus I would give drag racing.

Fpvzr6, said he got 14.5 when he took it to the strip, read the 400-meter thread aurionvs380vscommodore etc...

I went for the SX6 over the ZR6 because of economy. I was able to add Tinting, Towbar and Electrics, Bluetooth, Fabric Protection and 3M bonnet stone protector for a final drive away price of $39,775

This came with Free Sportivo mats, 5 year warranty, 2x Free services (30k) and they "presented" me with a set of Brenner Driving Glasses worth $150 which I might add are brilliant and have taken over from my standard sunnies.

hrm :blink: did the seller do that coz he felt sorry for overpricing? just wondering.. or you are too cute for him :spiteful:

2nd Q, if i am not wrong, i remember hearing people saying that changing suspension(spring/coilover) will void your car/engine warranty. correct me if i m wrong here.

In regards to the tyre sizing, here is a little calculator which I think might help everyone. I've used it befoer and it's good.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You should be able to go wider which will give you 225/40/R19 more rubber on the road more grip and a nice look

Edited by Danos

In regards to the tyre sizing, here is a little calculator which I think might help everyone. I've used it befoer and it's good.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You should be able to go wider which will give you 225/40/R19 more rubber on the road more grip and a nice look

Thanks Danos

Another tyre calculator that I have found a lot of tyre places use is http://tententires.com

After speaking to a lot of professionals and reading advise on this and other forums, I have settled on and am having fitted tomorrow...

TSW Vortex 19x8 Mags with Falken 245x40x19 tyres. The mags have a similar look to the factory fitted ones which is good as I liked that look. The new tyres have a very square

profile and will I am sure improve road feel and holding.

I don't want to say what these cost, in case my wife reads this forum :whistling:

To continue my first impressions...

Mileage is still averaging below 9.5 litres p/100kms with a recent long business trip averaged 8.8l/p100kms - all at 100Km open road speeds. Incredible!

I have started to use the "manual" shift now and like has been said is great when you get the timing right.

I am still very happy with my purchase, I will take the promised photo when the wheels are fitted and post here. My car has a few little rattles in the dash that when I figure out where they

are coming from I will get fixed, but other than that all good so far.

Thanks to all for the friendly welcomes and comments :D

Edited by PaulMT

Hi Danos, no I didn't get chrome but they are polished. I had to keep the car looking a little restrained :rolleyes:

I like the look of the Sakata model, but the more you look the more you want, and the more you get confused about what you want! I knew I liked the standard look so kept that as a guide.

Here's my pic's

DSCF5612.jpg

DSCF5609.jpg

DSCF5608.jpg

post-7087-1204610921_thumb.jpg