1997 Vienta v6

blackjac08

Need some advice - have just inherited a 1997 Vienta v6 from my late father. He used to change the oil and filter every six months, car has only travelled 45,000kms. I drive the car to work two days a week and is not likely to travel more than 5,000km this year but I don't want to sell it. The car is very sluggish, I was told to use high octane petrol and Nulon additives to help. The car has not been serviced thoroughly for years, it is immaculate but I fear a thorough service will cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?

Need some advice - have just inherited a 1997 Vienta v6 from my late father. He used to change the oil and filter every six months, car has only travelled 45,000kms. I drive the car to work two days a week and is not likely to travel more than 5,000km this year but I don't want to sell it. The car is very sluggish, I was told to use high octane petrol and Nulon additives to help. The car has not been serviced thoroughly for years, it is immaculate but I fear a thorough service will cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?

Allways sad to hear a fathers passing, his car and service habits speak well of him...

How fortunate you are to keep his memory so alive by tacking over care of his much loved car...

Toyota is so advanced, there is not much to do to keep it in good order... power should be quite strong.

Importantly, oil and filter were in good hands, change every 10K klm or less, say 12mnths..

Air filter is important, & very easy for u to change... get a genuine unit.

Spark plugs probably don't 'need' changing... but why not freshen them up with newies... post a how to 4 good advise.

Fuel filters... Again post for advice... I never changed on your model :)

If these couple easy things don't help, post again,

now they have been done we can move to having your O2 sensor checked, cheap and easy... it may be sluggish.

And have your 'codes' read at the same time... will indicate some existing prob, not immediatly obvious.

Both the above checks can be got for free by mechanics with the equipment, just by asking them.

Nulon is a good internal component protection and anti friction measure

and the different fuels will not make much diff to performance...

but cars do need plenty of air, and good spark, and good engine management...

After that we're looking at 'draging' disc pads, half flat tyres, or a boot full of bricks, ( unlikely) but weight is not wanted.

Do what you can yourself, we will help you, learn your dads car... it's all pretty easy.

Let us know how you go... cheers.

Others that know more than me should chime in with advice...

it's a good project.

Allways sad to hear a fathers passing, his car and service habits speak well of him...

How fortunate you are to keep his memory so alive by tacking over care of his much loved car...

Toyota is so advanced, there is not much to do to keep it in good order... power should be quite strong.

Importantly, oil and filter were in good hands, change every 10K klm or less, say 12mnths..

Spark plugs probably don't 'need' changing... but why not freshen them up with newies... post a how to 4 good advise.

now they have been done we can move to having your O2 sensor checked, cheap and easy... it may be sluggish.

And have your 'codes' read at the same time... will indicate some existing prob, not immediatly obvious.

Both the above checks can be got for free by mechanics with the equipment, just by asking them.

After that we're looking at 'draging' disc pads, half flat tyres, or a boot full of bricks, ( unlikely) but weight is not wanted.

Do what you can yourself, we will help you, learn your dads car... it's all pretty easy.

it's a good project.

Grab a K&N high flow air filter for it they are a bit exy but it'll be the only one you will ever need to buy for that car as they are non disposable.

Best thing to do for any car is clean out the intake to gain econemy and power.

After that just normal service with good quality parts and product and the car should well last you for years to come.

Also highoctane petrol will help to make the car have a bit more kick to it and aslo better econemy in my experience however the change will take a little while as the ecu has to adjust itself to do this.

Hope this helps

I find that resetting the ECU (disconnecting the battery) can help with a "refresh" of the car so to speak. I normally disconnect it for about 1/2 an hour and pump the brake a couple of times to drain whatever might be left.

The ECU learns your driving patterns... so if you want a bit of "spirit" in the car, you need to drive a bit more "spirited" :) Works for me, I guess it should for you.

If you have the 1997 V6.... do you have the 1MZ engine, or the 3VZ engine?? Both 3.0L engines... the 1MZ has OBDII, compared to the 3VZ's OBDI.

it's a good project.

Grab a K&N high flow air filter for it they are a bit exy but it'll be the only one you will ever need to buy for that car as they are non disposable.

After that just normal service with good quality parts and product and the car should well last you for years to come.

Also highoctane petrol will help to make the car have a bit more kick to it and aslo better econemy in my experience however the change will take a little while as the ecu has to adjust itself to do this.

Hope this helps

Just did an oil & filter change myself, used Nulon Oil Flush first, then Castrol GTX3 oil. Added a Nulon oil treatment, Nulon Octane Boost and a K&N air filter. It has had a dramatic effect on performance and smoothness. Many thanks for the advice on the K&N, well worth the extra money. Will only be using premium unleaded from now on.

The mechanic my father used had put some sort of gel on the sump plug to protect it. It was easy to peel off with a screwdriver and has left the plug in pristine condition. I went to an AutoPro shop to see if they had something similar and they said it was the first time they had heard of someone doing that to a sump plug. I think it is a great idea but am not sure what the mechanic used (he has since retired). Any ideas?

it's a good project.

Hope this helps

Just did an oil & filter change myself, used Nulon Oil Flush first, then Castrol GTX3 oil. Added a Nulon oil treatment, Nulon Octane Boost and a K&N air filter. It has had a dramatic effect on performance and smoothness. Many thanks for the advice on the K&N, well worth the extra money. Will only be using premium unleaded from now on.

The mechanic my father used had put some sort of gel on the sump plug to protect it. It was easy to peel off with a screwdriver and has left the plug in pristine condition. I went to an AutoPro shop to see if they had something similar and they said it was the first time they had heard of someone doing that to a sump plug. I think it is a great idea but am not sure what the mechanic used (he has since retired). Any ideas?

Oils wount make it go all that much better, oil is oil is oil

How dirty was the old filter, was it brown or full of dust,

did u bang it upside down to see what come out...

because all u done so far is replace the a/filter... to account for al the extra gooo.

and some fuel additve but not injection cleaner... these 3vz are easy to please.

it's a good project.

Hope this helps

because all u done so far is replace the a/filter... to account for al the extra gooo.

and some fuel additve but not injection cleaner... these 3vz are easy to please.

Well his old filter may well have been fine but replacing it with a high flow filter will always make a car more responsive.

His injectors probably wouldn't need a clean either cause his car has only done 45 anyway, however the Nulon fuel additive I use when I can be bothered cleans injectors as well as raising RON so hopefully the product he got does that as well.

The Nulon oil treatment (exy stuff) is gold, they reckon they drove a Holden for over 1000 ks with no oil just there product and was all sweet.

It's a bit pricey but well worth it, makes an engine run like new.

So yeah 3VZ and 1MZ are really easy to please, you just have to take care of them.

NGK i think does some really fantastic iridium sparkplugs not sure if they got a version suitable for you but they are great.

in my forester it fattened up the torque curve and transformed the character of the engine. improved ecenomy of 12% too.

it's a good project.

Hope this helps

Well his old filter may well have been fine but replacing it with a high flow filter will always make a car more responsive.

His injectors probably wouldn't need a clean either cause his car has only done 45 anyway, however the Nulon fuel additive I use when I can be bothered cleans injectors as well as raising RON so hopefully the product he got does that as well.

The Nulon oil treatment (exy stuff) is gold, they reckon they drove a Holden for over 1000 ks with no oil just there product and was all sweet.

It's a bit pricey but well worth it, makes an engine run like new.

So yeah 3VZ and 1MZ are really easy to please, you just have to take care of them.

Real time field test situation re: a/filters...condition of old vs new high flow.

Absolut i agree Bjcak08 has done a really really top job.

with great results...

car is in good hands.