New Zealand ST205 Owner looking to help export to Australia

Hi everybody

This is just a sounder really, but I am a New Zealander from Christchurch in the South Island who has recently had their attention drawn to the absolute paucity of ST205's available for sale in Australia. I have owned my one for over 18 months, and painstakingly restored it at almost no expense spared. What I am looking to do, is to see if anyone over on the west island can fill me in on the details of how to export my car, and in particular whether I am correct in thinking that the fact that I have owned my one in New Zealand for over a year would be of assistance in allowing me to send it to Australia for sale. I have attached a photo of the car, and if this is a viable possibility I am happy to send a full sevice and specification schedule for the car. Even if nothing comes of it, I'd be interested to learn more about what the situation really is over there as to importing. I'm also a fifth year honours law student so am able to find my way around various legal issues probably better than your average joe! Well, thanks for your help, and keep up the good work Toyota fans!

Richard Flanagan

post-7279-1203929057_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

My limited knowledge of import legislation is that yes you most likely could sell your car here, however you would need to live here. As far as I am aware, the restrictions are that you must be an Australian citizen who has owned the car registered in another country for more than 1 yr. Therefore, If you moved here and had a postal address, you could import the car, sell it and then return to New Zealand.

Why dont you just sell it in NZ? Sure you could get good money for it over there, its a beauty!

Hi Richard,

My limited knowledge of import legislation is that yes you most likely could sell your car here, however you would need to live here. As far as I am aware, the restrictions are that you must be an Australian citizen who has owned the car registered in another country for more than 1 yr. Therefore, If you moved here and had a postal address, you could import the car, sell it and then return to New Zealand.

Why dont you just sell it in NZ? Sure you could get good money for it over there, its a beauty!

hmmm thanks for that info mate- i thought about it overnight and realised that must be the case. Cos otherwise I'm sure lots of kiwis would do that! real shame our laws won't let us do a trade- we can could send a few japs over there and you guys could send us some nice old holdens... our ones get too rusty! Thanks again,

richard