Foot brake frustration!!

clementwcm

URGGHH!! Second time in a row I reversed with the footbrake still ON from the carpark this morning while I was in a rush. Still NOT used to the thing at all even after 2 weeks of getting my brand new ZR6. Glad the alarm went off just when I was gonna gush off in D. I hope I haven't done too much damage to the foot brake reversing on it for about 5 meters...I think I heard a CLICK when I changed the gear to D....

Is it just me or is it common for ppl who'd not used foot brakes before to do this??? May be its just me damn it....

My last car btw was a 2003 Camry Altise 2.4L with hand brake.

URGGHH!! Second time in a row I reversed with the footbrake still ON from the carpark this morning while I was in a rush. Still NOT used to the thing at all even after 2 weeks of getting my brand new ZR6. Glad the alarm went off just when I was gonna gush off in D. I hope I haven't done too much damage to the foot brake reversing on it for about 5 meters...I think I heard a CLICK when I changed the gear to D....

Is it just me or is it common for ppl who'd not used foot brakes before to do this??? May be its just me damn it....

My last car btw was a 2003 Camry Altise 2.4L with hand brake.

i got the same problem but the other way around when i drive the corolla now i think the clutch is the brake but im still rolling. not good!!! not when we live on a steep slope.

it took me a good 3 or 4 months to realize where the brake is without thinking. and im still so scared to push it so far down when i brake that i notice the car still rolls a bit even after i put the brake on so i think it sits on park more then the brake. i dont wanna push the footbrake all the way down to the floor cause im worried i'm gonna break it somehow.

oh and i've driven with the handbrake on too if it wasnt for the beeping noise cause its on i wouldnt have even noticed either.

do you roll too even after the brake is on and your in park already? or is it just me?

URGGHH!! Second time in a row I reversed with the footbrake still ON from the carpark this morning while I was in a rush. Still NOT used to the thing at all even after 2 weeks of getting my brand new ZR6.

Don't worry about it. I too had the same problem getting used to it, took a few weeks. Now I like it, such a great idea to have it out of the way. Just cos we're used to a different way of doing it, doesn't make it right! :rolleyes:

Regarding damage, the alarm is there for that purpose. The most it would do is stretch the foot-brake cable a little, but checking its tension (and adjusting) is usually part of the service anyway (at least that's the way I remember it).

So hang in there, the stress will do you more damage than that to the foot brake! :)

The click you heard is probably coincidental with the standard (once-off every time you drive off in DRIVE) ABS (or stability control?) clank heard. That one's even mentioned in the owners manual as a normal event.

Edited by riftime

I leave the footbrake off when I'm parking flat...

It's only my wife that likes to put the footbrake on then when I drive it, I get a sudden slowness when reversing :/

Sorry, can't help you!

I've driven cars with footbrakes since i got my license.

Merc Eclass 220

Avalon

now Aurion...

it's actually wierd for me when i have to drive my friends cars! I always drive a while before realizing that i haven't released released the handbrake

so i guess i know how you feel... just the other way around

I leave the footbrake off when I'm parking flat...

I was thinking of that as well when I first park the car as I knew I'd probably easily forget to release it (now TWICE in 2 weeks).

So I probably leave it off when I'm parked at home.. it's flat enough I think...

Ha! I get so used to driving around in Aurions and Klugers that activating/deactivating the foot park brake becomes (sort of) second nature. I went to hop into a RAV V6 today, and because I'm so used to the sound of the 2GR-FE starting up, my left foot went into action looking for the foot park brake. After about 10 attempts, I thought to myself, "you tool, it's a RAV, it has a hand park brake!!!" :wacko:

It took me 10 minutes to figure out where it was and how it worked....

On the test drive, the dealer says 'Hop in" and proceeds to tell me where everything is and how it works - from the radio to the cigarette lighter. But he did forget one thing...

I pushed the footrest two or three times.

I asked the missus and she shrugged her shoulders.

Then I found the knob and tapped it sideways, tried lifting it with my foot then I finally pushed it hard enough for the light to go off.

Slightly embarrassing but we got there in the end...

I quite like the foot brake and got used to it real quick. I've never driven off with the foot brake still on. I do however tap my foot a couple of times on the foot rest of my girlfriends car when i drive it before i realise it has a hand brake.

I quite like the foot brake and got used to it real quick. I've never driven off with the foot brake still on. I do however tap my foot a couple of times on the foot rest of my girlfriends car when i drive it before i realise it has a hand brake.

+1.

I firstly felt embarassed telling my friends to release the foot brake when they went for a spin but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Also the wife doesn't have to struggle anymore releasing the park brake by hand.