Console light

Cooley

Hi fellow members,

I saw this from the gallery:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/au/0407075_G

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/au/Cc

Does anyone know how to change the bulb under the console?  How to open the console???

http://www.2003corolla.org/diy.php?diy=18

There is something to get you started. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who have done it... so they will prolly chip in at some point.

the instruction in that web site...only shows pics about the corolla without the climate control.

What about our stivos with climate control?? I couldn't even find a screw or anything that looks like that can be opened :(

Anyone?? Please give some advice

once u have the climate control out there are about 6 screws and it also clips in but be careful cos there is a ribbon cable there that comes out easily, then u should be able 2 see the things 4 the bulbs... hope that makes sense

once u have the climate control out there are about 6 screws and it also clips in but be careful cos there is a ribbon cable there that comes out easily, then u should be able 2 see the things 4 the bulbs... hope that makes sense

Sorry, I couldn't even get the climate control out.. :(

Can you describe from the very begining of the process?? :o

ok y take out the surround 4 ur stereo, once theat is out go 2 the mouldind around ur gear knob put ur fingers under it were it meets the cup holder, like get ur fingers underneath it and gently pull it up it should unclip. now go 2 the top of the climate control and gently pull it 2wards u the top should unclip when it does move ur hand down 2 unclip the middle/bottom clips. wwhen its un cliped genlty un plug the 3 (i think) plugs at the back and whoala!

hope that made sense, once uve done it a few times..... as i have its a piece of cake! :rolleyes:

hope thats helps

ok y take out the surround 4 ur stereo, once theat is out go 2 the mouldind around ur gear knob put ur fingers under it were it meets the cup holder, like get ur fingers underneath it and gently pull it up it should unclip. now go 2 the top of the climate control and gently pull it 2wards u the top should unclip when it does move ur hand down 2 unclip the middle/bottom clips. wwhen its un cliped genlty un plug the 3 (i think) plugs at the back and whoala!

y do you need to take out the stereo surround for the centre console?

anyway, everything comes out from the shifter upwards, each part (the shifter’s surrounds and centre console) should click out by simply prying it with a screwdriver (gently) just make sure you do all four corners a little bit at a time, otherwise one of the clips might snap.

You do not need to use a screw driver in any shape or form :o . Except to remove the screws at the back of the console.

Process is

1) Remove surround around the gear lever after removing the knob

2) Removed the Ashtray

3) Remove the vent surround by pushing in the lower part of the vents. Grip either side and pull straight out..

4) Once the vent surround is removed put the gear knob back on (to prevent damage to the centre console).

5) Once these are removed pull the lower part on the centre console gently towards you (Held by two clips (no screws hold the console in)

5) Pull the top of the console towards you (agan helpd by two expanding clips)

6) There are 3 sets of plus remove these (they are all keyed so you do not need to worry about recording the details)

7) Remove the Ashtry bulb at the back of the console

And the console should be out. Be carefull not to brake the clips.

Remove the Six screws at the back of the console (lay the console on a towel or something soft to stop scratching)

Lever the top of the black rear assembly out gently. When you pull the cover off be careful as it has a ribbon cable which can be damaged easily.

There are are a Total of 5 lights that would require replacement with Leds and 3 Condoms of your colour choice. LEDs Are prely directional so you cannot replace the Aircon and Clock units with LED (they do not disperse light in all directions). Also LEDS are polarity sensitive so you must get them around the right way once installed.

My advise is if you have no idea get some one to do it who knows how to or has done it before because you can cause damage if you were in Melb I could help but.....

There are are a Total of 5 lights that would require replacement with Leds and 3 Condoms of your colour choice. LEDs Are prely directional so you cannot replace the Aircon and Clock units with LED (they do not disperse light in all directions). Also LEDS are polarity sensitive so you must get them around the right way once installed.

My advise is if you have no idea get some one to do it who knows how to or has done it before because you can cause damage if you were in Melb I could help but.....

I'm sure about getting LEDs and I got no idea about the resistors.

Can I just buy those "condoms" instead? What's the difference between them??

most of the globes have rubber things over them that like like condoms anyways go 2 autobarn or somewhere like that and they should have them, i could only get 5mm 1s and they were 2 big 4 some of the bulbs so i just put em over the greens 1s, looks ok

I'm sure about getting LEDs and I got no idea about the resistors.

Can I just buy those "condoms" instead? What's the difference between them??

if you want to put leds on, all you need is a multimeter and ohms law (V=IR)

the voltages around the console very by a few volts. you should vary the resistor values so that each led runs with the same current and hence have a similar intensity.

I've got all my centre console and head unit changed to red leds...the climate control and clock backlights need a bit of tweaking and wide angle leds to get the backlight consistant. The head unit is a different story...

if your unsure about leds, then just go with the condoms, however, i do recall some people mentioning some fading...?

Another alternative is to simple colour the condomless bulbs the colour you wish, may fade over time tho...

Yeah, I've got my red central console done ~!! :D

It looks cool ~!! :D

Thanks everyone who had given a piece of advice or even  comments....Thanks heaps...

Otherwise, I'm really sure I couldn't get it done.  :lol:

Did you use red covers for the bulbs? Does it come out dull or as per the stock green brightness?

Edited by P’¢¡šT

If you know nothing about electronics....and want to convert you dash to LED's..I suggest you go to Autobarn they sell premade 2.5 mm units. They are are made to be used as wedge bulbs but can be modified to fit the stivo setup ..I used these on my Stivo, ILIVFOR6 and Danthuyers car. They come premade with the resistor already attached. It is a more expensive option but at least they provided piece of mind that they are correct The condoms are fine as far as brightness I used red except for Danthuyers car which was blue...Blue is darker tho...

Also do not forget they are directional polarity wise, meaning + must go to the + rail in the dash or they won't work.

If you know nothing about electronics....and want to convert you dash to LED's..I suggest you go to Autobarn they sell premade 2.5 mm units. They are are made to be used as wedge bulbs but can be modified to fit the stivo setup ..

Can you explain how they need to be 'modified'?

Can you explain how they need to be 'modified'?

they are exactly the same as the units which are on the display from the factory.

so you simply unscrew the original ones. then screw in the new ones.

simple easy and quite impressive :D

I used Tamiya model paint on the lights..... Clear red and it looks great.... I love it. Should have been like this from the factory.

The centre console is very very easy to remove.... You should have no problems. Took me about 10mins all up including painting the lights.

Peter.

• 3 months later...