more power

-666-

hey guys, just purchased a 2001 4cyl auto camry what mods would you recomend to get a bit more power out of her,

dont get me wrong its a great car to drive its just a little bit slow for my liking, i'm thinking of putting a supercharger on it, has anyone done this before or even a turbo?

Drop in a manual tran' for one, not a lot of power to be gained from an I4 auto that's in a larger body.

Extractors and a full cat back system would help a little.

Also clean out your intake.

Even with all those things you won't see a massive gain in power or anything cause as previously stated it wasn't built to be fast.

You could drop in a turbo but that's big big dollars and you still wouldn't see a huge amount of power over a V6 (There's a lot of threads around and most seem to only be getting up to 250 hp) wheras the V6 runs around 200 hp stock.

If your looking for real power out of that car swap in a 3SGTE from a Celica but again big dollars.

yeah, as tayles said, the 4 cylinders aren't built for power. But the one thing i did with my 6 cylinder was clean the air filter, was SOOOOOO DIRTY, there were leaves in my airbox :S:S:S:S heaps more power afterwards.

another thing you can do is increase the intake piping to a larger size. wont do much for porformance but done with other things may help.

camrys are heavy, so if theres anything i can do without in the boot or anywhere get rid of it.

ummmmm exhausts are meant to help, but i dont know if the 4 cylinder improves much with them.

thats about all i can think of atm.

with regards to a supercharger, they are quite exxy and theres not much room for a turbo (at least in the V6, may be diff with the 4 banga)

hope thats of some help

dont get me wrong, i s2 the camry, i s2 my camry too (gen6) and i wanted to throw a supercharger kit blah blah blah, but then, why not just buy a turbo'd car if i wanted speed. :/

The boys are right...

my 2 cnts...

learn to use all that you got...

don't be afraid open it up, foot hard to the floor... and leave it there till you reach your cruise speed, lift foot.

learn to use the full accelerator... all the simple mods are just nickles & dimes

the super/ turbo thing is just mental chewing gum, unless your mental...

if that still doesn't do it... not enough torque, off the lights, because speed is out these days

just sell the car and buy a v6... seriously

if u not sure... go to any car yard & test drive one... the economy is about the same..

if your in love with your car... woun't sell it...

just get over it and sell it anyway...

it's mostly a mental thing, wait a while, get used to the car...

respect it's finner features, learn to squeeze every drop & just relax...

power is pretty much overrated anyway... if you are in desperate need and becoming must have...

just buy a turbo car...

yeah every1 is right....the 5sfe engine was built for economy and reliability...if you want to get some sort of power out of it....i suggest to do wat the boys have already told u to do (change ur air intake and exhaust system)...u may also want to turn o/d off when u drive....and press the ETC power button (it gives u higher revs)....i would also rec. u resetting ur ECU...(thus disconnecting ur battery for about 30mins or so) after you have reconnected ur battery take it for a drive straight away and make sure u drive around with high revs (thus putting ur foot to the floor)...if u keep tht up for a week or soo the ecu will adjust according...bt tht being said if u start driving "slow" then the car will automatically go bak to tht state of drive

i used to have a 89" model camry and i wanted speed to beat all my mates v6's haha. but i knew id have to have the money, so i kicked their ****s in drifting ;)

money aint no issue here i was thinking manual and these 3 options

1. turbo the 4 banger

2. drop in supercharged v6

3. wedge in a lexus v8 (if it will fit and i can get a gearbox good enough to handle it)

the reason i want to modify my camry is coz nobody expects to get beatin by one, and i wont get pulled over unlike my old dunger vl dunnydoor

money aint no issue here i was thinking manual and these 3 options

1. turbo the 4 banger

2. drop in supercharged v6

3. wedge in a lexus v8 (if it will fit and i can get a gearbox good enough to handle it)

the reason i want to modify my camry is coz nobody expects to get beatin by one, and i wont get pulled over unlike my old dunger vl dunnydoor

the cheapest would be to turbo wat u got.....bt if i was u i would sell it and get a v6 think abt charging tht up.....

i wouldnt recommend turbo-ing the 5S-FE, im not saying that i have done it myself but from what i have read/heard its just not worth it. too many hassles and the thing isnt built for it at all. and if you want to surprise people with your camry, then your best bet would be to drop a 3S-GTE in it (im pretty sure you can put them in camry's) its the engine from the turbo celicas. if you do that all successfully then start to mod that engine and you will no worries surprise the **** outta anyone, only bad part is that it will be in a car that is front wheel drive, which is very limiting at traffic lights. and i doubt the camry has a LSD so all that power through one front wheel....Whoo hoo!.

i wouldnt recommend turbo-ing the 5S-FE, im not saying that i have done it myself but from what i have read/heard its just not worth it. too many hassles and the thing isnt built for it at all. and if you want to surprise people with your camry, then your best bet would be to drop a 3S-GTE in it (im pretty sure you can put them in camry's) its the engine from the turbo celicas. if you do that all successfully then start to mod that engine and you will no worries surprise the **** outta anyone, only bad part is that it will be in a car that is front wheel drive, which is very limiting at traffic lights. and i doubt the camry has a LSD so all that power through one front wheel....Whoo hoo!.

yep i second wat turkey says......bt it wont be cheap...ill give u that!!

im gonna go with the flow here....

why would u waste precious $$$ on a straight4 when u can use that money to buy a v6?

if youre still not convinced, all u need to do is "attempt" with a capital A, to out run anything at the lights from stationary - whether it be a 89' corolla or a mazda 323, swift, focus, nissan bluebird, pulsar, anything!!!! (just not another older camry), and i'll tell you that u'll end up wasting fuel cuz you aint gonna come out on top.

with 94kW @ 5200rpm, a gross vehicle mass of 1825kg and Acceleration 0-100Km/h in 12.4 secs, whatever EXTRA you put under the bonnet in the 4cylinder will not help much, i guarantee you.

the best thing u can do is to make it nice and pretti, that way it will save fuel the pretti way = )

Camry's aren't built for speed.

Try Supra...

Or buy the V6 Camry?

I agree Camry's arent built for speed but that doesnt mean they dont/cant go fast in V6 guise. I would say get the 1MZ-FE V6 Camry, I have surprised many a Falcodore driver and beaten or equalled many of them in my "Cardigan" Vienta Grande, it has a fully reconditioned motor with 50 k's on it now, stock standard no mods. The power to weight ratio of the 98 V6 Camry versus the Jurrasic "Ecotec" VT Dungadore of same era for example proves the Camry IS faster (do a quick search if you need evidence), I know this first hand as Ive seen a few owners with red faces. I believe that is was popularly held, and internet searches will prove that the Camry V6 was the fastest locally made six during the era when it was first made. An RACV test which can be seen at link below showe dthat the V6 Camry they tested was almost a second faster than the Dunnydore over the 0-100.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Int...a+camry+(1997-)

LOL a rice cardigan! :lol:

I reckon my VX calais looks more "cardigan" than my Camry, especially with its dark tint sunroof etc (Calais's hardly ever have sunroof where on the Grande it had to be deleted if you didnt want). P.S The Calais is up for sale looking to replace with a late model Corolla.

why would u waste precious $$$ on a straight4 when u can use that money to buy a v6?

if youre still not convinced, all u need to do is "attempt" with a capital A, to out run anything at the lights from stationary - whether it be a 89' corolla or a mazda 323, swift, focus, nissan bluebird, pulsar, anything!!!! (just not another older camry), and i'll tell you that u'll end up wasting fuel cuz you aint gonna come out on top.

with 94kW @ 5200rpm, a gross vehicle mass of 1825kg and Acceleration 0-100Km/h in 12.4 secs, whatever EXTRA you put under the bonnet in the 4cylinder will not help much, i guarantee you.

the best thing u can do is to make it nice and pretti, that way it will save fuel the pretti way = )

do they really weigh that much...omg

how much does gen3 v6 weigh, my guess about 1450kg... 0 -100 say 8.5secs does that sound right...

thanks...

do they really weigh that much...omg

how much does gen3 v6 weigh, my guess about 1450kg... 0 -100 say 8.5secs does that sound right...

thanks...

this is a 95 v6 vienta

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=105284

this is a 93 v6 camry

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=104611

i didnt know they were a huge difference in power increases...?~! from 94kw to 136kw.

• 3 weeks later...

You have a couple of options - being that money isn't an issue:

1. Get ahold of a low kms 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6 and source the TRD Supercharger. A direct bolt on basically. I know someone in the US that bolted one onto his car by himself within a few hours.

2. Swap the engine for the 2.0L 3SGTE ST205 with front mount intercooler. It'll probably cost more, as you'll need custom plumbing, intercooler install, etc etc. A mate from Auscam currently has his Gen 2 Camry show car in the shop getting the engine swapped around. Keep your eyes out in the car mags - he'll be in it before long, lol (Already had his car in AutoSalon in Brissy and stuff).

3. Turbo the 5SFE. Campbell from Auscam has only just completed his... from last post anyway. They needed to re-do the heads, and brought the compression to 8:1. Everything on the 5SFE needs to be custom made mate - expect to pay big dollars.

If you're after an engine which has low compression, and lots of potential, go the 3VZ-FE 3.0L V6 engines from the Gen 3s... I know ANOTHER guy through the same forum I'm with who's in the process of building that up.

My 2c :P

Any info you need from those lads - auscam.freeforums.org :)

Edited by Whip Cracker

if money isnt an issue, SELL IT ! and get a manual V6, its a bigger better foundation to start on then the I4.

even then all you need to do is open up the breathing with a CAI and a exhaust kit and put a decent set of tyres on and your laughin,

trying to turbo the 6 looks expensive, but if your really lucky you might stumble upon a TRD supercharger for the 1MZ

• 2 weeks later...

Just to reiterate what I posted before...

Best bang for your buck:

1. 3SGTE inplant - they go like rockets

2. a 3VZ or 1MZ conversion, with bolt-on TRD Supercharger. I know someone on Auscam who's selling one... wouldn't be suprised if it's gone already though... I may have a contact for you in the States who can get ahold of them though?

• 1 month later...

If money is no object...

1 - Buy a 3VZ-FE V6 engine, have it fully rebuilt/cleaned up

2 - Do an auto-manual conversion

3 - Whack it in, take it to a shop and ask for a turbo setup :D

Will be full custom, but I think would be great...V6 has enough low-end grunt (I know, I've got one haha), it needs help in the top end...turbo will fix this :D