Tow Bar - factory fitted or not??

vegemite

I will take possession of my BRAND NEW AWD KLUGER KX-S in app. 9 days, 2 hours, 2 minutes and 4 seconds!!!

My question is, is it better to buy a factory fitted towbar from Toyota or will I save money (and is it worth it) if I buy the tow bar from an aftermarket place?

Not sure if it makes a difference, I have front and rear parking sensors installed.

Oohh what a feeeeliiiing :yahoo::yahoo:

Well put it this way; Ive heard from two different sources, (one that works for Toyota), that Hayman Reece make all the towbars for Toyota anyway.

I was quoted $493 for a Hayman Reece towbar fitted. The Toyota one is somewhere around the $750.

The Toyota towbar has a three year warranty if installed on a new vehicle, or one year if car is out of warranty.

The Hayman Reece tow bar has a lifetime warranty.

The onlky downside I can think of, is that the Toyota fitted towbar, appears to replace the back plate on the Kluger, so that the wiring and bar itself, come out of their own holes.

For example; http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/30446.jpg

I imagine the Hayman Reece towbar kind of pokes from underneath.

For example; 30446.jpg

I imagine the Hayman Reece towbar kind of pokes from underneath.

Yes it replaces the whole white bit (I have the part in my garage) which like a diffuser of the car.

I like the tow bar. I bolted on the structure of the car very well.

I saw a non-Toyota tow bar on a Kluger and it didn't look good. It looked too long, but I think that was because it not going through the rear panel. I don't know what brand it was but the car was from the same dealer I got my car from.

Whatever one you get, you would always want to look at an example first.

The cost difference isn't huge, but you had better make sure that Toyota are quoting everything as I think that the tow bar, wiring harness and connector are different parts ordered separately.

I saw a non-Toyota tow bar on a Kluger and it didn't look good. It looked too long, but I think that was because it not going through the rear panel. I don't know what brand it was but the car was from the same dealer I got my car from.

Whatever one you get, you would always want to look at an example first.

The cost difference isn't huge, but you had better make sure that Toyota are quoting everything as I think that the tow bar, wiring harness and connector are different parts ordered separately.

\Many thanks for all the replies. :whistling:

I saw a non-Toyota tow bar on a Kluger and it didn't look good. It looked too long, but I think that was because it not going through the rear panel.

Im currently re-negotiating my order on a late 2007 Kluger KXR, so far they are dropping $2k off the price. The other thing Ive asked is for the rear panel to be thrown in. (getting a Hayman Reece tow bar myself)

Their spare parts dept was closed, so I couldnt close the deal today. Tomorrow, ill find out how much that panel is, and if it is in fact available as a seperate part. (not as a package in the tow pack)

Ill report back as to its cost if its available on its own.

Rang around today, it was a little confusing.

Castle Hill Toyota claim there is no seperate plastic panel for the tow bar, they make their own holes. :huh:

Terry Shields Toyota said it is a seperate part; $92 plus $4 postage

My dealer said; $102.50 and they wouldnt throw it in for free. :spiteful:

I told them, Id get back to them. They WILL throw it in if they want that car out of the yard (its an 07 model) :whistling:

Well put it this way; Ive heard from two different sources, (one that works for Toyota), that Hayman Reece make all the towbars for Toyota anyway.

They may weld up the bar, but they are not allowed to use the design that Toyota designed as it will contravene the patent design of the towbar.

FYI, Hayman Reese do not do ALL Toyota towbars. They aren't the only aftermarket welders out there that operate in Australia.

Edited by SmellyTofu

Yeah, I shouldnt've said Hayman-Reece do all the tow bars, but they DO make tow bars for Toyota Australia under contract.

They aren't the only aftermarket welders out there that operate in Australia.

Yes I realise that. :)

They sure do, and other manufacturers too where having a factory dedicated to hand welding towbars isn't the most cost effective way of building towbars.

Towbars in Australia are a pretty unique item that no one else in the world uses to the exact design (more so due to ADR) so nearly all the bars sold in Australia gets designed by Toyota Australia from scratch and gets tested so that the chassis doesn't break where I know aftermarket ones put some on, more specifically RAV4 towbars 4 bolt jobs that sure do fit (even those making bars under license), but almost increase the chances of the chassis to crack as major stress testing with a chassis isn't done on them (could you imagine the cost to test one and to physically crack a chassis with a towbar so you know at what forces is needed to break it?).

But at the end of the day, it's your choice.

Oh, the lower panel with the hole is a unique part that is to be fitted with the genuine towbar. Castle Hill is just trying to cut corners and do a dodgy.

• 2 weeks later...

Vegimite,

My gen toyota towbar complete with 7 pin regtangular harness/plug was at an all up total cost of $660.

No potentail warranty issues, all fitted prior to delivery, no hassle basically.

Although the female tongue does have excessive clearances tolerances within the male socket, The local dealer is happy to fix, as the right side tensioner nut does not stop movement under load.

Edited by fish475

Vegimite,

My gen toyota towbar complete with 7 pin regtangular harness/plug was at an all up total cost of $660.

No potentail warranty issues, all fitted prior to delivery, no hassle basically.

Although the female tongue does have excessive clearances tolerances within the male socket, The local dealer is happy to fix, as the right side tensioner nut does not stop movement under load.

Thanks for the reply. Is that fitted (everything included wiring etc)?

Vegimite,

Thanks for the reply. Is that fitted (everything included wiring etc)?

Yes totallly fitted, the invoice quotes $600 and 10% gst down the bottom of it showing GTotal of GST.

I have 5 accessories add ons and all were quote much cheaper than three other quotes. They must have room to move on this.

I was expecting a wiring harness charge to be addedas a, "forgot about that" but no it was $600 +GST :rolleyes:

Edited by fish475

• 2 weeks later...

I was quoted $550 fully installed and wired up, but then another $160 for aux power for the trailer brakes, im getting that done myself(like previous vehicles)

Thats ext gst, so $605.00 including gst, but as it will be novated, i dont have to pay the gst!

• 3 weeks later...

Sydney City Toyota today quoted me; "$795 + approx $50 freight via TNT" for tow bar assembly (08 Kluger)

Noble Toyota have quoted $609 + $50 freight - but Im not not sure yet if that is inc GST (probably not)

But the price is much better. I mentioned that ive ordered parts from them before and they've looked after me on price , and to my surprise I got a discount.