dent repairers

just wondering if anyone has hired one of those mobile paintless dent repair guys to fix minor dents on their car...

are they any good?

sydneysiders with hail damage im looking your direction - although i dont have hail damage, just minor dents on my doors from idiots in carparks

also wondering if these mobile repairers are any good as i was told by one panel beater not to use them as they werent any good. I also have some minor dents from a carpark when i was in Sydney recently.

forgot to tell you guys about this one time this woman in a delivery van parked next to me INTENTIONALLY banged her door into my passengers side door!

she had already climbed into her van, but for some stupid reason she pushed her door out even though she was already in her seat?!!

AND I WAS IN THE CAR!

I immediately got out my car, walked round the back and looked straight at her into right mirror, took a quick glance at the dent she caused and she sped off before i got close enough to her window!

shoulda remembered her damn business number coz it was plastered all over the van..

Guest fujiwara_tofu

lol i went to a tyre shop in a shady area... man this suburb was dodgey... (i had to go as only place with p6000s in stock that day)

anyways i am in ma car with the window down and on the phone. this middle aged euro dood bangs the door on ma driver side door.. i was likw wtf look.

oh mai gaad and he didnt say sorry or anything so on the phone i said "omg justin kun, this losar guy bangd the door on ma car and doesnt have manners to say sorry" the guy looks and still doesnt say sorry

SORRY TO HEAR BOYS. i would have just got out and bashed them regarless of if they said sorry. especially for that lady in the work van. lady or no lady i would have slapped her out. also curious about this dent removal thingy. also got some dents i need to get removed.

i had a similar case..

i parked my bro's car on the st... 1st car on st.. i got out and was about to buy a ticket.. then suddenly a mid age woman.. driving a convertible (astra? or the smaller 1), reversed & hit my bro's front and parked under NO STOPPING sign.

my gf and i were like... :o :o :o and this lady didnt care and kept talking on her mobile.. and laughing...

so i went up to her.. HEY YOU!! you just hit my car!

and she like.. :huh: :huh: :huh: and TURNED BACK and looked (staying in her seat) and didnt bother to say anything.. and kept talking on phone

i checked out my bro's car.. nothing much happened (coz the euro's front are very flexible) except the gap between the headlight and bumper .. so i called my bro.. and he said.. well if its no biggie then 4get it..

im like.. wtf!? some bitch hit ur car and u just leave it... i guess he doesnt care.. so.. i just left..

if it was my car.. i wouldve told her to say gdbye to her phone.. and fricken threw it across the street..

POPS-A-DENT

http://www.5starshine.com/info-popsadent.html

I bought them and they're awesome! works on small dents :)

CHEAPER Than going to the shop!

ANYWAY

i heard something like this from a crappy panel beater...

hmmm looks easy... will it actually make the dent worse if its not done properly? like... a huge lump.. :S

where can u buy it??

Edited by XploShun

I do believe this topic has been covered, in the corolla section, previously.

Anyhow, I have had a couple of dealings with a PDR (paintless dent removal) guy now, and I can tell you that his work was top notch. You cannot tell there was ever a dent there - only the original tiny scratch from when the dent was made remains (and I can only find it when I look quite hard)!

This work, however, does not come cheap. For something not quite as big as a 20c piece, it cost me $120. I don't know if competition in your area may drive the price down a little, but, from what I can gather, this sort of panel beating is a rather exclusive club.

Also, if the dent is quite large (ie. very noticeable) there is a good chance that the PDR guy will turn down the job. The tools they use arent exactly huge - they are sorta like long straightened out coathangers - so the tips they use to actually work the dent don't cover a large surface area.

So considering the price - if its a decent dent, you would probably be just as well off going to a panel beater/smash repairer and then getting a resprayer to paint it back to normal.

Otherwise, PDR is highly recommended!

There is a good guy in castle hill area.

Came around to my work, did my 3 dents ($130) and my friends 4 dents ($170)

No complaints apart from slipping when tapping the dent and marking the paint (Black paint though)

If you want this guys details, let me know.

ive found this site with some interesting info about dent repairs, the dry ice method, heat method...

removing car dents on a budget

this post i found interesting:

by shrek-unit at 12:06 PM on 04/24/07 Reply by Email *

I do PDR - paintless dent repair, specifially hail damage repair.

the dry ice and compressed air work on shallow large dents. not sharp dents or dents on body lines or the hail stone dents all over the top of your vehicles. and when you do hear that lovely 'POP' sound, the dent only looks better, its not 100% flat. but if you have an 85 tercel, better is probly good enough.

imagine this, you throw a rock into a puddle and you see the shock waves ripple from the center of the impact, out, right? well, metal does the same thing, except that 'shock wave' stays, and thats what keeps big dents, a dent.

basically, when the metal is impacted the shcock/stress has to go somewhere. think of an old oil can. by squeeing or pushing the bottom of the can, oil squirts out. even though you hear it 'popping', the can always holds its shape. what you are pushing on is that 'shock wave'. its what we in the PDR field call "stretched metal".

by rapidly changing the temperature, as these methonds are doing, the 'shock wave' is what you are treating, not the dent.

HEAT - applying heat expands the metal and loosens a little bit of 'stress' from the dent.

COLD- by quickly applying extreme cold will cause rapid contraction of the metal. a 'reverse ripple' effect from the stone throwing analogy above.

you are basically making the dent bigger and softer when you heat it up. then when you freeze it, you are shrinking it rapidly, causing the dent to buldge, and 'pop' out.

while hoping that you didnt ruin the factory finish...

heres some example of my work and what PDR can do that these other silly methods cant.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessejungle/BeforeAndAfter

forgot to tell you guys about this one time this woman in a delivery van parked next to me INTENTIONALLY banged her door into my passengers side door!

she had already climbed into her van, but for some stupid reason she pushed her door out even though she was already in her seat?!!

AND I WAS IN THE CAR!

I immediately got out my car, walked round the back and looked straight at her into right mirror, took a quick glance at the dent she caused and she sped off before i got close enough to her window!

shoulda remembered her damn business number coz it was plastered all over the van..

LMFAO you shoulda ramed your door into her car - just like that video i posted LOL "parking lot rage" HAHAHAHA go watch it if u havent ! omg hilarious stuff

no i didnt want to go that far.

yelling at her face while shes sitting in the drivers seat was more like what i was about to do.

stupid i shoulda taken the number down rather than take a closer look at the dent.

btw - that video was funny az!

Edited by JJCRU23R

My wifes 03 ttr looked like a golf ball on wheels after a hail storm when it was only 6 months old . Only 2 spots had to be painted as when the PDR guy popped them they cracked the paint , car looked good as new after . Not that it mattered she wrote the car off not long after :angry: