Took my Aurion to The drags

Just found this thread. Good work DJKOR at the strip, they are excellent times for a standard family car!

I'm sure under the right conditions and with a few tweaks you'd be able to sneak into the 13's :)

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys. Today there was another Test 'n' Tune held at Willowbank, so I decided to take my Aurion there yet again. Being a Saturday, racing started at 4:30pm, which at this time of the year in Ipswich means extreme heat. Ideally I would have preferred a Wednesday T'n'T, which there is one this coming Wednesday, because these start later in the day meaning it will be cooler etc, but I will be heading interstate tomorrow and don't like waiting.

Anyways, my main purpose of heading there was to ensure that my newly fitted K&N intake has not adversely affected the performance of my car. As per usual though, I was also aiming on beating my 14.131s @ 99.29mph 1/4 mile time. Beating this time has proved to be fairly difficult for me. I have come close a couple of times, but for some reason, I just can't match it... or even beat it. My best guess is that my tires at the time in combination with the track surface must have provided me with great grip for a great launch. Those who know drag racing would know that the key to a good ET is your launch.

Well the heat there was definitely fairly intense at first. This was seen by my first few runs being around 14.4s. At the time, air temperature was around 33 degrees with relative humidity around 35%.

As the sun set though and the air cooled, I managed to pull a 14.246s @ 99.19mph pass which I think was fairly alright. It's definitely not one of my best times, but it's up there. During that run, air temperature was 27 degrees with relative humidly at 59%. This is the third and fourth video below.

I'm not really satisfied with my times today because I didn't really match my best time, or even beat it but that said, I feel more confident enough to say that I personally don't think I have lost any performance by putting on my K&N intake.

While I was there, I took some in-car video just for fun, which also lets you hear what the intake/exhaust sounds like inside with the windows up. As well, I got video from the outside. Though unfortunately due to the camera and the noise all around, you can't head my car. I have a few things to say here before I get comments on it.

1) You will notice I didn't stall it high for my launch. This is because I wasn't able to get traction when I stalled it above 1,500RPM (probably due to the condition of the tires as I had played with air pressures already),

2) You will notice that I spun the wheels a bit in the fourth video. I wasn't intending on doing a burnout. I just did that because I couldn't avoid one tire coming into contact with the water so I wanted to dry it a little.

3) Despite being a T'n'T, I still like to focus on my reaction times as well. It's just a force of habit. Just ignore the bad reaction time in the third and fourth video. We staged before the time board reset so it took a bit longer for the Christmas tree to get going which messed me up a bit.

Anyways, here they are:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Edit: LOL, I just watched this more closely and listened this time. The commentator said something about 'maybe it's a she driving'. WTF.

Maybe its a she driving? Lol, wtf indeed. :lol:

Nice driving there. Disappointing that you couldn't beat your old time. Love the in car cam. I would love it if you were to be able to organise a race between a fully stock Aurion and Yours.

Your top speed of 160KM/h is impressive. I hit 170KM/h on mine the first day I got it, never again.

I listened again. I'm thinking it was probably in connection with his statement when he said "... got a 14 from memory last time. See what he does this time."

Nice driving there. Disappointing that you couldn't beat your old time. Love the in car cam. I would love it if you were to be able to organise a race between a fully stock Aurion and Yours.

Easier said than done unfortunately.

Your top speed of 160KM/h is impressive. I hit 170KM/h on mine the first day I got it, never again.

On the overall topic of things, it's not really that impressive. You trap speed (the speed you were going at the end of the 1/4 mile) is a good indication of your cars power (more specifically power to weight). I would really love to get at least a 100MPH trap speed while maintaining the car in its stock trim. Basically as a daily driver that can manage a 100mph trap speed. Problem is, I think I have run out of things to do to lighten the car whilst retaining it's interior etc.

170km/h isn't so bad with the Aurion. It glides quite smoothly at that speed. Even 245km/h is good... but stability is very twitchy as you would expect. Now that is one speed I will promise myself never to go again.

I listened again. I'm thinking it was probably in connection with his statement when he said "... got a 14 from memory last time. See what he does this time."

On the overall topic of things, it's not really that impressive. You trap speed (the speed you were going at the end of the 1/4 mile) is a good indication of your cars power (more specifically power to weight). I would really love to get at least a 100MPH trap speed while maintaining the car in its stock trim. Basically as a daily driver that can manage a 100mph trap speed. Problem is, I think I have run out of things to do to lighten the car whilst retaining it's interior etc.

170km/h isn't so bad with the Aurion. It glides quite smoothly at that speed. Even 245km/h is good... but stability is very twitchy as you would expect. Now that is one speed I will promise myself never to go again.

245Km/h thats impressive :D.

We would have hit higher then 170KM/h until we got stopped by errm.. :rolleyes:

But yeah, 170Km/h in the Aurion feels excellent.

I think some engine mods on your car would be good to get it faster. ;)

Excellent work Daryl. i guess it would difficult to squeeze any more out of it, sounds wicked too. I have found that it goes a lot better in the cool air in the evenings, can be a little sluggy on takeoff especially if it has sat around and the intake gets hot from the engine, once you get going and better air cools it the better it performs.

Hey mate,

i see you put different tyes on for the track, what thickness are they?

Cheers

i see you put different tyes on for the track, what thickness are they?

They aren't specifically different tires for the track. It just so happens that my previous set of tires were shagged prior to going to QR so whilst getting a new set, I thought I would get a more ideal size.

They are a 225/50R17 compared to the stock 215/55R17. In fact, for a 7 inch wide wheel, the 225/50R17 is the most suited choice for it. I don't think it has made any drastic improvement to performance, but I just feel more confident about it.

Took mine down tonight for a run.

Got a crappy 14.794 @ 153.75Km With a reaction time of 0.699

My best reaction time was 0.011 but only got 14.9

Oh wells after a bunch of races i just couldnt be bothered and went home.

I cant launch the car for ****, not a good enough driver!

It seems you were paying attention to getting a good reaction time. Remember that when you are aiming to get the best time down the 1/4 mile (showing which car is faster), then you don't have to factor in reaction time. Remember, the clock doesn't start till you leave the starting line. Let the light go green while you focus on getting your launch right. It can make a huge difference. So what if your opponent crosses the finish line first. You can then compare your ET's and see who has the lower one.

Here's a fun fact as well with respect to reaction times. Depending on the regulations your dragway uses, a perfect reaction time would be 0.400 seconds (can be 0.500 with a 5 tenths tree, but it would more likely be the 4 tenths tree). The reason for this is because the reaction time is timed from the last yellow light. The green light is lit up 0.400 seconds after the last yellow light, and therefore, getting a reaction time of 0.400 indicates that you left the line right on the green light. A reaction time any lower means you left the line early.

Some newer regulations with newer electronic systems now mean that they can time your reaction time from the green light. This also makes it easier to understand for spectators. I'm not aware of how widespread this system is though, so there is a good chance that they are using the 4 tenths tree.

Just letting you know in case you ever want to start paying attention to that as well.

Edit: Just had a look at Perth Motorplex (if that's the one you used). Turns out the reaction times start from the green light so therefore the closest to 0.000, the better.

The best way to know how good a launch you did is to check the 60 foot times. If it is around 2.5 seconds or less you will probably get a low 14 second 400m time in an Aurion.

Im not too sure about ur quote mate. I had 7 races all varied between 14.8 and 14.9 and one run at 14.7

These are my 60 ft times: 2.481 (14.847)

2.557 (14.964)

2.508 (14.930)

2.481 (14.823)

2.512 (14.874)

2.582 (14.962)

2.469 (14.794)

It seems you were paying attention to getting a good reaction time. Remember that when you are aiming to get the best time down the 1/4 mile (showing which car is faster), then you don't have to factor in reaction time. Remember, the clock doesn't start till you leave the starting line. Let the light go green while you focus on getting your launch right. It can make a huge difference. So what if your opponent crosses the finish line first. You can then compare your ET's and see who has the lower one.

Here's a fun fact as well with respect to reaction times. Depending on the regulations your dragway uses, a perfect reaction time would be 0.400 seconds (can be 0.500 with a 5 tenths tree, but it would more likely be the 4 tenths tree). The reason for this is because the reaction time is timed from the last yellow light. The green light is lit up 0.400 seconds after the last yellow light, and therefore, getting a reaction time of 0.400 indicates that you left the line right on the green light. A reaction time any lower means you left the line early.

Some newer regulations with newer electronic systems now mean that they can time your reaction time from the green light. This also makes it easier to understand for spectators. I'm not aware of how widespread this system is though, so there is a good chance that they are using the 4 tenths tree.

Just letting you know in case you ever want to start paying attention to that as well.

Edit: Just had a look at Perth Motorplex (if that's the one you used). Turns out the reaction times start from the green light so therefore the closest to 0.000, the better.

You are definetely right about focusing on the launching part. I know how the reaction times work, reaction doesnt matter.

I just wasnt concentratiing enough to vary which rpm launch and how heavy my foot would be at launch time.

I got fed up after 6 races getting such poor times, and just went home on the 7th. Haha doesnt matter atleast i know wat my first time went.

Oh by the way it was the Perth Motorplex

Edited by ZRSHIFT

I'm out of town so I don't have all my time slips on me (something like 15-20 of them), but from memory, all my runs that were under 14.5 seconds had a 60ft time of 2.300s or below. This isn't an exact indication, but it shows where fractions of a second can make a difference. It's quite amazing to see how it all adds up as well.

If I remember correctly, my runs that were under 14.3 seconds had a 60ft time of under 2.260s.

I'm out of town so I don't have all my time slips on me (something like 15-20 of them), but from memory, all my runs that were under 14.5 seconds had a 60ft time of 2.300 or below. This isn't an exact indication, but it shows where fractions of a second can make a difference.

Yes u are right. And launching the car correctly also gives u a good 60ft time and also the finishing time.

Well done mate i have to say, u are one awesome driver especially at launching ur car, i would love to hav gotten atleast a 14.5 but i havent spent anytime to launch and work on the foot work.

Well done mate i have to say, u are one awesome driver especially at launching ur car...

I wouldn't say I'm that great of a driver, I just drive my car enough to know how she likes to be driven. Bad habits as well like taking off hard at traffic lights etc. Another good thing when launching the auto is to make sure that if/when you stall it up, you do it as quickly as possible. If you stall it up for just that little bit too long (as much as a second or two), it seems to bog it down a little. Depending on how hot or cold things are will have an effect on this.

I guess if getting it perfect was really simple, then it wouldn't be much of a race would it.