What fuel to use

john_kowolski

Hi all,

We've just bought a new 2008? model KX-R? (the base model). The handbook says that 91 octane regular does the job, and on the fuel door, there is a sticker saying that E10 is suitable.

However, yesterday I was speaking to our mechanic who services our older car. When we mentioned the new Kluger (how we service through Toyota) he said that we should put premium in.

Now I don't know if I should use premium 95 or ultra high premium 98 (like V-Power and BP Ultimate). I'm in Sydney and I only ever use the big 4 chains (BP, Caltex, Shell, Mobil).

I know the 98's have additives in them (detergents), and the 95's don't except for Caltex Vortex (which, with a Woolies docket could be good value!), so would the Vortex 95 be a good idea if I don't need the octane?

If anyone has any expeiences or ideas that would be great, so what fuel do you use for your Kluger? and what premium brand is the best??

Thanks for any help

Good question John. My Kluger is on order, and i havent decided exactly what to put in it yet. My Lexus must have premium, and I seem to get the best bang for buck from the Caltex 95.

Incidentally, my dealer told me the Kluger will take up to e20 fuel. Dont know if thats coming out soon.

Taka, a forum regular here, fills up on standard unleaded and then tops up about 10 or so percent with premium (if i remember rightly) He claims he gets better economy by mixing some higher octane in.

In terms of safety and the health of the engine. 91 Octane is find, unless you are towing or racing the engine :yahoo: , anything that the ECU has been tuned for is ok. :) B)

I do mix the fuel ;) . Tell you what I found regularly.

I found 91 Octane have much worse fuel consumption compare a full tank of 98 <_< . I have to honest <_< and said I have not tried the 95 yet and I never have experience in them. They are the slowest turnover fuel there is in the servo. So I think fresher fuel is better (hence 98 Octane).

I tell you my experience. My wife and I just done 10000km in the car.

1. On city runs (around Kew and no freeway), although it is hard to know since the mixture is not the same everytime:

I get about 16.5L/100km on 91 Octane

but I get as low as 14.9L/100km on 98 Octane, but it is normally in the low 15L.

when I put 10% 98 with the rest 91. I get 15.9L/100km

2. I do long trip twice in this car, that is freeway only:

I get about 10.2L/100km in the 91 Octane.

But I get 8.9L/100km in the 98 Octane. *(then I go to the Great ocean road and it increases to 10.2L/100km, so I dunno)

3. One a time I tow my sports car, full 98 Octane gets 16L/100km.

Back trip uses the V power racing (100 Octane), I get down to the 14sL/100km :blink:

I think when the fuel is only 10c per litre more. It is like around 7.5% more of the 91 Octane. I think there is under 10% increase in fuel consumption. I thought it is very marginal. But the mix fuel is only marginally more expensive, but I get 3% better economy.

Go figure. haha. :yahoo:

I was told by my dealer that though:

When towing use 98.

Every 1 of 5 tank use 98.

I think it is logical. :toast:

Plus 98 has more power. So when I am driving it.... use 98. When my wife is driving it use 91 haha

Edited by Taka

Thanks Taka, interesting. I did a freeway trip last week on Shell E10 and got 10.3L. Very similar to you!!!

I'll try the 98 next time and post back.

I generally only use Caltex, does any one have experience with Vortex premium (95) v Vortex 98. Is the 98 worth the 4 extra cents/L in price difference??

Thanks

Dealer said to put 1 premium tank in every 4 fills purely as a cleaning agent.

We have pretty much followed this advice and to be perfectly honest have noticed ZERO difference in fuel economy. Thats using E10, normal unleaded and Premiums from all suppliers.

No need paying for fuel that makes no difference. Whatever small margins you MAY increase economy and power by using higher rated octane DO NOT justify the LARGE increase in cost.