Sunroof

noobler

Hey guys my 01' 7th Gen sunroof started acting funny. It opens and then it closes itself again automatically...

Service centre wants $150 just to look at it and recons it could cost anywhere upto $2k to fix depending on parts cost and labour? Does that sound about right? Seems like alot just for a window..

Any ideas guys? If I can fix it myself or if anyone knows what's wrong please advise..

Hey guys my 01' 7th Gen sunroof started acting funny. It opens and then it closes itself again automatically...

Service centre wants $150 just to look at it and recons it could cost anywhere upto $2k to fix depending on parts cost and labour? Does that sound about right? Seems like alot just for a window..

Any ideas guys? If I can fix it myself or if anyone knows what's wrong please advise..

2K!!!!

man you can get new one installed at that price... first thing, get the sunroof closed and then disable it (fuse, relay, etc)

if your only issue is the electronics are acting up, you could perhaps consult an auto elec, at least that way you know you're dealing with someone who specializes in that field.

Do the 7th gens have a service manual available for purchase (you'd think they do), maybe do some reading on it, and of course good'ol google :)

Better still have you tried another dealer! second opinion may help.

Sorry dont have any real answers for ya

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Zoran, It sounds like the roof is fine in terms of the mechanics/movement, perhaps its just the electronics/switch which is the issue here.

Get them to have a look at it anyways and diagnose the issue, or get any decent auto-elec. to take a look at it.

I mean worse case scenario, if its ****** you off and it keeps closing/opening, then just get the switch disconnected in the interim till you can sort out whatever is needed to fix it.

In terms of 2K. Sunroofs are expensive. If they have to replace the whole roof/mechnism/etc + labour involved, it's not cheap.

Do shop around though.

Just to clarify are you saying:

It opens itself and then closes itself automatically?

OR

It is opened (by you) and then it closes automatically?

How often does it happen??

If that car got some kind of ECU control unit,that may be will need to be replaced.

But first thing if disconnecting overnight doesn't works,you may try to buy CRC Contact Cleaner/Spray from Jaycar or Repco and spray liberally into the switch,relay and control unit if you could find,let it sit 1-2 minutes,tilt it dry or blow with air but no hairdryer.

Control unit maybe behind center console and relay usually behind kick panel with the other relays.

Have fiddle around lately with the electrical?