Another toyota with our engine

Plodder

Did any of you guys see the sunday herald driver section. They said that the replacement for the echo sometime 05/06 will be named the Vitz. And, one engine variant will be a 1.8 6 speed. I can only guess that is the same engine we have. Now that car should be a ball of fun to drive.

At last count how many different cars have the 2zzge engine...

1. celica

2. corolla

3. lotus

....anymore?

Eric

It's a trick used by most car manufacturers to keep costs down. as you may have heard, Toyota will stop the Celica and MR2 variants to make way for another sports car to compete with Nissan's Z car. so i guess that means there is a need for a car to make use of the 2ZZ. They probably spent a fortune developing it.

Toyota have always used the same engine in multiple cars. in the late 80's. the 3S-FE could be found in the Celica and Camry. my friends used to make fun of me by calling my celica a "two-door camry" :lol:

Toyota have always developed engine to be suitable for multiple platforms rather than outright performance. This is what's given Toyota the sunday school driver image. but the up side is that our cars have always been cheaper :) can anyone say "best bang for your buck"

Edited by qkslvr

but the up side is that our cars have always been cheaper  :) can anyone say "best bang for your buck"

Spot on Qkslvr. The Sportivo is sensational value. Though I must say that the sportivo engine and drivetrain in a 950 kg kerb weight car such as the echo certainly stirs the blood.

Cheers

gc

I love the look of the new Echo or Vitz or Yaris... The hi-performance version will only be released 2006 and not sure if it will be a Europe only edition. By then i think many other manufacturers would have come up with better cars. Maybe if they make it RWD with LSD? :P Drift Vitz!! :lol: I doubt the kerb weight will stay below 1000kg with the new body shell. Although the 2ZZ-GE ain't very heavy but add airbags, upgraded brakes, wheels, interior etc. will probably lift weight well over 1000kg. That is still a cool 100plus kg lighter than the Corolla ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

There is a great pic of a similar car (from the UK) that EGG posted a while back (the red one about 4 posts down)...

Some other topic

But remember just because it has a 6 speed doesn't necessarilly mean an upgrade to the 2ZZ, remember the latest MR2 has a 6 speed (steering wheel, push button triptronic) mounted to the 1ZZ.....

hahah... putting a 2zzge into an echo is a bit over-doing it isn't it??

I mean, this isn't like toyota. So i'm a bit surprised.

If it was to be a 2zzge engine which is roughly 190bhp and with addition of a roughly 900kg chasiss, this is going to be too fast.

It's gonna bomb customers away from corolla stivo.

The power to weight ratio is going to roughly 6.7 kg/kw which is much faster than the integra type r which holds a ratio of 7.89 kg/kw

In conclusion, i think 1zz-fe would be more realistic since the pwer to weight ratio is approximately 9.0 kg/kw.

there was a post a while back with an echo that has a 2zz-ge transplant. it looked pretty cramp.

i'm surprised they never put he 2zz-Ge into the MR2, must be because they did that deal with Lotus to supply the engine for the Elise. hehehe the MR2 is not that much heavier than the elise is it?

Initially, the MR2 AW11 also featured the same 4AGE then 4AGZE with the corolla back in those days.

Not until SW20 which then MR2 shared the same engine the Celica (excluding Australian Celica which featured 5sfe instead of the 3sge).

Maybe the latest MR2 is trying to follow the same trend of the AW11?

Did any of you guys see the sunday herald driver section. They said that the replacement for the echo sometime 05/06 will be named the Vitz. And, one engine variant will be a 1.8 6 speed. I can only guess that is the same engine we have. Now that car should be a ball of fun to drive.

1. celica

2. corolla

3. lotus

....anymore?

Eric

Your forgetin the USA versions Pontiac Vibe (SUV), and the Matrix which are both available in AWD versions (auto only for the AWD ones)

And for the rumors from toyota (USA):

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/rumors.htm#tc

Edited by MEGAGTS4

1. celica

2. corolla

3. lotus

....anymore?

Eric

Your forgetin the USA versions Pontiac Vibe (SUV), and the Matrix which are both available in AWD versions (auto only for the AWD ones)

And for the rumors from toyota (USA):

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/rumors.htm#tc

AWD Matrix not available with 2ZZ engine...... only XR-S

Edited by Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi