how does the wheels offset effect your car???

wil_rolla

i just got a set of second hand rims for my car, sparco 17*7 with the offset of +40.

i have a 02 corolla ascent sedan, with stock suspension atm..

will the new wheels offset damage anything like wheels bearings??

or will the wheels rub with a full load?

will it change the handling of the car?

i havent fitted the wheels yet cause i need to get new nuts to fit into the new rims,and i'm still trying to decide if i wanna paint them black...

Offset will cause "tram tracking" on rough or uneven rods surfaces. It can also cause them to scrub on full lock. So yes you have to choose something that doesn't have a waay off ofset compared to the original wheel.

dont worry about it mate those rims will be fine for your car :)

Great response .. you should work at a tyre store....

will the new wheels offset damage anything like wheels bearings?? Long term, it will place added stress

or will the wheels rub with a full load? You'll have to check the clearance of the wheels and tyres

will it change the handling of the car? Steering will be sharper, ride will be harder, handling dependant a lot on your tyres, if the wheels + tyres are heavier your braking distance will increase slightly and fuel economy will get worse slightly

Edited by SmellyTofu

thanks all...

i'v trial fitted them on and they have plenty of clearence..

the car rides alot higher, and as for the tyres, the 2 front are goodyear f1's and the back 2 are retreads..

i'm looking at getting 2 new bridgestone for the back..

although i still don't know what tram tracking is??? and how do i know if my car is doing it??

I've never heard the term before but I assume it's when the car has a tendency to follow grooves in the road. It happens on your standard rims but if the offset puts the wheels centre of contact further out from the steering knuckles pivot point, the grooves in the road have more of an affect. You know it's doing this when you feel the steering wheel pull to follow the grooves in the road.

btw, the grooves i talk of are those left when heavy truck traffic wears down a groove along the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, S.B

will the new wheels offset damage anything like wheels bearings?? Long term, it will place added stress

or will the wheels rub with a full load? You'll have to check the clearance of the wheels and tyres

will it change the handling of the car? Steering will be sharper, ride will be harder, handling dependant a lot on your tyres, if the wheels + tyres are heavier your braking distance will increase slightly and fuel economy will get worse slightly

at the end of the day he just wants to know if the rim sizes he stated will fit nicely on his car.

at the end of the day he just wants to know if the rim sizes he stated will fit nicely on his car.

Actually, his question was:

will the new wheels offset damage anything like wheels bearings??

or will the wheels rub with a full load?

will it change the handling of the car?

so your reply of:

dont worry about it mate those rims will be fine for your car

is kind of inadequate :)

thanks for all the reply's

and sorry for all the trouble :blink:

all info has been a big help....

i'll post picks up for all to see when i get the rim's painted...

abit off the topic.... but how the hell do i post pic's up any ways????? i can't seem to work it out and ether can the wife....

I've never heard the term before but I assume it's when the car has a tendency to follow grooves in the road. It happens on your standard rims but if the offset puts the wheels centre of contact further out from the steering knuckles pivot point, the grooves in the road have more of an affect. You know it's doing this when you feel the steering wheel pull to follow the grooves in the road.

btw, the grooves i talk of are those left when heavy truck traffic wears down a groove along the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, S.B

spot on mate spot on... :toast: