Looking for just the right head unit

-ALFI-

Don’t you hate it when you know exactly what you want but no one is selling it? I have a ZR rolla that needs a sound system make over. I don’t want to have a blank panel or tray under a single DIN head unit so I want a double DIN. I have got accustom to the Bluetooth hands free of the stockie so it must have that, must look cool with colourful display but not outlandish, don’t want cassette or DVD, I’d settle for single CD but 6 stacker would be cool. Is there such a unit available at the mo? Can anyone make and suggestions? I do like the Kenwood DPX-MP3110. (http://au.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainment/2DIN_Receivers/DPX-MP3110)

Yea I've been to Ryda, the JVC is nice but I recon the Kenwood is cooler, I do think unless I see something better in the next 2 weeks I'll get it (assuming I can find it), I miss high quallity sound. The Kenwood DPX-MP3110 has mad lighting, can cycle through all its colours or change according to music frequency level, sweeeeet, I gota see this. And I love the multi function knob. Its not quite what I was after, but close enough I guess. I love the look of the Clarion WXZ466MP (classy), but no bluetooth.

http://india.kenwood.com/products/car/2din...0/features.html (The inda website has better pictures and movie)

post-8029-1208948313_thumb.jpg

http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2008/aud...2391745143.html

post-8029-1208948543_thumb.jpg

Clarion looks good have you asked to see if bluetooth can be added as an extra but the Kenwood is sweet. :yahoo: :yahoo:I was looking at double dins but after visiting my local auto electrician for my lights. He had a display there and next thing i have an alpine head unit single din it has i pod function that goes in the glovebox 12 inch sub with box by Fusion going in the boot and a Clarion amp as well. Other things could be added when my car goes in for fitment. :D :D :D Alpine has a single din at the moment with a six stacker cd changer and single head unit for $399. Should be available at any Alpine dealer. The cd change alone retails for $499 i was told.

Edited by 1rocky

im selling my double din! has everything. check it out.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15127

pioneer avic hd3.

got inbuilt gps, dvd player, 7" touch screen, revserse camera (can also drive while having reserve view on) harddrive to store music on, bluetooth and ipod ready, has lots of functions on it! bit pricy but what you get is what you pay.

from what ive seen the clarion is the best one. main negative thing is the bluetooth as someone previously stated but from what ive seen it would be the best. i think the clarion max676 has best features but the new 2008 model has bluetooth in built so just wait till that comes out its also better value of a 1,499 price tag RRP

http://www.clarion.com/au/en/products/2008...2393796054.html

sound quality? go for alpine, w202 are now reasonably cheaper than other brands and still, ALPINE, HU that u can really trust. If you have the money, buy AKUMA's HU, my friend just bought it, it is one crazy HU, i dont like pioneer, but i love that HU.

I'd really love to get these two beauties stacked on top of each other

Don't know where to buy them though

And if you want sq i wouldn't go for alpine as thats what ive got at the moment and i hate the preset eq they have like set the bass to "80" then "1" for wide bass and treble to "17.5"

Just pi**** me off

Well i shouldn't say they don't have good sq they do.

It's just that why cant they make head units with nothing to mess with the frequencies???

And from the reviews ive been reading these McIntosh units are about the best sq you will get.

post-6366-1209953711_thumb.jpg

post-6366-1209953724_thumb.jpg

And i certainly would NEVER run alpine speakers. Sorry to rant on about alpine but they may have once been the best many years ago but every one else has caught up. And you can do BETTER than alpine. especially in speakers. And sq in amps hahah don't get me started on their digital amps hahaha their V12 amps prob their best in my opinion for sq

And if you want sq i wouldn't go for alpine as thats what ive got at the moment and i hate the preset eq they have like set the bass to "80" then "1" for wide bass and treble to "17.5"

Just pi**** me off

It's just that why cant they make head units with nothing to mess with the frequencies???

erm.. wat year is that HU?

Hey guys. I'm from the US, and I'm dying to get my hands on the Kenwood MP3110. The only place to buy it in the world, that I can find is Ryda but they don't ship to the US. Will this unit even work in my US car? Is there a reason Kenwood doesn't sell it here?

If someone could buy it for me and ship it to me, I'd make it worth your while.

Just pi**** me off

And from the reviews ive been reading these McIntosh units are about the best sq you will get.

post-6366-1209953711_thumb.jpg

post-6366-1209953724_thumb.jpg

Dude that pair together look totally T|TS! Classy retro, I love it. Doesnt look very MP3 compatable but. Love some sweet UV meters, if I could find some nice ones I might be persuaded to abandon my double DIN idea. I've never seen Mcintosh units before.

As for sound quality, I had a set of Kenwoods speakers and a JVC head unit in my old car, sounded fantastic, would have no issues about getting them again.

Hey guys. I'm from the US, and I'm dying to get my hands on the Kenwood MP3110. The only place to buy it in the world, that I can find is Ryda but they don't ship to the US. Will this unit even work in my US car? Is there a reason Kenwood doesn't sell it here?

If someone could buy it for me and ship it to me, I'd make it worth your while.

Even if the hole in your car is bigger then the double DIN unit, there should be a pannel you can get to cover the gaps, where theres a will theres a way. Ask at a local car audio install shop. I would assume even if Kenwood dont sell the MP3110 unit in the US (I would think they do somewhere) that any decent car audio shop could order one in from Kenwood HQ. Ask around bro.

• 4 weeks later...
Don’t you hate it when you know exactly what you want but no one is selling it? I have a ZR rolla that needs a sound system make over. I don’t want to have a blank panel or tray under a single DIN head unit so I want a double DIN. I have got accustom to the Bluetooth hands free of the stockie so it must have that, must look cool with colourful display but not outlandish, don’t want cassette or DVD, I’d settle for single CD but 6 stacker would be cool. Is there such a unit available at the mo? Can anyone make and suggestions? I do like the Kenwood DPX-MP3110. (http://au.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainment/2DIN_Receivers/DPX-MP3110)

Hahaha. I know the feeling. :)

I did A LOT of research too! I also didn't want to go single DIN (even if it had better specs and was ipod ready). and I wasn't really impressed with the 80's calculator looking 2DIN designs of current. Especially when single dins had much better designs and pixel like displays (at half the price). Anyways, after alot of deliberation and research, I STRONGLY recommend the SONY XAV-W1. Look it up. It's very well acclaimed and lves up to it's reputation. Im not gonna lie, its not "Perfect" but definately a buy I havent regret.. and i recommend to fellow corollians.

NB: its not ipod READY. you need to import a cable (blah, cbf). but does have aux in. or do what i do, burn a dvd with several hundred songs and search through the songlist on screen (ID3 tagging).

Edited by Jack_RollaWgn

Wow dude that’s a sweet looking head unit, I’m impressed. Not really my cup of tea but. I just like buttons, easier to find without looking. I’d never use the DVD player so it would be more stylish then practical for me. I found a good video review about it for anyone else interested in it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-stereo...7-32557350.html

I’ve actually decided against a new head unit, instead getting an EQ processor to go between the HU and the speakers. It will sound as good as any top end head unit, and I can keep the bluetooth and steering wheel controls, it’s the same colour/style as the rest of the centre console, it’s a 6 stacker and it won’t get nicked. Also getting MTX splits, boston amp and sony sub.

Audiocontrol Three.1

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?...2=&l1=17612

Edited by -ALFI-

i vote for a proper HU..

processor are when you have a proper HU and you just need that little more tuning..

btw, sony has a lot of sh!t HU, the one you choose, quite nice~ ;)

i vote for a proper HU..

processor are when you have a proper HU and you just need that little more tuning..

btw, sony has a lot of sh!t HU, the one you choose, quite nice~ ;)

haha you're dead right mate. i thought sony were pretty sh!t also, and not one i looked into. it was only when i saw this i thought KWAWWW!

i do think an aftermarket deck (even if its not this one) is the way to go tho. it makes such a difference!

for those who may be tempted, if ur getting one pro installed, you may wanna opt NOT to have it wired to the handbrake.. i didnt know this at the time.. (when you are viewing a DVD. it changes the visual to show a safety message and plays the audio when ignition is on and brake is off) .. but yeh, not a feature i really use anyway

i dont work for sony, nor am i one to boast; i just thought id share my wisdom so others can also enjoy car audio in thier corolla. :)

Edited by Jack_RollaWgn

I'd go the Alpine W202 headunit or the new one thats coming out and if you really keen on sq, add the processor to it. I'm using the D310e and its hasnt missed a beat in my sq setup.

And those PDX amps actually have very good sq. There are better out there but they cost a lot more.

Edited by STYLSH