coolant bypass

ok so ive done some research and im keen on doing this mod myself but can anyone tell me wat the little sensor looking thing is on the front of the throttle body.. it seems important but im not to sure also im having trouble getting the actually lines off they seem to be stuck on.. is it possible that the lines can melt on.. any info would be appreciated

The sensor is irrelevant in conducting the coolant bypass mod.

The hoses can seize in place over time. If you are able to lift up a small section and apply a tiny amount of oil between the hose and the barb and work it in a bit by wiggling the hose it will help with pulling them off and not tearing the hose.

The hoses can cease in place over time. If you are able to lift up a small section and apply a tiny amount of oil between the hose and the barb and work it in a bit by wiggling the hose it will help with pulling them off and not tearing the hose.

cool if all fails i might just cut the lines and replace them with some newones.. can you or anyone else tell me wat this sensor does

The hoses can cease in place over time. If you are able to lift up a small section and apply a tiny amount of oil between the hose and the barb and work it in a bit by wiggling the hose it will help with pulling them off and not tearing the hose.

cool if all fails i might just cut the lines and replace them with some newones.. can you or anyone else tell me wat this sensor does

Shouldn't cut them because you'll need them to complete the mod, just bring out the inner hulk :D

Shouldn't cut them because you'll need them to complete the mod, just bring out the inner hulk :D

from wat ive read i can just cap the throttle body off doesnt have to be the other line. does it??

How cold does it get in other cities overnight (Canberra is freezing!)? I assume warm coolant flows through the throttle body to stop it freezing right? Has anybody had this happen?

Don't worry the tempt in Australia won't freeze your throttle body.

I am going to do this with my Celica but the room to work with is much tighter than the corolla. (Stupid ECU box)

Anyway, just a quick review. Cold days in winter, the throttle body is ice cold even when the engine is at its optimum running temperature. Warm day, the throttle body is still cold. Hot day, the TB is just warm. Try touching that without bypassing it and it burns!

For $4 (the cost of buying the brass coupler) this mod is a fantastic way to prevent potential power loss.

I did a more detailed review for this thing, so do give it a search :)

Edited by DANZZT231

For $4 (the cost of buying the brass coupler) this mod is a fantastic way to prevent potential power loss.

Even cheaper if you just take the longer hose from the throttle body and connect it to the block and wrap the shorter hose back around to where the aforementioned hose came from. Plus it keeps debris out of the coolant channels in the throttle body.

How cold does it get in other cities overnight (Canberra is freezing!)? I assume warm coolant flows through the throttle body to stop it freezing right? Has anybody had this happen?

Don't worry the tempt in Australia won't freeze your throttle body.

Have you been to Canberra? Hahaha :lol:

Is it colder than Melbourne?

I thought Melbourne is the coldest.

Nonetheless, even in country like USA where it snow during winter the by-pass did no harm to them US owners.

Edited by DANZZT231

Whoa... flash back to my very first mod. and meeting danz for the first time.

lol.

I think in an old thread danz did a hard drive run on a cold night post mod and foudn that the TB was still cold to touch after the spirited driving.

I doubt canberra's cold weather will be much of an issue as I've had my rolla up in the mountains with the mod done and cold starts were fine.