Nulon Treatments

The additive "Roil" I was talking about has some creditable testing and information done by an independant tester(university of Qld from memory). Like most uni's you can't just get them to test your product and give you the result you want to hear. More often than not too they will approach the business with the product and ask to test it. So most of them that say "we got such and such a uni to test it" is prolly not the case. but moreso the uni was doing some research and wanted to see if the stuff really works.

When I get time I will post some info up on Roil. Northy, myself and few other Qld guys have used it and the results are noticable and does what it says it will. This stuff is used by quite a few race teams in Qld and a few V8 Supercar teams as well but they certainly wouldn't advertise it!!! Also used by a lot of Top fueler teams in the NHRA in the states as that is where the product originated from.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been a big fan of additives. If the additive was so good the oil blenders would have blended it in. Oil isn't just oil, they add stuff to it like Moly, anti foam and detergents. Adding other stuff to this can throw everything out. More often than not, the additive can cause more air to enter the oil and prevent the anti foam from working. Many of the additive companies will show the gear test where the oil climbs up the gears. However since they do it at a slow speed it doesn't show up this foaming issue.

I'm not saying don't use them, but I'm not saying use them. It's one of those things none of us will ever be able to test in a large enough pool to have data that means anything, and then be able to test most, let alone all additives.

I think that some fuel additives are helpful as I think our fuel is less than perfect. I also think that the only aditive to your oil should be oil flush (Diesel works well) if you have left your oil change a bit late or are not shore of the service history. But not in an old engine as it may clean the carbon that is stoping your car burning oil.

• 6 months later...

So, to dig up something from the dead, i found a nulon E30 long term engine treatment packaging box, and on the box, man - they have decided to make some pretti claims that are out there, and then some.

Test One

A Holden Commodore, after having it's engine treated with Nulon E30 Long Term Engine Treatment was driven from Sydney to Melbourne (1,031km) WITHOUT ANY ENGINE OIL

This test was scrutinized by a division of the The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) and proved beyond doubt the residual lubricating performance of Nulon E30 even without the presence of oil

NOW, to me, those words sound rather objective and subjective. the primary fact that they have used the words "proved beyond doubt" means that the results must/might have stated that the lubricating performance only proved beyond doubt that it works. so beyond doubt, but not certain.

2ndly, i know they said "without any engine oil", but did they use anything else in substitute? did they, substitute the 4-5L engine oil with 4-5L of the engine treatment? or did they use something else like water (lol), or something like canola/vegetable oil?

These claims are sooo broad, and just too subjective for people to believe, and yet they still do.

Whats more is that i cant find squat on the research finding on the web. ive tried, or perhaps im a n00b with google but if this test was backed with RMIT, it would and should be readily available for all to see...OR SHOULD IT BE? As the test may reveal that they in fact did pull a dodgy and substituted engine oil with another substance.

just my 2cents worth.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used a product called Slick 50 ?

I used the engine treatment years ago on my old Sigma , added it to the oil.

I really don't know if it made any difference.

Although I have not seen Slick 50 products being sold anywhere for quite a long time.

• 2 years later...
  • 12 years later...

Here are a couple of observations re Nulon from years back : I added some of the G60 for gearboxes to an old 4 speed Peugeot gearbox, 404, 504, the one cleverly designed with a leak prone vertical change shaft (what were they thinking 45 years after they invented the 16 valve 4cyl?) and was surprised that the synchromesh vanished.  Owner was not amused ! Synchromesh relies on friction, and I had to change the oil three times to wash it out enough for the synchro to return.

Another time, I ran Briggs and Stratton fire pump, (the sort that won't start on a hot day, now long gone) pretty low on oil, and heard from a distance that it ran faster and faster until it stopped at pretty much full throttle. Seized i thought,and good riddance. But no.  I had put Nulon in the oil, and it was good as ever, which wasn't very good, and it still used oil.

And if you put Nulon in a new engine as I did a bit soon, it will never run in.  Eventually it blew a headgasket some years later and it stopped using oil after running for a while on the well known mayonnaise.  

Today I put E20 ,tho not called that anymore, in an ageing 16V Hdi in a C5 and it was almost immediately quieter. I hope it doesn't block up the suction screen which has huge holes relative to the suspended particles. I guess it might have an effect on the hydraulic lifters.  I Hope not. Cheers, Jon