0-100 test run

After washing my car, my gf and i went for a quick spin on an empty back road to do a couple of split time runs..she had the mobile fone stopwatch, as i had made 3 attempts. On my first attempt i held the clutch in till about 5000rpm, released, crappy takeoff, the car was struggling to grip as the right front was smoking (Tyo 215's), didnt land lift in second either, landed at 5900 and reeled off a time of 7.34. On my second attrempt, similar takeoff just launched from 4000rom as the cluch smell was still inside the car from the first attempt, didnt land in lift again and reeled off a 7.28.......3rd attempt i made a rippa launch......but missed second copletely recorded no time. I had enough for the night and so did my clutch. Its still hard to say exactly how quick the car is as this method is subject to human errors etc, etc, etc, but one thing is for certain, a CAI makes alot of difference, and the car is definetly quicker than 8.4 secs.

let me add something about flat shifting here guys, now i am no race car driver.. or expert but.

At my last visit at calder my fastest time was 15.40 and that was with normal quick changed landing in lift.

I tried to runs with flat shifting and those times were 15.6 and 15.8.

Now unless i did something wrong (which i doubt, how can u stuff up a flat shift?) i think a normal fast change is better for takeoff as my actual time slips proved. I think the stock clutch does not handle bruttality well.

Just my opinion.

Btw low 7s thats good man.....

Motor magazines quote of 8.4 is very underrated

Stu got a holden driver to do a 6.9 flat shifting in his (before recall and alot of mods)

shao and I have managed 7.2 (pre recall and mods)

i wanna see some more 6's :P

Never attempted yet in my car because I can't get the Mrs to sit on the side of the road and wait for me (weight-shedding - 1 less passenger means less mass resistance means faster times...)

Might have to meet up with you Danthuyer over the Xmas break and get the ol stopwatch out....

Yeah still remember that day. I was in complete :blink::blink::blink: at how fast he was changing gears. Clutch in, gear change & clutch out faster than I could blink. Any slower than that and flat shifting is not any quicker than normal (As he said). Also is not good for the clutch for more than a couple changes.

Now with the TOMS flywheel, TRD clutch, ITG Filtered TRD CAI, Hondata gasket, Throttle Body Mod, CES Exhaust & Unichip, Lightweight racing alloys + the TRD extractors that were already on in the original 0-100 test... Can anyone say low 6's. Before I traded the Sportivo for the RX8 the only thing I had left to get was the CES exhaust.

If only I could have got him to run it again with all this stuff. Would have opened some eyes :huh:

Never attempted yet in my car because I can't get the Mrs to sit on the side of the road and wait for me (weight-shedding - 1 less passenger means less mass resistance means faster times...)

Also from my experience a lot less noise. If I hit the noise pedal hard not only did it make the CAI scream but also the wife :D :D

Motor Mag's figures will always be a little understated. Their figures are a two way average ( Two runs down the strip in both directions ) with half tank of fuel and 1 passenger. They do this to emulate real world conditions and not necessarily the absolute best that the car can do (ie-no passenger, lower fuel load, best time - rather than an average)

My 2c :P

Hmmmm guys flat shifting is not a good idea, you will put so much stress on your entire drivetrain.

A note on this takeoff thing, A lot of you guys seem to have a little difficulty. I came up against a stivo with an exhaust on night and mine was stock, I beat him by about 2 car lengths...... How did I do this??

Its real easy. Take off at about 3,000 RPM you do it any higher and your going to get wheelspin, change your tires for sticky ones and launch higher and your going to stress your drivetrain. DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH, just take the clutch firmly but with care to the top, slip it a bit, you will not hurt the car doing this.

Hold the accelerator down to the floor until 8,200

Change to 2nd quickly and then bring the clutch up to the friction point where you would normally hold it for taking off in 1st

put your right foot down hard and slowly bring the clutch up holding those revs around the 6,200 mark.

When the gearbox catches up to the engine release the clutch the rest of the way

rev to 8,200 change quickly to 3rd

bring clutch all the way up.

By staying in lift its amazing how much you will launch ahead or how much time you will shave off your sprint.

Clutch slipping is something I learned in my mini to counter a really bad flatspot at 2,200 RPM, I used to slip it out to 2,500 and hold it on the change. I also drove my lanos like that and my mums light ace to keep the engine in the sweet spot when running. I would like to note, I NEVER needed to replace the clutch on any of these vehicles, we had the light ace for 8 years.

Think of it this way. To replace your drivetrain is gonna cost you a bundle. To replace your clutch 500 - 1000 K's before you normally would............ well its negligable really because you were going to change it anyway :).

Edited by Blade Hunter

Hmmmm guys flat shifting is not a good idea, you will put so much stress on your entire drivetrain.

A note on this takeoff thing, A lot of you guys seem to have a little difficulty. I came up against a stivo with an exhaust on night and mine was stock, I beat him by about 2 car lengths...... How did I do this??

Its real easy. Take off at about 3,000 RPM you do it any higher and your going to get wheelspin, change your tires for sticky ones and launch higher and your going to stress your drivetrain. DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH, just take the clutch firmly but with care to the top, slip it a bit, you will not hurt the car doing this.

Hold the accelerator down to the floor until 8,200

Change to 2nd quickly and then bring the clutch up to the friction point where you would normally hold it for taking off in 1st

put your right foot down hard and slowly bring the clutch up holding those revs around the 6,200 mark.

When the gearbox catches up to the engine release the clutch the rest of the way

rev to 8,200 change quickly to 3rd

bring clutch all the way up.

By staying in lift its amazing how much you will launch ahead or how much time you will shave off your sprint.

Clutch slipping is something I learned in my mini to counter a really bad flatspot at 2,200 RPM, I used to slip it out to 2,500 and hold it on the change. I also drove my lanos like that and my mums light ace to keep the engine in the sweet spot when running. I would like to note, I NEVER needed to replace the clutch on any of these vehicles, we had the light ace for 8 years.

Think of it this way. To replace your drivetrain is gonna cost you a bundle. To replace your clutch 500 - 1000 K's before you normally would............ well its negligable really because you were going to change it anyway :).

I would also add to this the point of stabbing the go fast pedal before engaging the clutch on the shifts in order to match the revs to make less wear on the syncros also!!!!

I would also add to this the point of stabbing the go fast pedal before engaging the clutch on the shifts in order to match the revs to make less wear on the syncros also!!!!

Excelent point, ESPECIALLY on the downshift :). Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuur, bwaap Buuuuuuuuuuuuur :P

Oh and has anyone else notice how damn easy the Stivo is to shift clutchless?? :). I generally don't do it because there is no need in this day and age (another bad habit from the Mini) but I tested it out one day its like super easy :).

Excelent point, ESPECIALLY on the downshift :). Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuur, bwaap Buuuuuuuuuuuuur :P

Oh and has anyone else notice how damn easy the Stivo is to shift clutchless?? :). I generally don't do it because there is no need in this day and age (another bad habit from the Mini) but I tested it out one day its like super easy :).

Synchros on every gear baby!

Synchros on every gear baby!

It still ensures less stress on the car, your not forcing the drivetrain to be tentioned and the motor to increase revs by force if you match the revs on the downshift :).