windows xp service pack 3

JJCRU23R

I didn't even realise there was a service pack 3!!

I'm still using 2 - and, quite frankly, thats where I'm going to stay for a while. This is pretty stable - I haven't had any problems in 2 years.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that modern programs are only compatible with XP and similar, I would still be using Windows 98 SE...

Don't do Vista - It's horrible. Sure it looks good - but its a complete memory whore. If what I've read is correct, it can use something like 40% of your system resources at any one time!!

Edited by Leroy

go for vista ultimate ^^" pretty~

UNLESS u do a lot of XP stuff that vista might not support, BUT u always can swap back easily?

i use both windows xp sp3 and windows vista sp1 on the same laptop n i recommend that u dont bother with the sp3, its a waste of a download

some of you might know i work at a computer shop and i can tell you vista is the biggest ram sucking OS out. ive got 2 GB ram on my laptop and im not even doing anything and its using 700MB. WTF???

Vista is a little too ahead of it's time at the moment methinks. Windows XP has, and will be fine for a while still. The only reason I'll ever consider upgrading to Vista will be for future games (pixelshader).

UNLESS u do a lot of XP stuff that vista might not support, BUT u always can swap back easily?

You can go 2000 - XP - 2000

You cant go XP - Vista - XP

Unless you know exactly what you are doing you are likely to corrupt your HDD.

Vista is in the same stage as XP was when it first came out.

I work in IT and we cover most of the retail stores accross Australia/NZ and most of our clients are still using 98, 2000 and only some using XP.

No one is even touching Vista.

I work in IT and we cover most of the retail stores accross Australia/NZ and most of our clients are still using 98, 2000 and only some using XP.

i think that only applies to retail. most corporate businesses (i work at worley parsons) are using xp. as were my two previous jobs at suncorp metway and telstra. using 98 is a little...outdated. u'd find a lot of applications aren't supported by 98.

I heard a story that The Department of Environment and Heritage here in Canberra re-hauled all their pc's with Vista. Lotus notes = fail. 100% of their corporate software - fail. It was Epic Fail everywhere, and all hands on deck apparently.

i think that only applies to retail. most corporate businesses (i work at worley parsons) are using xp. as were my two previous jobs at suncorp metway and telstra. using 98 is a little...outdated. u'd find a lot of applications aren't supported by 98.

i guess my point was most companies in general don't like Vista.

As for SP3, if you have the time + DL to burn, by all means, but from what i have seen, not worth it.

yall can keep talkin bout vista, ill just go ahead and dl the sp3 when i get home... lol

apparently some people have said their xp is faster now with the sp3.. not that im complaining about the speed of my pc but if it improves performance then im all for it.

anyone know anything about the xp media centre thingo? i want to hook up my xbox360 with the pc but i need the media centre thingo in my pc.

Edited by J_J

when i downloaded it i got a blue screen on reboot and it was really frustrating.

it wouldnt be the first time something like that happened because of something you downloaded - whether it was intentionally or unintentionally downloaded into your pc. anywayz, i have been reading through the "overview" of sp3... it seems that its useful to people who dont regularly download the individual updates that come up at random times... id have to put my hand up for that since i usually ignore those updates.

when i downloaded it i got a blue screen on reboot and it was really frustrating.

it wouldnt be the first time something like that happened because of something you downloaded - whether it was intentionally or unintentionally downloaded into your pc. anywayz, i have been reading through the "overview" of sp3... it seems that its useful to people who dont regularly download the individual updates that come up at random times... id have to put my hand up for that since i usually ignore those updates.

Those updates are usually fine to ignore - an IT guru friend of mine describes them as "microsoft having violent sex with your pc"...

I too work for an I.T company... & majority brands/companys are using XP... with one brand supermarket just changing over recently to XP from Windows NT on there POS workstations, lolz...

i downloaded it the other night, had no problems what so ever...

yall can keep talkin bout vista, ill just go ahead and dl the sp3 when i get home... lol

Why do you need SP3 anyway? What do you want to do that you cant do with SP2?

i dont need it..

but it will stop annoying me if i have it

I downloaded it, didnt notice any performance difference nor have i had any issues with it

But its only ~300mb so why would you not download it.. being a service pack it does contain a lot of security updates, bug fixes, etc.

Now i actually envy people with xp.. well i always hv :P cause i bought this laptop and it came with vista.. trying to get back to XP on this thing is kinda pain in the *****.. need to find my own copy of xp (not tht hard) but then i need to find all the stupid drivers which may be an issue to do...

Well I upgraded to SP3 about a week ago. Haven't come across any problems with it. Installation time was a little long though.

Edited by puma.