Toyota Factory Fitted Alarm

Just bought a new Yaris yesterday and had the ppl in Toyota trying to upsell me an Alarm system.

Do you guys think its worth it?

Personally ive had my Corolla since 2004 and parked it out on the street and nothing has ever happened.

Though my concern with the Yaris is this:

1. Yaris is a popular car (given all its safety features and all).

2. Quite a large number of Yaris drivers have P plates stuck on them

3. My guess is that the likelihood of Yaris' being in an accident are quite high (due to the large volumes of them, not because they are accident prone vehicles).

4. This would lead to a large blackmarket of parts required for repairs.

I recall reading something about other people's corolla sportivos getting broken into and have the steering wheel / airbags stolen, should i be concerned if its a Yaris?

The alarm was $795, and because the Yaris only comes with ONE remote key (stupid Toyota) it will cost me a further $495 for a 2nd key. This way they can code up both keys.

Apparently if you use the non remote key, the only way you can disable the alarm is by hitting a switch in a location "only known by you" inside the car.

Frankly thats not very impressive to me, cos there needs to be balance between

where the alarm can be disabled if need be vs i need to be able to disable it quickly as i dont have a 2nd remote key.

Anyways, would i be better off fitting an after market alarm such as Brant?

Edited by neK

aftermarket alarm will cost similar price installed, works the same, but more options(auto start? further range? microwave? sensor? bonnet? auto-close window?...)

Seeing a lot of people ask about alarm, here, recommended by danny~

Mongoose M80AU (Standards Approved) M80AU is the M80S(normal alarm) + Ultrasonics Sensor

Supply and Fit $450

Supply $220

(this is the cheapest deal i have found so far)

3 circuit automatic engine immobilisation

Protects bonnet, boot and all doors

Battery back-up siren with soft chirp

2 stage impact sensor

Ultrasonic Sensor

2 water resistant remote controls (SAW resonator)

Silent arm/disarm by remote

Sensor disable by remote

Remote panic

Car finder by remote

Chirp and indicator confirmation

Turbo timer interface software (timer not supplied)

4 digit PIN code override

Programme your own PIN code to a number you will not forget ! (deletes factory setting)

Standards black wiring and concealed main plug

Built-in central locking relays (saves on cost of installation)

2 stage unlock (optional)

Boot release (optional)

Dome light supervision (optional)

11 programmable features

5 year product warranty

Ultrasonic Sensor produces ultra high frequency sound waves, which bounce off all surfaces inside the car. A receiver then picks up the reflected sound waves and sends a trigger signal to the connected alarm when a change in the shape of the echo is detected.

(simply english=detect what the fuk is moving inside the car, and dont care wat happen outside)

OR you can get other sensors with the alarm:

Microwave sensor: uses radar technology to detect the disturbance of, or mass movement in its field of operation. Detection produces a contact closure.

(simple eng again=detect BIGG fuk moving outside n inside the car, i think)

(but sometime might trigger by thunderstorm? big truck passing by? hale storm?)

Glass breaking sensor: i think this doesnt need explaination.

ok, so, alarm installed will cost around say $500. Then to upgrade a little, you can get a GSM tracking system, again range from $200-$2000(stupid to buy..IMO). I myself, am using a $250 GSM tracking thingy SEPERATE from the alarm system.. I can check where is the car with a call, and feedback from a message with location(coordinate), then i search it on google map... there you go~ if you steal my car, u are dead, i will burn your house down.

Better someone start asking, yes, clever thieves will disconnect the battery when car stolen and kept safe, BUT some GSM tracking system does not need to be connected to the car battery, it is just like a mobile phone(maybe smaller) and you can hide wherever~~ I dont rely on alarm with backup/standby battery, coz i seen them screaming for 30 seconds, then dead(out of battery), thou the manual says will last for 5 minutes..

But reality, if they want to steal your car, no matter what alarm, they will be able to do it. This i dont know why.. i just heard from some viet doggy guy(NO OFFENSE)