Help needed

pwill

Hi Guys,

Have a 2004 Ateva. Nice car, goes well, eats fuel, but there again my last car was VS Comodore. A noise which I can best describe as a pinging / tingling noise is clearly audible when ever the engine is under even the slightest load. Toyota experts say the noise is consistant with the model. Apparently something about the exhaust gasses at high velocity hitting something like a flexible exhaust joint. Very noticable when windows are open (even a tiny bit) and exceedingly noisy when driving thru areas of rock wall close to the road. Every Camry I have listened to makes the same noise and I believe even the 4WD Toyotas make it.

Anyone any idea what the fix to this is other than 1. leave the windows up or 2. turn the stereo up.

Thanks

Phill :ph34r:

Yeah toyota have had this problem for years (I am stuffed why they keep doing the same mistakes),The older model seca's and other toyota models have the same problem 2, Being an exhaust fitter, i have replaced the flexi joint with one that has a internal stainless steel braid to reduce the noise... but these flexible joints aren't cheap and they aren't easy to fit ether, as they need to be welded in. Though i dont quite know if it will fix your noise as i haven't done a new V6 camry, and if it has tube type manifold, as these tend to make a noise like what you describe aswell, its what we call "pipe noise" in the exhaust industry...

• 4 months later...

Ive noticed this on other camrys as well.... Though i do think that the camry engines do tend to sound very metallic.... however i dont quite have this problem on mine. Only when i have crap fuel does this sorta happen... Is it only type specific to the V6's? Ive got a unmodified 02 sportivo 4cyl auto.

Cheers, Alex.

Yeah toyota have had this problem for years (I am stuffed why they keep doing the same mistakes),The older model seca's and other toyota models have the same problem 2, Being an exhaust fitter, i have replaced the flexi joint with one that has a internal stainless steel braid to reduce the noise... but these flexible joints aren't cheap and they aren't easy to fit ether, as they need to be welded in. Though i dont quite know if it will fix your noise as i haven't done a new V6 camry, and if it has tube type manifold, as these tend to make a noise like what you describe aswell, its what we call "pipe noise" in the exhaust industry...

Hi and thanks Alex for your reply.

I have been down the fuel saga and the noise seems to

get worse when using a premium fuel.

The noise is getting worse, not better as one would

expect as the exhaust got a carbon build up on it.

I am a little disappointed that the engine doesnt sound like a real engine, rather just a toy engine. Would never buy another Toyota - to me they are just tinny ****boxes that eat fuel like there was no tomorrow and handle worse than a pram on floppy springs.. Give me my VS Comodore back any day.

Rgds

Phill

Ive noticed this on other camrys as well.... Though i do think that the camry engines do tend to  sound very metallic.... however i dont quite have this problem on mine. Only when i have crap fuel does this sorta happen... Is it only type specific to the V6's? Ive got a unmodified 02 sportivo 4cyl auto.

Cheers, Alex.

• 2 months later...
wat has toyota said tho

There is a countermeasure for this issue which will be available in Sept/Oct.

It involves an ECU replacement. I'd say wait till then and see your dealer if you find you have this issue.