Assumed Dash Flexing Rattles

fish475

Guys,

Well it's 3 days and the rattles/twiches have ceased and I have started work at 6.ooam Frid/Sat & Sun this weekend just gone in the cool mornings.

I don't normally work these hrs, but it's along story behind it. But I've Mon & Tues off because of it and my boats already hooked up.

With the rig in the back yard ready to hit the auto door button early tomorrow and do some trout fishing on the Hume Weir. (Sorry Alex, (Kruzenvax) had to put that in)

Yep no rattles/twiches/cruh noises, just me fan heater trying to warm the interior. Sort becomes unusual not to hear anything after you become acustomed to expect it and hear it.

Bugger looking at those rust bucket Territories now and ponder in thought.

The prob lied with the plastic infill full width thing that sits around the wiper assembly. This item has now some descretly positioned felt and if you zoom in and look real real hard. A little silicon is behind the scenes now, but you really can't see it, only slight evidence. Which is all good to me.

Also there is a small curved 90 deg plastic cosmetic thing that goes between the the bonnet join and the part mentioned above and the upper roof pillar connection joint at the base of the windscreen. There is evidence there of well applied anti rattle film. Anything under all this I can't see.

None of the fix is really visible to the naked eye. It's just that I've been hearing those noises for 9,000ks and I'm highly interested to inspect the solution as said by the dealer.

Now that my dash has had the twice over with felt/rubber and now the exterior job getting done. I guess all will be good for a long time. :yahoo:

the fix has been logged on Toyota's internal portal for other dealers to look up as a fix option to look at.

Jacobs Toyota Wodonga, Job Well Done Guys and Girls.

Alex, how did that Yaris test drive go, is your neck still cranked to the left?

Edited by fish475

Well, that's great news. Glad its over (fingers crossed). The only problems is - I can't see pcitures! Is there supposed to be a picture attached at the end of your message? Looks like the website is down. Can you please mail me the picture if it is not up soon?

Glad you have some time for fishing - not may case (still) unfortunatelly - perhaps till the end of June. Jindabyne trout should think of me as a traitor...

When test driving yarris I stopped by my dealer's service manager - great guy always willing to listen - and mentioned the story. He said - if I ever have the rattle - he'll be looking up Toyota internal info or even ring up your dealer to find the cause. I'll mention to him your summary if you don't mind.

Yarris... frankly we didn't like it (though the boss does like the speedo in the middle of the dashboard). But for some reason it felt very noisy and rough... will try the 1.5L model. Or perhaps its a better idea to upgrade the boat instead? :toast:

Guys,

Well it's 3 days and the rattles/twiches have ceased and I have started work at 6.ooam Frid/Sat & Sun this weekend just gone in the cool mornings.

I don't normally work these hrs, but it's along story behind it. But I've Mon & Tues off because of it and my boats already hooked up.

With the rig in the back yard ready to hit the auto door button early tomorrow and do some trout fishing on the Hume Weir. (Sorry Alex, (Kruzenvax) had to put that in)

Yep no rattles/twiches/cruh noises, just me fan heater trying to warm the interior. Sort becomes unusual not to hear anything after you become acustomed to expect it and hear it.

Bugger looking at those rust bucket Territories now and ponder in thought.

The prob lied with the plastic infill full width thing that sits around the wiper assembly. This item has now some descretly positioned felt and if you zoom in and look real real hard. A little silicon is behind the scenes now, but you really can't see it, only slight evidence. Which is all good to me.

Also there is a small curved 90 deg plastic cosmetic thing that goes between the the bonnet join and the part mentioned above and the upper roof pillar connection joint at the base of the windscreen. There is evidence there of well applied anti rattle film. Anything under all this I can't see.

None of the fix is really visible to the naked eye. It's just that I've been hearing those noises for 9,000ks and I'm highly interested to inspect the solution as said by the dealer.

Now that my dash has had the twice over with felt/rubber and now the exterior job getting done. I guess all will be good for a long time. :yahoo:

the fix has been logged on Toyota's internal portal for other dealers to look up as a fix option to look at.

Jacobs Toyota Wodonga, Job Well Done Guys and Girls.

Alex, how did that Yaris test drive go, is your neck still cranked to the left?

Well, that's great news. Glad its over (fingers crossed). The only problems is - I can't see pcitures! Is there supposed to be a picture attached at the end of your message? Looks like the website is down. Can you please mail me the picture if it is not up soon?

Glad you have some time for fishing - not may case (still) unfortunatelly - perhaps till the end of June. Jindabyne trout should think of me as a traitor...

When test driving yarris I stopped by my dealer's service manager - great guy always willing to listen - and mentioned the story. He said - if I ever have the rattle - he'll be looking up Toyota internal info or even ring up your dealer to find the cause. I'll mention to him your summary if you don't mind.

Yarris... frankly we didn't like it (though the boss does like the speedo in the middle of the dashboard). But for some reason it felt very noisy and rough... will try the 1.5L model. Or perhaps its a better idea to upgrade the boat instead? :toast:

The pictures were only my normal signature pic's that the host "myfishingpictures" has back on line now.

It's been 3.5days , so I'm comfortable all's Good.

I posted the entire story to certainly help anyone else, whilst not slagging. But I was getting annoyed, but not with the dealer as I new they would not give up.

My next novated car will be mid to top level compact Toyota for the misses as I'll be keeping the Kluger till retirement, then upgrading again to a new one for the Grey Nomad tour. Never thought I'd switch to Toyotas. The dealers service culture has aided this switch. A small car will cost bugger all in salary sacifice and allow more in super.

The Yaris was noising re road tyre transmitted noise. I drove a 1.5ltr and it was quite lively and had get up and go for a buzz box.

The road writer reviews do highlight the transmitted noise, but also rate it very well. Actually the best buzz box car. I personally never expected it to be as quite as a new Commodore or Kluger and wouldn't buy it for a highway car.

The speedo in the middle I personally disliked, but on day two of the loan Yaris car. It surprising just quick you start to be accustomed to it.

I thought the sloped down dash gave an impression of enhanced interior size. Due to it not being in your face.

In short I would not hesitate to get a mid model 1.5ltr Yaris as an economical second runaround car. But on a novation it would prob be a Corolla.

Yaris 5 star crash rating video with side airbag option

Barina 2 star crash rating video

Up grade the boat, now thats even better as with them we don't calculate or even think of petrol consumption do we.

FINAL UPDATE re this subject from me,

Well 11 days have pasted and I've travelled quite a few hundred kms, involving work and rec.

I've towed the boat up to Dartmouth Dam in the mountains and during a rather chilling early morning departure.

Also another trip towing the boat to the Hume Weir. These two trips on the roads travelled together with the boat attached acting as a catalyst towards exposing any rattles.

and

Still no rattles at all anywhere to be heard.

So if your kluger starts showing signs of any. Ask your dealer to check that whole with plastic area under the wipers as discussed earlier in my posts on this subject.

Edited by fish475

• 5 months later...

Well 11 days have pasted and I've travelled quite a few hundred kms, involving work and rec.

I've towed the boat up to Dartmouth Dam in the mountains and during a rather chilling early morning departure.

Also another trip towing the boat to the Hume Weir. These two trips on the roads travelled together with the boat attached acting as a catalyst towards exposing any rattles.

and

So if your kluger starts showing signs of any. Ask your dealer to check that whole with plastic area under the wipers as discussed earlier in my posts on this subject.

Hi fish475,

I hope your still checking this site. Mate exactly what type of rattle were you hearing?? My Kluger has a noise coming from the dash everytime I hit pot holes, the sound is more like a brief shudder or vibration coming from somewhere on the drivers side dash. While I guess I can live with it........it's a brand new car and it's giving me the ****es....Toyota have tried to fix it twice now but it slowly comes back after a few days.

Someone else on this site mentioned there are recognised problems with the clips that hold the dash together??

So fish if you can describe what your rattle sounded like I would be interested to hear.....and has anyone else had/have the same probs?

Cheers all.

and

Hi fish475,

I hope your still checking this site. Mate exactly what type of rattle were you hearing?? My Kluger has a noise coming from the dash everytime I hit pot holes, the sound is more like a brief shudder or vibration coming from somewhere on the drivers side dash. While I guess I can live with it........it's a brand new car and it's giving me the ****es....Toyota have tried to fix it twice now but it slowly comes back after a few days.

Someone else on this site mentioned there are recognised problems with the clips that hold the dash together??

So fish if you can describe what your rattle sounded like I would be interested to hear.....and has anyone else had/have the same probs?

Cheers all.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15497

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14915

RIC,

The above additional two links within this forum go into some detail re the dash rattles I suffered.

All noises appeared to be were the dash met the windscreen, plus some minor rattles near the top of the centre air con outlets.

At first the drivers side then the passenger side and then right across were the main rattle locations.

ESPECIALLY ON EARLY COLD WINTER MORNINGS.

Jacobs Toyota Wodonga were just excellent in dealing with me and the car and to that I thank them again.

Jacobs Toyota did download the problem and corrective fix on the internal toyota portal for other dealers to resource.

It's all notated within the three subject postings. Positive it was a guy at Jacobs called Adam who know all about, his name is in the fix of the problem post I think.

PS don't live with the rattle, ask the dealer to fix. If you have a rattle now in summer, it probably gona get a whole lot worse in Winter.

Hope they can fix it for you.

:rolleyes:

PS: I don't post as much now, but I do check this Kluger Site at least every second night.

Edited by fish475

and

Hi fish475,

Cheers all.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15497

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14915

RIC,

The above additional two links within this forum go into some detail re the dash rattles I suffered.

All noises appeared to be were the dash met the windscreen, plus some minor rattles near the top of the centre air con outlets.

At first the drivers side then the passenger side and then right across were the main rattle locations.

ESPECIALLY ON EARLY COLD WINTER MORNINGS.

Jacobs Toyota Wodonga were just excellent in dealing with me and the car and to that I thank them again.

Jacobs Toyota did download the problem and corrective fix on the internal toyota portal for other dealers to resource.

It's all notated within the three subject postings. Positive it was a guy at Jacobs called Adam who know all about, his name is in the fix of the problem post I think.

PS don't live with the rattle, ask the dealer to fix. If you have a rattle now in summer, it probably gona get a whole lot worse in Winter.

Hope they can fix it for you.

:rolleyes:

PS: I don't post as much now, but I do check this Kluger Site at least every second night.

Thanks fish,

I am onto my Toyota dealer now....I sent them these posts to view so they are now checking the Toyota Dealer intranet before I go in with my car so they have an idea of what to look for.

My Kluger rattles don't sound as bad as you experienced....but I went through something similar as you with my VE Commodore which sounded like father xmas's bob sled when you drove it, that Holden could not fix...so I sold it and came to Toyota after much homework particularly around quality, so when I heard rattles in my Kluger I nearly lost the plot....we will see what happens.

So I take it your Kluger is all good and no rattle returns?

Cheers mate.

• 5 months later...

I had my Klugie serviced and complained about the dash rattles, the dealer service advisor found a loose screw on the speaker behind the audio unit for the warning buzzer (so they claimed) and they did rectify the rattle, next was slight rattling sound coming from under the steering wheel, upon inspection I found that it came from the knee air bag cover. They re-fit it and no noise can be heard as yet. Hopefully thats the end of it.