Power

We all know that the Sportivo has 141 Kw, but alot of u on the forum have many mods to ur car. I was just wondering with the mods done how much extra power do u have?

Do the mods make lift even more noticeable or is it more the lower end where the mods make the difference?

Finally!

i've uploaded the dyno sheet for my exhaust. you can find it at

Exhaust Comparison

the blue line is the first exhaust...straight through...pretty crap system from liverpool exhaust. :angry::angry::angry:

the green one is from Carline Mufflers at Mt. Druitt (bloody excellent!!)... :D :D

and it was with a FULL Lukey system. Specs are as my signature.

made a big difference top end. really screamed and climbed! :D

Straight through isn't always the best for N/A. the lukey i used what a performance muffler..witha big of back pressure. wasn't completely straight through.

still sounded good...and was actually better than the cannon in terms of loudness and note. ;)

With the mods I have made (have not tested since installed the mandrel exhaust)

I was getting almost 106 kw at the wheels. I got an 5-8 Kw gain with the CAI so on Toyotas specs I would be churning approx 148 kw with the exhaust a should have a further gain which should pul me over the 150 + kw range. But untested at this stage.

Peekay helped me install the TRD CAI just before XMAS. It does make a difference through the entire rev range although it is more noticeable in the 3000 to 6000 rev range.

In lift it feels a lot stronger but it's hard to tell if its just your mind playing tricks because the sound is so amazing. It sounds like there are a lot more cubic inches under the hood.

Definately an overall improvement and well worth the $$$ :D

xTigerx, pretty interesting to look at your dyno sheets, you say that with the full Lukey system she screamed at top end but from what it looks like you lost a fair bit of torque as well. Did it bog down much at low revs?

I was speaking to a bloke on the weekend who fabricates and welds the exhaust system for the Monaro being exported to the US (under Pontiac badging) and he is mad keen about his Corolla's, he was telling me that it is much better for the 1zz and 2zz to have a really free flowing piping (at least 2inch as on Stivo) but to really restrict at the muffler.

He kinda contradicted everything else I have read on here with people placing huge barrels up the back. But I was talking to him in the early hours of New Years day so he may have been slightly affected by something and not talking too straight.

BTW the Monaro which will soon be sold in the US makes at least 25kw more than the Aussie model due to the exhaust alone, they have pretty laxed emmissions laws over there.

Toohey: Torque isn't measured on my dyno sheet. The semi flat line you see is my Air/Fuel Ratio.

No didn't bog down at all....although..when i hit 4200 (max torque rpm) it was more noticeable.

and the straight through cannon...crap!

you need a bit of back pressure for n/a.

u need back pressure for any engine. but the diff between a na and forced induction engine is that the turbo produces the back pressure, so u can pretty much put as big a pipe as u want. with na if u go too big u will loose alot of torque down low!.

NIKICH, the max power from a na 1.8ltr depends on the sort of cash u have.

u can get the 4ag(1.6ltr) with a 20v head to pump out 280hp NA!!!!!!

so with alot of cash u could get a 1.8 with 16v but with lift and vvt to pump out prob more then that.

Thats a nice figure!!! I would be happy with a little over 200HP but if if spending a little more mean more power i would be glad to pay

You know thats only 8 more kilowatts than what you have now don't you??

1 horsepower = 0.7457 k/w

1 k/w = 1.34102 horesepower

Now I could be VERY wrong here im going off of info that mates have told me and we all know what mates can be like when it comes to talking about things like cars ;) BUT they said 141 KW motor like we have is about 100 at the wheels. Again I dont know how real this is maybe someone in the know on here could tell us but thats what my mates reckon.

So 200 HP at the wheels would be about 280 at the flywheel which is 210 KW at the flywheel, you would need to increase your current power by 50%

BTW the Monaro which will soon be sold in the US makes at least 25kw more than the Aussie model due to the exhaust alone, they have pretty laxed emmissions laws over there.

OFF TOPIC....

Thanks for your input there mate... But I have to clarify a few things here... I presume your mate works for Walker as this is where the Monaro/US GTO exhaust is made..

The USA has some of the most stringent polution policies in the world.. The Monaro did require more than a little work to make it comply with the yank smog standards.. The Exhaust that is on the US GTO is almost identical to what you will find on the Australian model Monaros and SS Commodores..

The extra power is derived from PCM tuning... I can vouch for that having been heavily involved with the development of software to modify these beasts... For the knockers... carcoders.com ... Any garden variety GEN III Holden is capable of some awesome HP numbers with the right tuning.. Just didnt want that piece speculation to get outta control :) ...

ON TOPIC...

BOG Standard my Stivo turn 136.8 HP at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno.. By taking the lid off the airbox and facing it outta the engine bay we recorded 138.6 HP on a secondary run... I havent tested it with any of my new mods but we have a club dyno day coming up soon so I will try it then.. ;)

last night on the news i heard something about global gases, and they said that a few yrs bak there was a international thingy which alot of counrties signed. it was to minimise greenhouse gases. out of the few coutries that didnt sign aust and america(the country that produces the most greenhouse gases) wer present.

so i dissagree when u say that usa has stringent laws about emissions, mayb in a few states, but genereally they are very leanient.(more then many many other countries neways)

what r ppls opinion of the Motor Magazine hot hatch comparo and dyno test which showed the sportivo with 86kw at the wheels.

could that be the way they tested it or does it lose heaps of power from the flywheel to the wheels?

the focus 170 had 87kw the mini 89kw and the astra 100kw. the figures are not too accurate coz i dont have the article with me but they all ring a bell.

your opinions please

I dont know how they tested it but considering the st170 (170 meaning 170 horesepower) puts out something stupid like 127 KW, I can't see how it actually beats the Stivo at the wheels, furthermore 0-100 is a lot less than the stivo. A review I read said jokingly its funny how Ford spent money on putting traction control into the only 1 of the 3 hot hatches that doesn't need it :P

A friend who has a 2zzg celica (manual) had his car on a dyno stock standard - before doing all his mods - and it put out approx 96kw to 98kw at the wheels.

And Peekays with the TRD CAI did about 106kw at the wheels.

I think motor are in dreamland. Even their 0-100 time was slow. I have seen an article in a rally magazine where they recorded a 7.6 second 0-100 and the reviewer said the launch could have been better if he had time to learn the car. They believed they could shave another .3 to .5 off that time with some practice.

Exec6, the info you posted is probably correct. The guy I was speaking to was only a boilermaker by trade who does part of the welding on the exhaust system. From what he was saying I gathered that the emissions on the US systems were much higher, no cat etc.

But hey, I don't know either way I was simply repeting what he was telling me.

Exec6speed, i was look at ur pics in ur signature and noticed u have a pretty big spelling mistake. how someone whos very proud of driving a with the most advanced technology could make this mistake i dunno :P

just letting u kno that u spelt this wrong

"VVTi-L"

the reason its vvtl-i is cos it stands for 'Variable Valve Timing and Lift Inteligence'.