Having fun with Toyotalink

daxta

Hi All,

I picked up my new Aurion Presara a few weeks ago and registered for the Toyotalink facility. Didn't really think much about it until my wife decided to visit relatives in Melbourne while I stayed in Sydney for work. Since then, I have been tracking her on the internet and calling every now and then to tell her where she is!

Ok . . . so there are certain implications around privacy and paranoia however we've been having a bit of fun with it and IT IS MY CAR :lol:

I'm now hoping this comes standard on all cars by the time my kids get to driving age!!!!

Dax.

Hi All,

I picked up my new Aurion Presara a few weeks ago and registered for the Toyotalink facility. Didn't really think much about it until my wife decided to visit relatives in Melbourne while I stayed in Sydney for work. Since then, I have been tracking her on the internet and calling every now and then to tell her where she is!

Ok . . . so there are certain implications around privacy and paranoia however we've been having a bit of fun with it and IT IS MY CAR :lol:

I'm now hoping this comes standard on all cars by the time my kids get to driving age!!!!

Dax.

It certainly can be fun to play around with such a feature. At least in this case, your wife is aware that you have the ability to track her, so a situation like that is all good. It's amazing how such technology has worked it way into the consumer market.

If I had to borrow someone else's car with Toyotalink, first thing I would do is pop the bonnet and remove the fuse. Not that I have anything to hide or anything :whistling:

wonder if it'll become cheap enough one day and maybe become standard

like how they made engine immobiliser standard by law couple of years ago

as for privacy maybe next generation systems would have encryption, selective service, etc

Im Just Curious..

So It's only within a Presara rite?

Is it possible to install it in other Aurion Models?

I believe it's been available for a few years on Toyota's 'top' cars. So it was on the Camry Azura and Camry Grande until Aurion Presara came out.

I remember seeing that the ZR6 had a similar instrument panel on the roof (for controlling the moon roof), and there was a blank faceplate in the area where the Toyotalink buttons go. So you may be able to get it added. Can't remember how the other Aurions were configured.

Provided you can obtain the parts, you can install pretty much anything from a higher grade car into a lower grade of the same model. It all comes down to how much you want to spend, and how much time you will take to make it look like a factory feature. For example, you will need to run the wiring for the Toyotalink, and considering there is a fuse space in the engine bay fuse box, you would have to go through there if you wanted that "factory fit". Otherwise, if yyou do it your own way and can get your hands on the item, you too can have the Toyotalink in your Aurion.

.. Since then, I have been tracking her on the internet and calling every now and then to tell her where she is! ...

Now my wife wants to know where I am - by the way how did you do that? Thanks.

BH

if it works as in a GSM/GPS tracking system, it is easy to buy, not expensive too.. around $300.. i put one of these in both my car.. track online too.. doesnt really need to pay high dollar for toyota.

.. Since then, I have been tracking her on the internet and calling every now and then to tell her where she is! ...

Now my wife wants to know where I am - by the way how did you do that? Thanks.

BH

Toyota provide a Toyotalink website which you can log onto once you have registered the car. While online, you can check battery status, odometre reading, estimated service date, even whether your ignition is on or not . . . and of course the "Where is my car" option which shows a small map and address of current location.

May not be for everyone, but I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to gadgets and pushing buttons :P which is why I got the Presara in the first place!

May not be for everyone, but I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to gadgets and pushing buttons :P which is why I got the Presara in the first place!

Thanks - I used once just for registration and they call me once - I now have to find out where is my logon & password otherwise call them to get new one. By the way, all my manuals disappeared after my first service, Toyota only gave me a manual for the GPS/NAV system. Again, many thanks.

BH

Thanks - I used once just for registration and they call me once - I now have to find out where is my logon & password otherwise call them to get new one. By the way, all my manuals disappeared after my first service, Toyota only gave me a manual for the GPS/NAV system. Again, many thanks.

BH

The website is www.toyotalink.com.au, you will need an email address and password. No manual is provided for the website, but it is pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Its a fun and slightly creepy experience playing around with toyota link. I was setting it up on an Aurion Presara for the first time at the dealership i work for, talking to the person (in the car mind you) in melbourne or adelaide (not sure where the call center is) and going through the setup procedure when she tells me that to confirm the connection with the vehicle, she will lock and unlock all the doors. Needless to say it was kinds creepy watching all the doors lock and unlock by themselves. Another car i worked on, I forgot to put into service mode before I removed the battery and once I plugged the battery the phone in the car started ringing and a voice asked me if everything was ok. Must have thought the car was being stolen or had a crash or something

I am wondering, how accurate is the toyotalink?

I have my tracking system. Hidden somewhere in the car, so when i dial the number, it will provide me with a coordinate.

I have an average to call the system 2 times. One of them is much more accurate(within 5-10m) than the other. The other may differ up to 70m. There was even once, within 2m of accuracy.

The website is www.toyotalink.com.au, you will need an email address and password. No manual is provided for the website, but it is pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Thanks,

I've got no idea how this works:

aurion.png

At the beginning I thought each time filling up the fuel tank, but actually not.

BH

I've got no idea how this works:

aurion.png

At the beginning I thought each time filling up the fuel tank, but actually not.

BH

The "Odometer Trigger" occurs every 500 kms automatically and logs the date, odometer reading and gps location. It even calculates when the next expected service is based on your driving patterns. Just from your screen shot I can see you have done over 4500kms since 26 Jan and averaged 500kms approximately every 3 weeks. Have to wonder whether Toyota uses this information for anything :ninja: .

If you want the current gps location select "Where is my car?" on the left hand menu, then click FIND CAR.

Alternatively, you can select "System Test" on the left hand menu, then click TEST SYSTEM. This is pretty much the same thing as FIND CAR only includes status of battery and ignition.

Alternatively, you can select "System Test" on the left hand menu, then click TEST SYSTEM. This is pretty much the same thing as FIND CAR only includes status of battery and ignition.

Many thanks again, here it is:

aurion.png

BH