Potential owner - a towing & economy question

holmesie

Hi guys/gals - I'm shopping for a new family ride and the KXS AWD Kluger is high on the wish list (alongside Territory and diesel Pajero)

I will be regularly towing 2tonnes, has anyone here towed at the maximum rated capacity, and if so were there any issues? What is the towing economy like? I've searched the threads and found some good economy discussion, but not much on towing.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

I've posted my signature pic larger so you can see what I tow.

The first picture is at Metung Vic, the boat was towed over the Vic Alpines via Mt Hotham and its just a breeze with the AWD traction and Kluger's size.

The second is from Dartmouth Vic Apline region last Tuesday.

I've towed owned a 5.5mtr glass boat, along with the current boat with new Falcons and Commodores. I've only recently sold the 16ft Jayco pop top, which was towed with a new Commodore prior to the Kluger.

With my Commodore you always knew you were towing and vehicle had movement during irregular roads or sweeping bends.

Wheel spin until T/control left you with no power at boat ramps and on the road whilst entering from gravel rds to sealed rds. The Commodore did the job though on sealed surfaces.

One day (Aug 07) I was on a ramp and the concrete was just out of the water which left me being cautious with the commodore. Then a ford Territory just backed down with 5mtr+ Quintrex and flicked his trailer of the ramp side and launched in the thick sand and then parked the Territory and trailer on the sand at the waters edge.

That was it, I went home and said to my misses I needed a 4X4 or a largish AWD. The rest is history.

The Kluger is stable towing, heaps and heaps of grunt, the manual transmission is there If you require. But I really don't need to use it, although I did use engine braking a little down hill after Mt Hotham heading to Harrietville. Maybe just for the fun of it. The brakes are just super ample for stopping and for normal local trips I don't engage the trailer brakes.

Economy is always gona be worse towing, as it was with the commodore. It really depends on the terain, ie flat highway or a few hills etc. But in the mid 16ltrs is about normal. Maybe a little higher in the alpine Mt Hotham/Dartmouth region. But I don't pay for petrol anywhere or anytime, it's in my Salary package :yahoo:

IN SHORT IT"S JUST FANTASTIC and I feel a lot safer on the road knowing all the safety gear built into the Kluger + big wide tyres + AWD + the size of the vehicles foot print. Never go back to 2WD as tow car again.

I can now launch anywhere on The Hume Weir at any water level as I can launch of the sand or compacted mud sides and leave my rig parked of the waters edges. If it rains or drizzles while I'm out on the water. I've a far better chance of recovering the boat and hauling myself up the weir sides than I ever had with the Commodore.

It will do your boat just fine with its 2000 capacity. You will love it for towing your nice Quintrex rig you've spoken about. I really don't think your boat fuelled up and full of camping gear and several slabs on board would come anywhere near the towing capacity. I would think maybe you would have 400 up your sleeve

PS; The AWD doesn't have the steering torque that ones experiences on the 2Wd Kluger. Incase the dealer gives a test in a 2WD vesrion.

lakes2.JPG

100_2745.JPG

Edited by fish475

Thanks Garry - exactly the reply I was after thanks mate. Nice Kluger and boat you have there too.

As well as my boat, kid duties require me to drag around a double horsefloat occassionally, but that isn't over long distances like I do with the boat ;)

Cheers

Andrew

therig.jpg

Edited by holmesie

Thanks Garry - exactly the reply I was after thanks mate. Nice Kluger and boat you have there too.

As well as my boat, kid duties require me to drag around a double horse float occasionally, but that isn't over long distances like I do with the boat ;)

Cheers

Andrew

therig.jpg

Andrew I have only towed the box trailer into Turon gates near Capertee, 4WD territory only, no problem with it at all and the down hill decent was great as none of the other cars I went with had it for the step wet decent to the river. ;)

Nice Colour too Mr Fish475 :rolleyes:

Edited by PC XT

Hoping downhilll decent will help the run down the Clyde mountain with the boat on - does it work at all speeds, or slow speed only?

Hoping downhilll decent will help the run down the Clyde mountain with the boat on - does it work at all speeds, or slow speed only?

The only reasonable thing you can do there is lock it into 2nd and or FIRST gear on the really tight steep decents and hairpin curves of the Clyde!

I don't see any issues as the engine is 10.8:1 compression and the engine braking is excellent once in suitable gear from my drive in mountains the other day :yahoo:

Thanks riceracing,

I will find out soon enough I guess. Last time was with a mate's diesel auto Prado and I nearly cooked the brakes :whistling: I have learnt how to drive an auto properly since then :rolleyes:

Downhill decent control only works in R or S1(first gear manual mode). Therefore you cant really go too fast.

I have been told if the decent is too long you may run out of brake pressure for the system to work, just like abs will do so(unlikely in a normal situation as once the abs goes off you normally stop before it runs out of puff). Apparently this can happen on ice...

This will be my first vehicle with an auto gearbox, I expect I will have to change some of my driving habits, particularly when towing :lol:

My Father had the older Klueger ... and had to trade up to a Prado for insurance purposes. (what is it with Toyto and Ghey names for cars...??) He's Towing a 2.5 T Caravan with 2 axles. Ultimately he would have loved to keep the Klueger as its fitted out much nicer than his Prado... but obviously theres a little incentive of being able to have his Van and Car replaced if they do decide to drive into a ditch in the middle of the simpson at some stage!

Strangely the Nissan Xtrail (which weighs 150 kgs lighter or so than the Klueger) has a tow rating nearly 500Kgs more than the Klueger < If my memory serves me correctly

• 2 weeks later...
Hoping downhill decent will help the run down the Clyde mountain with the boat on - does it work at all speeds, or slow speed only?

The only reasonable thing you can do there is lock it into 2nd and or FIRST gear on the really tight steep descents and hairpin curves of the Clyde!

I don't see any issues as the engine is 10.8:1 compression and the engine braking is excellent once in suitable gear from my drive in mountains the other day :yahoo:

I concur with these statements from RR find a hill and play if you haven't already.

• 2 weeks later...

Towed our double horsefloat today, with one horse on-board... very impressed with the way the Kluger handled it B)

Like other have notice the Toyota tow hitch is a little too high (and isn't supposed to be turned upside-down), and I'll have to investigate an alternative hitch :rolleyes:

Edited by holmesie

Noticed that... but I'll compensate it with the different jockey wheel (bigger tyre on it). So it's good IMHO.

Towed our double horsefloat today, with one horse on-board... very impressed with the way the Kluger handled it B)

Like other have notice the Toyota tow hitch is a little too high (and isn't supposed to be turned upside-down), and I'll have to investigate and alternative hitch :rolleyes:

Edited by Kruzenvax

I think it's too high when the float or boat (I'm guessing for when summer comes back) is hitched on, as they sit up at the front, rather than level.

I won't be trying the float fully loaded until I have an electric brake controller fitted, maybe the extra weight will bring the front down a bit...

Cheers

Edited by holmesie

Like other have notice the Toyota tow hitch is a little too high (and isn't supposed to be turned upside-down), and I'll have to investigate an alternative hitch :rolleyes:

My towball height also seems to be too high for our box trailer. Is there a reason why the hitch can't be used upside-down? Talking to mates, they all seem to think that using the hitch either way is perfectly normal.

I'm not sure my tow bar is genuine toyota. The socket mount looks a bit homemade.

towbar.jpg

towbar2.jpg

Hmmm :g: Mine is different and the cover plastic is not body colour.... The electric socket mount does not look like that either. Otherwise, the tongue and the socket itself look the same

I emailed last week the manufacturers, they said if there is more than 130kgs download on this, it should not be used upsidedown.

They recommended the adjustable hitch, which can come in a package including stabilizer bars, but that is $700, i think i might look at just the hitch

My towball height also seems to be too high for our box trailer. Is there a reason why the hitch can't be used upside-down? Talking to mates, they all seem to think that using the hitch either way is perfectly normal.

I'm not sure my tow bar is genuine toyota. The socket mount looks a bit homemade.

towbar.jpg

towbar2.jpg

PAULG I hope I dont offend you but the plug installation is dreadfull, the worst I have seen, you should insist that the Auto Elec tidy it up for you, the mounting plate is so agricultural and not fit for a billy cart.

I tried to attach a photo of mine but it would not let me even though I had compressed it to just a few KB's (I tried everything???) anyway I am sure there are plenty of examples around for you to look at, I prefer the 7 or 9 Pin flat connector as it is much neater.

In relation to towball height, there are setups that are adjustable, I have a Hayman Reece one, I am also sure you have seen them as well.

Cheers

DHOUS

If you get the 7pin flat one, you can get an adaptor which converts from 7pin flat to the round, and that can be large or small round, depending.

Im actually looking once again for a long neck padlock to use instead of the quick release PIN. This gives me the confidence no thief will just come and take the whole part.

Thanks for your comments. I will probably change it myself. First I will check to see if it's a genuine loom, or some dodgy spliced in connections hidden under the back.