Paseo idle problem

gucio

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum, so hi.

Anyways I have this problem with my Paseo (92) where it cannot keep a constant idle. I have done some checks and it seems like the MAF (little black senor stuck on the firewall that is connected to the inlet plenum with a vacum line) sensor is stuffed. Now i have tried the local Toyota dealer but he is a tool and doesnt want to help out with the part as the car is an import (i know all of them are) and he cant find it on his system.

So what i am asking first is, has anyone had a simliar problem and second can anyone help me out with this part. (This is what is written on the part: Sensor Assy Vaccum -89420-16020, -100798-2282, 5V, Denso).

Cheers

Fil

Edited by gucio

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum, so hi.

Anyways I have this problem with my Paseo (92) where it cannot keep a constant idle. I have done some checks and it seems like the MAF (little black senor stuck on the firewall that is connected to the inlet plenum with a vacum line) sensor is stuffed. Now i have tried the local Toyota dealer but he is a tool and doesnt want to help out with the part as the car is an import (i know all of them are) and he cant find it on his system.

So what i am asking first is, has anyone had a simliar problem and second can anyone help me out with this part. (This is what is written on the part: Sensor Assy Vaccum -89420-16020, -100798-2282, 5V, Denso).

Cheers

Fil

Mate, whereabouts are you? I can undoubtedly track you down one through my work. I'm in Slacks Creek, QLD.

Edited by the_random_hero

Thanks the_random_hero, if you could track one down that would be awesome

I am in Perth. I am not sure how this would works, is it possible for you to send it here or do i pick it up for a toyota dealer here?

Oh and what would the cost be? ;)

Cheers

Fil

Thanks the_random_hero, if you could track one down that would be awesome

I am in Perth. I am not sure how this would works, is it possible for you to send it here or do i pick it up for a toyota dealer here?

Oh and what would the cost be? ;)

Cheers

Fil

I'll see if I can get the Toyota part number for you, so you can just ring them up and ask for one.

Anyways I have this problem with my Paseo (92) where it cannot keep a constant idle. I have done some checks and it seems like the MAF (little black senor stuck on the firewall that is connected to the inlet plenum with a vacum line) sensor is stuffed.

Just so you don't confuse parts interpreters, it's a MAP sensor, not a MAF. Very different things (MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure, MAF = Mass Air Flow)

• 2 weeks later...

ok cool... just with my experiences with 4AGE's... they experience a Hunting Idle problem when there is an Airlock in the Wax Temp Sensor in the Auxillary Air Valve.....

This is on the Throttle Body right at the butterfly valve... with an absense of water there.. the aux air closes.. and idles up.. this causes the wax to heat and it opens. and hence it opens and closes and on and on. I suggest try and bleed the air from the top of the throttle body at the wax temp sensor.

On another note, i was looking through the car last night and i noticed that when i turned on the headlights the idle started hunting more (i hope this makes sense).

Is there something that would cause this to happen (ie the alternator or battery)?

Cheers Fil

On another note, i was looking through the car last night and i noticed that when i turned on the headlights the idle started hunting more (i hope this makes sense).

Is there something that would cause this to happen (ie the alternator or battery)?

Cheers Fil

yeah its part of the idle up mechanism... when you put extra load on the engine... such as turning on the headlights (the alternator needs to work harder... ) the idle up solenoid kiks in.. that could e just enough to flip the Auxillery Air sesnor on the throttle body and open up causeing the idle to hunt.

NOTE... when you're bleeding the cooling system.. make sure your heater is allthea way to HOT to ensure you fill the heatercore with water too!

So the alternator could also be an issue?

No Not at all... i mean i cant be certain without actually seeing it... but everyones car "idles up" when the alternator takes on more load... its normal... all i am saying is that as your car idles up... the Auxillery air sensor takes on more load, and opens.. and that could be enough to trigger the hunting idle problem thats caused by the airlock in the wax pellet sensor in the throttle body

The guy at work that knows Toyota's inside and out has finally been in when I've had a chance to speak to him, but some bad news. Our computers got reformatted a few weeks ago and we've lost our Toyota catalogue.

Are you definitely sure it's the MAP sensor? Try removing it from the intake and just place it in the engine bay and see if your engine still has the same problem.

Nah dude I am not sure if it is the MAP sensor but when ever I unplug it the car seems to idle better. I have also noticed that the idles gets worse when i turn the headlights on.

So maybe the guy at work will have a better idea to what the problem could be.

Cheers

Fil

Edited by gucio

• 2 weeks later...
Nah dude I am not sure if it is the MAP sensor but when ever I unplug it the car seems to idle better. I have also noticed that the idles gets worse when i turn the headlights on.

Cheers

Fil

Hey gucio,

did you get to the bottom of your idling issues.

I recently got a 91 Paseo as a 2nd car and evertime i get off the highway it seems do have the same issue as yours . The idle Hunts and it can be bit embarassing especially if the driver next to you is looking your way..

Cheers

Cheers

Fil

Hey gucio,

I recently got a 91 Paseo as a 2nd car and evertime i get off the highway it seems do have the same issue as yours . The idle Hunts and it can be bit embarassing especially if the driver next to you is looking your way..

Cheers

Have you both checked for vacuum leaks? I've done some asking around and this has been the most common thought to your problems.

Cheers

Fil

Hey gucio,

Cheers

Have you both checked for vacuum leaks? I've done some asking around and this has been the most common thought to your problems.

Hey ,

will check the hoses and update if/when i find any issues with it.

Thanks for the advise the_random_hero ..