Blackened headlights

apg39

the trd or zr6 came out with darkend head lights so did the some latest fords.

There are two types of headlights on the Aurion. The first is the bright chrome surrounds used on the AT-X, Touring, Prodigy, & Presara. The second is the darker (tinted) chrome surrounding used on the Sportivo (SX6 and ZR6), and both grades of the TRD.

Same goes for the tail lights, except replace bright and dark (tinted) chrome with bright red and dark red.

Either way, the level of tinting in the chrome on the Sportivo headlights is very small and definitely enough for some to really want to go ahead and paint it a solid colour.

• 5 months later...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dragging up an old thread

Long story short I've got a spare ZR6 headlight - broken mountings so no good to be reused but plenty fine to play/experiment with.

First up getting the parts to separate - easy as removing all the screws, preheating oven to 250 degrees cel, turning it off and sitting the headlight in there for 5 minutes. The front cover removed from the sealant really easy without getting too hot, but it does make a bit of a mess (my poor hatch gloves)

Something interesting I found with the chrome surrounds (they're slightly tinted on the ZR6) is that the chrome paint is already cracking and flaking on the inside corners, especially around the projector lense. Just touching it with a screwdriver resulting in bits falling away to bare plastic underneath. I can't be sure it wasn't from the brief stint in the oven, but I doubt it.

Sorry no pics yet, no really anything to show but I intend on getting some paint in a few days and given it a coat of shiny black with a high gloss, then doing a dummy reassembly to get an idea of how it looks. Pics promised.

Gday Steven thnx for the head up on the process

I have done a fair bit of reading on this as I really want to do mine glad to hear they come apart easily I have been trying to track down a second hand pair of lights to do this on in case I stuff it up but cant find any not at a reasonable price anyway

as for paint have you thought of trying one of the spray tints that you get fro super cheap etc

that's what I was thinking of trying

because when you use the spray tint it gives you like a black chrome effect which I think would look good

and way have fun with it and look forward to seeing the result and the pics also hearing if it will go back together easy enough

cheers