Blackened headlights

apg39

I know that the ATX , Prodigy & Presara come with the usual clear silver in the headlights, and Sportivo models have some sort of tint to them??

But has anyone tried cracking open the headlights & painting the headlight surrounds in black?

Ill be trying this weekend probably...pics & DIY if it can be done.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take that as a No, no ones done it...

Would anyone else do it if it was easy enough? or am I wasting my time with a DIY?

I don't think any Aurion owners out there have attempted that modification. You also have the possibility that you don't seal it 100% and end up with condensation in it.

A few guys over at Toyota Nation have done it to their Camry's. There are a few threads on it over there. One such write-up is at: "DIY: taking apart headlights". Cracking open the Aurion headlight assembly would be pretty much the same. The procedure is pretty much self explanatory once you crack the headlight assembly open.

Edited by DJKOR

Agree I wouldnt risk it, see if you can source JDM style headlights for the Aurion from overseas Thailand, Malay/Indo, and replace the whole unit...

1) What does the JDM light look like?

2) Where would I source it? Import monster cant help me find anything, Ive got no idea what to look for elsewhere.

Agree I wouldnt risk it, see if you can source JDM style headlights for the Aurion from overseas Thailand, Malay/Indo, and replace the whole unit...

1) What does the JDM light look like?

2) Where would I source it? Import monster cant help me find anything, Ive got no idea what to look for elsewhere.

JDM style which is the inside plastic mould (light housing not the plastic glass front) is black, many lancers civic have this look as a mod.

Umm not sure where to start perhaps ask the guy who bought the aftermarket grill?... but make sure you search for 'Camry' as its called a Camry (but Aurion looks) in SEast Asia.

they have the aurion in japan?

so we get the aus made one? is the aus version "detuned" like it is in other cars? (subaru)

Nope,

But they have one called the Allion haha, looks nothing really like the Aurion/Camry, but interior I can see some similarities but overall a different car.

The japanese give the inferior versions to the rest of world haha.

Edited by AcoustiK

JDM style which is the inside plastic mould (light housing not the plastic glass front) is black, many lancers civic have this look as a mod.

Ah ok, think you misunderstood me, thats what im planning to do myself, paint the inside chrome bit in black not the clear casing

Anyways, also found these...but can't speak Thai to know what brand they are. I'd have them if it wasn't for the angel eyes.

6-1.jpg

Ah ok, think you misunderstood me, thats what im planning to do myself, paint the inside chrome bit in black not the clear casing

Anyways, also found these...but can't speak Thai to know what brand they are. I'd have them if it wasn't for the angel eyes.

6-1.jpg

HAWT!!!

when i get my car i'll do a group buy - i may know some people who are thai.

6-1.jpg

haha nah thats what I meant, instead of you butchering your genuine toyota ones, buy some cheaper JDM style like those on the pic and just replace the whole unit.

Also have you got a link to more pics of this car or headlights?

Edited by AcoustiK

Wow. I was seriously doubting how well the JDM style headlights would look on the Aurion. That looks pretty hot. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind buying them. I'd rather buy a set that I can swap with so that: a) I don't mess with the originals, and b ) I have a replacement set just in case.

Edited by DJKOR

i wouldnt mind tryin to colour code mine ive got the dark blue colour whatever they call that one but reckon that would turnout ok but fail that the black surround looks sweet and so does that camry/aurion

i been trying to find a website translator for thai to english like babelfish but is epic fail.

can anyone find anything. i keen on surfing that forum

www.thai2english.com is a dictionary I used. Wont translate the whole website though, just text you put into it

The only thing I notice from those photos is that the parkers are now the angel eyes, you can see that they have left the original parker reflector/section still intact even if its not in use at all, .... unless its interchangable...

Not sure I know what you mean? I can still see the parkers there?

If I DIY'd it I would leave a chrome ring around each light anyways, having the angel eyes would mean more wiring.

Have just posted (in English) on the Thai Camry forum where I got those pics so fingers crossed Ill have some answers soon.

Not sure I know what you mean? I can still see the parkers there?

If I DIY'd it I would leave a chrome ring around each light anyways, having the angel eyes would mean more wiring.

Have just posted (in English) on the Thai Camry forum where I got those pics so fingers crossed Ill have some answers soon.

I think what he meant was that he can see the original parker light housing there but they are not using that, and using the halos instead. The question is: would you still be able to use the original parkers? You never know; just because it is there, doesn't mean it's functional.

AH ok.

I heard back from the Thai Camry's...they took their headlights to a body shop who took them apart & painted the insides black (like what I want to do). My guess is they also had the angel eyes installed at the same time...If thats the case Id leave original parkers & not even bother putting angel eyes in.

thats how my mate did his car an he said it was relatively cheap too...where do they get the angel eyes from do u think? i found a few site that have them but they dont send to australia which is a bummer!