Blackened headlights

apg39

thats how my mate did his car an he said it was relatively cheap too...where do they get the angel eyes from do u think? i found a few site that have them but they dont send to australia which is a bummer!

I've seen heaps of DIY angel eyes, using a clear curtain rod turny thing, some LEDS & wiring...Ill see if I can dig it up.

Should be able to find them on ebay??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you build your angel eyes using LED's like in the above link, you can greatly reduce the chance of them breaking. The CCFL ones have a tendency to break easily especially with vibration. LED's on the otherhand are pretty hardy.

I would emagine they would...they still look good tho!!

Its tempting to get the insides of the lights painted black but then there could be a chance of gettin condesation after they have taken the glass off.

if anyone gets it done please post us some piccies :D

I would emagine they would...they still look good tho!!

Its tempting to get the insides of the lights painted black but then there could be a chance of gettin condesation after they have taken the glass off.

if anyone gets it done please post us some piccies :D

Missus is going away next weekend so Im all over it...she cant complain if she's not there....

• 9 months later...

Bringing an old thread...Just dun wanna make too much threads related the same topic.

Has any1 tried the sticker thing to darkened the headlights and rear-brake lights?

I figured out that's way much easier and low cost compared to 'heating' method.

Is there any cons to it? Looks rice?

I was considering doing that on my tail lights just to see how it looks, but never got around to it. The tail lights are pretty damn bright as they are, so I don't imagine any visibility issues there. The only problem I can think of is getting a film to wrap around them neatly with no creases or irregularities. I would hate to think what it would be like doing that to the headlights.

Doing that to headlights would result pretty much the same like apg39's wouldn't it? The only reason I never get around the headlights is because a mate told me headlights aren't allowed to be blackened - legal issues.. Only tail lights. But again, after lookin at apg39's, that seems legal since he hasn't get into any trouble.

I'm assumin tint-windows alike film should do the trick..

Edited by VF-X

Doing that to headlights would result pretty much the same like apg39's wouldn't it? The only reason I never get around the headlights is because a mate told me headlights aren't allowed to be blackened - legal issues.. Only tail lights. But again, after lookin at apg39's, that seems legal since he hasn't get into any trouble.

I'm assumin tint-windows alike film should do the trick..

With Andrew (apg39), he took his headlights apart and painted the chrome parts inside. This does not affect the light output. Tinting the perspex on the front of the headlight will however block some of the light output.

i think over the long term with car cleaning products and weathering, the tint film you put onto your taillights/headlights will start to bubble/peel. even if you are able to buy "weather-proof" film, it would still do that to some extent maybe?

The legal i heard for HID is 6k ... It still wouldn't matter if any1 were to put a film on the 8k HID headlights rite? It's only then become legal... :lol: Or is the logic wrong..? <_<

Even thou it has a chance to peel or bubble, i reckon it's still worth it. Cost and time to repair combined with the risk of making the blackened headlights with paint through inside is not nothing..

The legal i heard for HID is 6k ... It still wouldn't matter if any1 were to put a film on the 8k HID headlights rite? It's only then become legal... :lol: Or is the logic wrong..? <_<

No HID retrofit is legal. So no matter what colour temperature you get, it will still be illegal. Stock HID's in cars that come with them OEM are around the 4300 - 5000k range. Those are legal because they have auto-levelling lights projectors that are made specifically for HID and come with headlight washers.

Getting 6000k HID's though tend to look more towards an OEM setup when put in projectors so you are more likely to get away with it. As foor tinting headlights with 8000k HID's, you are going to make things pretty dim because 8000k is actually less bright than 6000k. HID's are bright to start with though, but even still, the tint film is going to make a pretty big difference to the light output.

• 1 month later...

Bringing back an old thread, now that i've given up on the TRD (for now), Did anyone end up doing the DIY guide for the headlights or is it better to buy from Thailand? Could you get them in Malaysia????

Bringing back an old thread, now that i've given up on the TRD (for now), Did anyone end up doing the DIY guide for the headlights or is it better to buy from Thailand? Could you get them in Malaysia????

The only other person I head of doing the black headlight mod on the Aurion was 'sportivo chick'. I'm not sure if she took photos of the procedure though, and I haven't heard from her in a while.

The procedure though is pretty generic. Any DIY on black headlight surrounds pretty much outlines the basic steps. I have considered it a few times, but decided that I like the grey chrome look inside my lights as it provides a backing for my eyelids to go against.

Didnt apg39 finish this with his car around last year?

I think he has a DIY somewhere in the forum, requiring the oven and stuff

Didnt apg39 finish this with his car around last year?

I think he has a DIY somewhere in the forum, requiring the oven and stuff

Yeah, he did a DIY, minus the photos though:

DIY: Blackened headlight surrounds

There are many other DIY threads with photos that should be easier to follow. Such thread as:

DIY: taking apart headlights

ZR,

allready inquired a while back big bucks all they do in malay and thai is what apg did pull apart and painted. to buy from Australia your looking at $350 each

AUR3)N

This mod is very cool thou... What I'm not certain is the legality of this in each state.

For NSW, it's almost certain it's illegal. Got few cases with friends and people in the forum who were caught and car got defect. Most of cases are of tail lights thou, not sure with headlights.

This mod is very cool thou... What I'm not certain is the legality of this in each state.

For NSW, it's almost certain it's illegal. Got few cases with friends and people in the forum who were caught and car got defect. Most of cases are of tail lights thou, not sure with headlights.

You're only modifying the non-used part of the headlight though. I can't see how that can give reason for defect. The reflective surfaces of the high beam reflector and the low beam projector remain untouched. There are cars out there (including my sister's Mazda 3), that have black headlight surrounds from factory.

Are you sure they didn't actually tint the casing of the headlight? That would be a cause for a defect on the other hand.

the trd or zr6 came out with darkend head lights so did the some latest fords.

your only painting the chrome bit which I will be doing soon the light output will be the same so there is no way it illegal.

AUR30N