CAI - QUESTION (not a stupid one)

Does any one have any opinions regarding the comment below..? I have been looking around and noone seems to know :S

Hey guys. I own a 2003 sportivo with a TRD cold air intake on it and I was just recently having some idling problems. so i booked it into toyota in Melville. They ran a diagnostic check on the car and said everything is fine except for the vac hose. instead of it being blocked off like some of the other guys have shown in there posts i was told it had to run into the vsv unit and then back out onto the cai plug which is located in the middle of the piping. i did it and then ran the car......

NO STUPID IDLING!!! :yahoo::yahoo: so if you have got this problem have a go at going that and see if it works. I dont know if it has been covered but i search and couldnt find anything on the forum. so if it works thank me by sending lots and lots of money my way.

Dans

I guess its trail and error. If u got no funny idling, continue as the DIY says.

If u got funny idling, do like danny says.

Don't think you got anything to lose in my opinion ....

But then again, I got no CAI so I got no idling :P

does this mean that the blocked off pipe (after the blue inline filter thing) is supposed to stay connected to the Brown VSV (which is all pulled out etc) and then fromthe brown VSV into the knob that is blocked off on the CAI, so basically this would mean that no VSV's are ever removed or not used in the fitting of the CAI and that all things do plug into something.

I have mine done as per the DIY meaning the knob on CAI blocked off and everything after the blue inline filter thing (brown VSV etc) is pulled out and not used and the line after the blue inline fileter thing is capped off, so basically the only piece of equipment plugged into the CAI itself is the MAF sensor ?

cheers

PS i wouldnt say mine has idling problems at all ie, its never stalled on me regardless of weather conditions etc, sometimes it does seem to idle lowish when A/C kicks in etc but nothing too drastic....i guess i could always plug brown vsv back in and connect all up and see what happend...be a 2 min job .

opinions please.....expert voices needed here

does this mean that the blocked off pipe (after the blue inline filter thing) is supposed to stay connected to the Brown VSV (which is all pulled out etc) and then fromthe brown VSV into the knob that is blocked off on the CAI, so basically this would mean that no VSV's are ever removed or not used in the fitting of the CAI and that all things do plug into something.

I have mine done as per the DIY meaning the knob on CAI blocked off and everything after the blue inline filter thing (brown VSV etc) is pulled out and not used and the line after the blue inline fileter thing is capped off, so basically the only piece of equipment plugged into the CAI itself is the MAF sensor ?

cheers

PS i wouldnt say mine has idling problems at all ie, its never stalled on me regardless of weather conditions etc, sometimes it does seem to idle lowish when A/C kicks in etc but nothing too drastic....i guess i could always plug brown vsv back in and connect all up and see what happend...be a 2 min job .

opinions please.....expert voices needed here

Do it... report back... MARSCH!

You should have one VSV hooked up!! the one that is on the lid of the airbox from memory is to be hooked up and goes on the mount that swings off the strut tower for the TRD CAI and CES CAI has a bracket that comes with CAI for it to mount on to as well.

cool so mines all sweet......myabe one day i will test the theory of ooking back up as seems to have worked for topic starter .....cbf for now as cars running fine and seems most have it done like the DIY threadso yeah ....

Well, I don't know what people mean by idling problem but I'm assuming that when I reset my cpu it will fix the problem I'm having now.. mmm I just thought I'd put the question in the air to see whether people thing its neccessary.. :unsure:

hopefully not a stupid question here guys. Regarding CAIs. if I was to go to the effort, not expecting big power gains of course, though if I should replace the standard feed behind the headlight with something into the lower section of front bumper can/would I expect to get the "induction" sound from a flexible hose into here? Or would a solid pipework result in better "sound" (resonance) , ie your aluminium/steel pipe work?!?

I was contemplating making a fitment in fibreglass into the lower bumper of a solid thicker construction expecting more results (sound) compared to a flexible pipe. ideas? comments? surely solid contruction will sound better than a flexible pipe?