Headlight Choices

dave262

Hi all,

I have been thinking for a little while, that it might be nice to get a little better light output from the standard Aurion (non-HID) headlamps. Currently it has the standard stock bulbs in it, which I have not even pulled out to check the connector just yet.

I would like to upgrade the bulbs to something a bit brighter, and maybe slightly whiter (I do not want HID though).

So far, the ones I have been looking at are things like the +50 series from Phillips and Narva, as I do a fair bit of night driving out in country areas also.

Can anyone recommend any particular types or brands, or know of a site that has good comparisons?

Top of my list to chose are...

Osram Nightbreakers.

Philips Xtreme Vision.

Both are as good as each other, you'll need to browse the web to get the best prices though, Im happy with my night breakers, so much so people think im driving on Hibeams lol.

why not HID? coz i m worried that even if you get the philip bulb(yes a little whiter) but in future, u might regret and buy hid again.. total waste of time?

I am actually not such a major fan of HID, especially when it comes to retro-fitting them in a car that didn't come with them. I get blinded while driving at night on numerous occasions thanks to retrofitted HID, so i don't want to be a culprit myself~ :P

AcoustiK, I will take a look at those bulbs and see what I can find. Where do you source those from online? I wasn't even aware that Osram even made car headlights!

I am actually not such a major fan of HID, especially when it comes to retro-fitting them in a car that didn't come with them. I get blinded while driving at night on numerous occasions thanks to retrofitted HID, so i don't want to be a culprit myself~ :P

hahaha i know what you mean, i get blinded by HIDs quite often. but unlike you i dont mind being the culprit :P

i hate it when i get blinded by them but i don't mind blinding others :P

The serious HID retrofit problems come from HID's mounted in reflector style housings. Now that is some bad glare. When you mount the HID's into a projector housing though, a lot of the glare is reduced. Not saying it's gone completely or anything; it's just not as much of a problem.

The serious HID retrofit problems come from HID's mounted in reflector style housings. Now that is some bad glare. When you mount the HID's into a projector housing though, a lot of the glare is reduced. Not saying it's gone completely or anything; it's just not as much of a problem.

if its mounted in projector does it means that the light that the HID produce will be further since its more concentrated? or is the length that the beam reaches to is still the same just that it doesn't shine all over the place?

if its mounted in projector does it means that the light that the HID produce will be further since its more concentrated? or is the length that the beam reaches to is still the same just that it doesn't shine all over the place?

The advantage of the projector is that the light can be directed fairly well. Just with any other headlight however, the distance that the light can project is covered by a set of standards. In general though, having projectors is quite effective against glare. The cutoff of projectors can be fairly annoying though. One example is when driving around mountain areas the area of illumination is fairly restrictive and limits visibility. As well, if someone with projectors is following you, due to the sharp cutoff, it can look like they are flashing their headlights as you/they go over bumps in the road. With the creation of self-leveling projectors and adaptive lighting, these disadvantages are not that much of an issue, but are still there nevertheless.

Id go with the Osram Nightbreakers, can be bought on Aus ebay from a seller in the UK

only took 4 days to arrive, nice upgrade over the standard bulbs

much cheaper then the philips too

Yep, Im using them on the TRD

H11 Osram Night Breakers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/H11-Osram-Night-Bre...idZp1638Q2em122

Bought them from that seller, Very Quick delivery

So far ive only changed the Low beam lights, I dont really use the fog lights, but i might look into changing them also,

Would like to do the parkers next

My other cars an 06 Accord Euro Luxury like you had :)

Its hard to not want better headlights after driving the Honda :lol:

Didnt want to go with aftermarket HID's though, legality reasons

Yep, Im using them on the TRD

H11 Osram Night Breakers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/H11-Osram-Night-Bre...idZp1638Q2em122

Bought them from that seller, Very Quick delivery

So far ive only changed the Low beam lights, I dont really use the fog lights, but i might look into changing them also,

Would like to do the parkers next

My other cars an 06 Accord Euro Luxury like you had :)

Its hard to not want better headlights after driving the Honda :lol:

Didnt want to go with aftermarket HID's though, legality reasons

thanks for the link...

my last three cars have all been black cars... so i always drive with my fog lights on... for some reason (its probably all in my head though) i feel like it increases my visibility to other drivers on the road... lol

man, coming from the euro to the trd, the head lights are a big let down... :(

i'm going to look at replacing the headlights/fog lights/parkers soon as well... ;)

Ok mate... thanks for the link

they are by far the cheapest of the lot I searched in ebay...

they have alot of H11 which the Aurion uses for low and foglights, so I will be ordering from them tomorrow 2 sets one for my Yaris fogs and one for Aurion...

as a off the topic question, should I be ordering a H11 HID or a D2S HID set...? Color wise I will be changing it to, 6000k...!

Cheers ;)

Thanks for all the interesting input all,

I haven't had access to the computer for a while due to numerous other commitments, so am just catching up on the reading now.

Good to hear that at least other people understand how annoying HID can be when retrofitted. I agree it may not be as much of an issue with the Aurion projector lamps, which I find actually light up the road quite well if it weren't for the weak stock bulbs. HID to me I think just has too many downsides in retrofitting - warranty, reliability, warmup time, bulb life etc.

From what I can see, many recommendations for the Osram Nightbreakers. Once the weather improves a little I might look at changing the lamps. Thanks for the recommendations =)

Good to hear that at least other people understand how annoying HID can be when retrofitted. I agree it may not be as much of an issue with the Aurion projector lamps, which I find actually light up the road quite well if it weren't for the weak stock bulbs. HID to me I think just has too many downsides in retrofitting - warranty, reliability, warmup time, bulb life etc.

Bulb life wise HID trumps all halogen bulbs on the market, but reliability wise you really need to have a very dodgy set to cause problems I got a friend who got a chinese made HID kit for his Echo and 2 years the kit still running strong but also heard they absolutely a nightmare if you happen to have a bad set... <_<

If you intend to change the bulbs like me, retrofitting wise you still would have to take off the bumpers to fit in the H11s low beams or fogs because there is no room to fit in the bulbs at all...!!! :angry:

I do alot of night driving as after work its dark where I'm cruising 60kms back home... lol

attract them roos for culling huh

haha nup they stay on the side off the road blinded by the lights lol

just so u know they are 6 lightforce 240 blitz with 120w globes instead of the 100watters and the headlights are 100w highbeam 60w lowbeam running with a pirahna headlight loom upgrade kit

the 4 on the roof are pencil beam setup and the 2 with the blue covers are 50/50 filter, spread beam in the centre and clear round the edges with all lights on high beam, on a straight bit off dual carraige way in wa i pinpointed a tree on the edge of the road that i could see with my own eyes and drove up to it with the gps on and it said 625m just the ticket for those hpping road warriors :D :D :D :D :D