Corolla Sportivo / RunX RSi clutch adjustment

Hi, from sunny South Africa :D

I've seen a few posts about a "clutch adjustment" to resolve the grating gears / notch gear changes.

Please provide specific details regarding this field fix. Is it an official fix by TMCA and does anyone have a copy of the technical bulletin issued to dealers?

Toyota South Africa have no idea of this fix and suspect that it may have come straight from Japan.

Please help B)

Hi rollagrl,

i dont think its a recall but rather an adjustment to the master cylender of the clutch pedel ...... If im wrong someone correct me or provide further details

cheers

Bill

Its not a recall from what i know but dealerships around Australia should know about it. For myself, i have brought the car to 2 different dealerships and they still failed to rectify the issue. All they said was they followed the specs on the technical bulletin and inspected/measured/adjusted my clutch pedal according to the specs. I doubt they fiddled with the master cylinder cos they couldn't fault the specs. I will be bringing the car in again for my 20K service and getting them to fiddle with the master cylinder specifically.

Hi rollagrl,

i dont think its a recall but rather an adjustment to the master cylender of the clutch pedel ...... If im wrong someone correct me or provide further details

cheers

Bill

hey Bill

yer i know but some body said in a previous topic that there was un unofficial recall on the clutch.... my clutch has been adjusted and 90%of the time its great the other 10% its crap lol

Briony

Hey all,

I have this forum to thank for helping me resolve the clutch problems, so here's some links to some previous posts about the clutch problem.

georgec posted this comment about the newsflash, if you tell them the date, they should be able to find it:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=1483

BlackRolla posted up this email from Jenny Stewart stating that it does need to be looked at:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=1480

ZeeRolla posted up a section on the parts to look at if you wish to try to fix it yourself:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=1491

I took my car in just before New Years to Atarmon (Sydney) service, when I got it back, it ran like a dream. The shifting problem was well and truly gone. Although, I did notice that the clutch was higher than before, the friction point is right near the top of clutch. I didn't like the height of the clutch after the fix, but it's better than not being able to shift. :)

The fix is not an official recall, but if you have a problem, take it in to your local dealer, if they can't fix it, take it to another, this is what I had to do.

Hope this helps!

Although, I did notice that the clutch was higher than before, the friction point is right near the top of clutch. I didn't like the height of the clutch after the fix, but it's better than not being able to shift. 

That's exactly how mine is. It's all the way at the top and I find it hard to get use to. i don;t like the feeling but it's better than not being able to shift. :D

Although, I did notice that the clutch was higher than before, the friction point is right near the top of clutch. I didn't like the height of the clutch after the fix, but it's better than not being able to shift. 

That's exactly how mine is. It's all the way at the top and I find it hard to get use to. i don;t like the feeling but it's better than not being able to shift. :D

Guys this is making some sense cos i read somewhere that our symptom is called "clutch drag" and this is caused by too much clutch free play. I think the Toyota techies have adjusted the clutch to give it less free play but hopefully still within specs bcos too little free play can cause clutch slip. You guys say the friction point is now all the way up which makes me think there is very little free play.

hi there ..

I have complained about the clutch from the start. finally though a technical guy from toyota south africa has come to have a look. He confirmed that he would replace my pressure plate as the adjustments on the pedal did not help much , it got better but not fix .. if you need some more info you can e-mail me ...

tparker@oldmutual.com