octane boosters

hey. i want to try some octane boosters (Df 20) in my rolla, i would like to know if it is safe 2use this product?

and has anyone tried it b4? if so how did it respond

they did a test on a programme over here called "fifth gear" - proper lab conditions engine connected directly to dyno and all that other science stuff when doing comparisions. all products tested actually caused a loss in power so they didnt get recommended. seen another article in a jap mag about a fella in Ireland who rebuilds rotary engines. apparenlt they are mapped to run on super which isnt available in Ireland he advises customers to have the car remapped on normal 95 ron but some ignore his advice and use octane boosters - he doesnt complain as it aint to long before they need a rebuild cos of detonation from the wrong fuel. so from my limited research i wouldnt waste me money. just buy decent fuel - used v power in all me cars and swear by the stuff.

according to this website it gives you an increase of power and it has no side effects

www.wwtech.co.za/products.php

the test fifth gear did was independant - the where just answering a common question. that fella in Ireland is implying that octane boosters dont work if your car needs to run on a higher octane fuel. if your car is mapped for normal fuel you wont do any harm but why waste money. use the better stuff from the petrol station and reset the ecu - definately a noticeable difference when changing to v power but can take a tank to clear the deposit left from using normal fuel. i still use a bit of fuel infector clean no and then as an extra clean when i do a service.

nulon pro strength is the best on the aussie market. and also one of the cheaper ones. a test was done on octane boosters in Australia a few years ago with the leading brands at the time and this one was the best hands down.

Certainly makes a difference that i can personally vouch for!!

I some times put Nulon Pro Strength Octane Booster in my car, and I fill up with Shell V-Power.

I don't have any negative affects, and to be honest and doesn't make a HUGE difference.

It's just a bit more responsive when I put my foot down.

Octane booster is meant to 'boost the octane rating'.

The higher the octane rating is of the fuel, the less it will 'boost' it up. That's my understanding anyway.

You still feel tough putting Octane Booster in your car though when you fill up, especially when people glance over wondering what you are doing. :P

3zz_fe Dohc vvti 1.6i:)

if i may ask...why u asking?

whats your view on the octane booster for it?

I ask because that compression ratio wasn't a 1zz or a 2zz.

Surely it would be fine on 95 octane. The 1zz has only 0.5 less compression ratio and runs fine on 91 octane. If the owners manual states you need greater than 95 octane it soudns like you might have some issues. But there is no need to exceed what the engine was tuned for as there are no benefits to be had.

You're engine mappings are tuned for 95RON fuel. Octane boost doesn't give your fuel anything other than a more controlled burn (read; slower burning). This just allows you to advance your timing a little more under engine load (to hopefully give you more power). Unfortunately for you, stock mappings won't fully take advantage of this and therefore you'll see no benefit.

This i controversial but I have seen first hand during a dyno day that octane boost actually causes your engine to put out less top-end power. 90-odd KW at the wheel for a Sportivo running octane boost while the other cars of the same level of tune put out over 110KW each - the owner wasn't happy.

Treat Octane boost as a detonation prevention additive, never rely on it to give you power (actually expect less)

Treat Octane boost as a detonation prevention additive, never rely on it to give you power (actually expect less)

this is why it is recomended to use high octane fuels for track or 1/4's... not because it helps for power but helps reduce the chance of detonation.

this is why it is recomended to use high octane fuels for track or 1/4's... not because it helps for power but helps reduce the chance of detonation.

but if you're running stock mappings and you haven't tinkered with antying other than exhaust and intake, you shouldn't be getting detonation, even at the track or drag strip. If you're getting anything other than mild ping then you've got some more serious issues.

but if you're running stock mappings and you haven't tinkered with antying other than exhaust and intake, you shouldn't be getting detonation, even at the track or drag strip. If you're getting anything other than mild ping then you've got some more serious issues.

yea i forgot to mention that,,, :P cause with your factory tune your car should not detonate on 91RON (for us guys with 1zz, and 98RON for guys with 2zz) so as qkslvr said, unless you have your car remapped or retuned for higher octane then there really is no need.

but having said that, i don't use fuel additives, but i do use 98RON in my 1zz now and then... not for power but because its ment to be a cleaner fuel..

hope this helps, but i'm keen to see the 1/4 results anyways. :D

hey. i want to try some octane boosters (Df 20) in my rolla, i would like to know if it is safe 2use this product?

and has anyone tried it b4? if so how did it respond

they did a test on a programme over here called "fifth gear" - proper lab conditions engine connected directly to dyno and all that other science stuff when doing comparisions. all products tested actually caused a loss in power so they didnt get recommended. seen another article in a jap mag about a fella in Ireland who rebuilds rotary engines. apparenlt they are mapped to run on super which isnt available in Ireland he advises customers to have the car remapped on normal 95 ron but some ignore his advice and use octane boosters - he doesnt complain as it aint to long before they need a rebuild cos of detonation from the wrong fuel. so from my limited research i wouldnt waste me money. just buy decent fuel - used v power in all me cars and swear by the stuff.

i think this is what you are talking about,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_21dikYR8

Guest ddonggae
well here in s.a our fuel is 95 octane unleaded :(

just a note,my compression ratio is 10:5.1

so if it wont harm the car then i might aswell just try it,have nothing 2loose?

im pretty sure a low compression like that u could use 91 octane without any worries.

no need for octane booster unless ur rinning high comp and advanced timeing to make the most of it.

well here in s.a our fuel is 95 octane unleaded :(

just a note,my compression ratio is 10:5.1

so if it wont harm the car then i might aswell just try it,have nothing 2loose?

im pretty sure a low compression like that u could use 91 octane without any worries.

no need for octane booster unless ur rinning high comp and advanced timeing to make the most of it.

as long as its equipped with a knock sensor it will take advantage? that's my understanding anyway...............

still not much point debating as he only gets 95 in his part of the world and octane boosters aint worth the money.

our 2zz's are mapped for 95 - only the compressor demands 97+. but the 2zz runs way better with 99 and help keep deposits to a minimum so good for the engines performance longevity. feel for them where for some reason its deemed they must run with crap fuel - Irelands the same.