Real AWD info Kluger 08/Offroad performance

ozkluger

Trying to find detail on AWD/offroad of the Kluger. (I have one but not really gone offroad yet)

Has anyone found the full info?

I can see from other posts the AWD is 50/50% split. Is this locked at 50/50 i.e. if you lift one wheel off the ground will you loose all traction to the other wheels or will 50% of the torque still go to the front/rear?

The traction control: At slow speed and not when cornering does it drop engine revs or does it use ABS/brake system to actively brake a wheel that is loosing traction? I realise it does/should just brake one wheel when teh stability control activates for excessive cornering etc but wondering if anyone has had wheel of the ground or just less traction to one wheel when going over ruts/holes and had the wheel loose traction and have uncontrolled wheelspin?

Local dealer told me previous models just cut out some injectors to control wheel spin/tracion control - I would think the computer is smarter thatn that to control wheel spin/acceleration?

I reckon Toyota could do with a bit more info on the offroad abilities (within limits) Maybe they don't want to promote it as soft offroader? A couple of "don't do this at home with your Kluger but look what it CAN do" videos would be interesting... i will voluteer as driver but not the car ;-)

Really happy with the car, just interested in how the traction control works (and the snow mode) offroad so know what is best to use.

Have had to make an 'emergency' stop/slow towing boat at 100kmh up north and very impressed with the braking on the Kluger. Stayed straight & boat managed to pull up behind me OK. (just average override cable/dics brakes on 1700kg GCM trailer)

I haven't yet tried mine in rough stuff, but in serious mud on stock tyres it out-drove a Pajero that was tagging along.

I found the following info in this review - hope that helps :)

Impressively, the AWD Kluger (on essentially road tyres, remember) laps the gooey tracks with reassuring self-confidence. Even as it slithers and scrabbles at odd angles in the grotty conditions, it always continues forward - with help, that is, from several friends. Namely a centre diff, electronic traction control (TRC), stability control (VSC), hill-start assist (HAC) and downhill assist control (DAC).

Where the previous model had a viscous coupling between front and rear drivelines, and a limited-slip rear diff, the newcomer has a bevel-gear centre diff, and utilises the computerised traction control system to apportion torque to the wheel(s) with most traction. HAC takes the worry out of hill starts while finessing the transition between brakes off and power on. And, when you have the faith to let DAC do its thing without interference on the brakes and throttle, the Kluger chugs down breath-suckingly steep slopes with finely-controlled restraint.

The suspension again consists of struts front and rear, with detail changes to the design, springs and dampers. Both axles have sufficient vertical travel to clamber across fairly obstructive convolutions, while keeping the tyres planted. Although the new, longer model loses slivers of approach, departure and ramp-over angles (despite slightly increased ground clearance), the Kluger finds no reason to scratch its belly in these exceedingly choppy, sloppy conditions.

The Kluger doesn't pretend to be a dinkum off-road 4WD (that's why Toyota has the Prado and Landcruiser), but the AWD gladly shows it has the right stuff for dexterous all-road and trail driving. And it doesn't shrink from judicious off-road excursions, even when the drivetrain and running gear rate second to the wipers and seat warmers.

Edited by holmesie

This is a better article

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5010760,00.html

Seriously, I think I need to learn how to drive on the rough stuff. As you prob searched, I went up the offroad track near Lorne (Jamieson track I think), and half way up I would not get over a mud pad.

Perheps I chose the wrong path, tyre were 38psi, and traction control was on, but Kluger is not a full proof off roader for sure. Since this fool here cannot get up that hill after several tries :D

Taka, in my road car experience, 38psi is just about right. At the drags, I have set my tyre to 18psi, which made it grip 100x better! Seeing as yours is the Grande with what, 20 or 19”? wheels, drop it down to like 20, but its not safe for the rims. Maybe it needs a 16” wheel with bigger sidewall for more flex…

Taka, in my road car experience, 38psi is just about right. At the drags, I have set my tyre to 18psi, which made it grip 100x better! Seeing as yours is the Grande with what, 20 or 19”? wheels, drop it down to like 20, but its not safe for the rims. Maybe it needs a 16” wheel with bigger sidewall for more flex…

I was told by some people to drop down to 30-32 psi for off road (edit: I normally leave them on 38psi when on gravel or just slightly muddy flat road, like my drive to Ada tree - that was a piece of cake). I was at 38psi because was going on the way to Port Fairy.... saw a track and had a go. No recovery kit at all so I decided not to challenge it.

May invest on 16" with A/T tyre if the brake can fit.

Edited by Taka

thanks for the info and the two reviews.

The comments re tyre pressure - yes makes huge amount of difference with all off road vehicles. One reason for choosing the base model was the slightly higher sidewalls that will allow lower pressures off road and more flex/lower pressure & comfort.

I should have had a better look at the Toyota website - give some info on one of my questions re one wheel loosing traction:

Toyota website:

"System designed to maximum safety when accelerating on slippery road surfaces or when the available grip differs from one side of the vehicle to the other (such as when two wheels are on a gravel or grass verge). Operated by controlling the throttle and/or applying the brakes to any wheel that is slipping."

Anyway still interested to hear if anyone has practical offroad/track/sand experience with the Kluger....

• 2 weeks later...

The comments re tyre pressure - yes makes huge amount of difference with all off road vehicles. One reason for choosing the base model was the slightly higher sidewalls that will allow lower pressures off road and more flex/lower pressure & comfort.

I should have had a better look at the Toyota website - give some info on one of my questions re one wheel loosing traction:

Toyota website:

"System designed to maximum safety when accelerating on slippery road surfaces or when the available grip differs from one side of the vehicle to the other (such as when two wheels are on a gravel or grass verge). Operated by controlling the throttle and/or applying the brakes to any wheel that is slipping."

Anyway still interested to hear if anyone has practical offroad/track/sand experience with the Kluger....

Hi Oz,

Yep done sand/track/offroad all no problem

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14809

Toyota website:

Hi Oz,

Yep done sand/track/offroad/river all no problem, there are limitations as you could imagine from a vehicle of this caliber and breed

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14809