Alternative 19" tyres for KX-S and Grande Kluger

holmesie

I'm not needing tyres yet, but was a little concerned to see how few tyres are available in 245/55R19 with the correct load and speed rating. I know in NSW it's allowable to have a lower speed rated tyre fitted, but it must have the same or higher load rating.

In slightly larger 255/55R19 sizing there are a few more offerings, such as;

Pirelli Scorpion Zero

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Yokohama Advan ST v802

BFGoodrich G-Force T/A kdw

None of these sound cheap <_<

I'm thinking 255/55's might make a slight improvement on the speedo error too. Anyone got any thoughts, or experience with 19" tyres on their Kluger?

Cheers

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cayenne & Touareg run on Michelin Latitude Sport or Latitude Tour HP I think - only the Tour comes in a suitable size 255/55R19, but not the Sport for some reason :(

I found this excellent info site with some great info on wheels and tyres:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

THere is a great little java calculator which tells you how much speedo error is introduced with a different tyre size.

Also another calculator to check how different size tyres can be used for our rim size (7.5 x 19)

we should be able to fit a 275/55 on the 19" rim and that profile will reduce speedo error by 5 km/h

I'm not needing tyres yet, but was a little concerned to see how few tyres are available in 245/55R19 with the correct load and speed rating. I know in NSW it's allowable to have a lower speed rated tyre fitted, but it must have the same or higher load rating.

In slightly larger 255/55R19 sizing there are a few more offerings, such as;

Pirelli Scorpion Zero

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Yokohama Advan ST v802

BFGoodrich G-Force T/A kdw

None of these sound cheap <_<

I'm thinking 255/55's might make a slight improvement on the speedo error too. Anyone got any thoughts, or experience with 19" tyres on their Kluger?

Cheers

Where did you find a tyre with a lower speed rating. The original tyres are only rated to 180km/h; that is why they quote that as the maximum speed.

I haven't found one with a lower speed rating, but if there was one available in the correct size I would not be worried about fitting it - we pay a lot of money for speed rated tyres that never got to see their maximum speed in Australia :(

Cheers

I haven't found one with a lower speed rating, but if there was one available in the correct size I would not be worried about fitting it - we pay a lot of money for speed rated tyres that never got to see their maximum speed in Australia :(

Cheers

Thats why I still drive a Subaru mate they need them!

• 2 weeks later...

For sure mate, I'll keep posting up any info I find - unfortunately I've found on any new car I have bought, the stock tyres don't give good mileage (the sceptic in me says there's some conspiracy there) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Found on the bridgestone website that this tyre can have an alternate, which is the Dueler HP Sport, a sportier tyre apparently, which is 265/50/19. Anyone know what the price of these are? They are speed rated Y which is 300ks! lol, the originals can only go 180!

Anyone in the know?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What speedo errors are there?

Basically if the needle is showing 100, you're really only travelling around 93km/hr (measured by GPS) <_<

There is a thread or two about it somewhere. EDIT: found one here

Cheers

What speedo errors are there?

Basically if the needle is showing 100, you're really only travelling around 93km/hr (measured by GPS) <_<

There is a thread or two about it somewhere. EDIT: found one here

Cheers

I just got the car 10 days ago. No wonder people keep tailgating me and over taking me............ :unsure:

Yeah, it's a trap if you don't know about it - the odometer apparently reads pretty close to spot-on, but not the speedo - go figure!!!

Cheers

GPS Doesn't lie!

Let me know how you go with the Tyre search Andrew.

By the way I cant even log on tho the other forum site any more...new site was the worst move ever!

Yeah, it's a trap if you don't know about it - the odometer apparently reads pretty close to spot-on, but not the speedo - go figure!!!

Cheers

Thanks Andrew.

Just a bit off topic if you don't mind. I would like to get some sort of GPS to verify the actually travelling speed. What sort of GPS do I need for that? Is GPS same thing as those Sat Nav that fixed to the windscreen? Would it tell you the travelling speed?

Thanks.