Redline @ $175

whitestivo

I just went into Autobahn, and this happened.

The guy asked me why i was buying Fuchs 10w-40 when the car manual calls for 5w -30 very clearly.

Can anyone help me with that? They have Penrite 5w-30, i can use that. bear in mind i'm off to a track day next weekend I just need to understand. I know zoom runs 40 (i've researched before asking this question), but that's a turbo car.

Then I asked about the Redline Mt90 for the gearbox. At $175 for 3L, there is no way i can afford that. Does someone have an alternative suggestion that is more reasonable.

Ditto the Motul brake fluid, again incredibly pricey.

I'm after bang for buck, hence the fuchs was my initial intention. And at $42 is pretty reasonable.

whitestivo

10w40 is fine, thats all I use and it will be fine on the track.

As for brake fluid, I assume they tried to sell you the RBF600 (or the new RBF660)? If so just buy the DOT5.1 it's half the price.

For the gearbox you don't need Redline MT90 (at that price anyway), I use Motul MOTYLGEAR.

They'll also try the old "replace all your oils before and after the track day". The brakes will only need doing if you have boiled the fluid, engine and gearbox will be fine being changed before hand so no need to do the after event change.

Which track day is that one?

6th September QLD Raceway.

The 10W means it's thicker on starting yes> So this doesn't concern you as the oil will find it harder to move around the motor?

I hear you go to most of them. You heading out for it?(Anybody else DHC09?) I need someone to run in front of me at 3/4 throttle so i can get a feel for turn in points and brake markers as never done this before and don't want to spear of into the armco!

I'll check Supercheap as well, you get the oils from Superdave>?

whitestivo

I get my oils from Autobahn, usually stock up for the years worth at the 20% sales :P running a bit low at the moment though.

The first number is the cold value, while the second is the hot value. Higher means it protects like a 'x' weight oil. The 10w for starting is fine, you live in Brisbane remember :lol: I prefer the 10w40 as it gives better high temp protection than say a 5w30, which on a track is what you're after. The oil system is at about 70-80PSI, so the oil moves pretty quickly :P

You'll pick up the lines and braking points with practice, following someone else, in my opinion, doesn't help the learning curve as who is to say they are right and you'll be able to know what happens if you brake late/early or do funny lines. Just creap up on it, don't go fast and come down to it. You'll be placed in the n00b group for your first few times out anyway and they have less cars in them then the other groups.

Edit: There is no Armco at QR. Plus you have to try pretty hard to hit a wall there, all you need to know is if you're going into the gravel, go in straight. If your going to spin put the clutch in and slam the brakes on.

hey Superdave.

I picked up the 10w-30 this afternoon, partly because i forgot whether i was getting 30 or 40.

I have read up now, and the 10w-40 is better in hotter temps, though there is considerable concern about crap in that fuel that gets left in the motor.

what made you move up to the 10w-40, was it something you noticed?

what made you move up to the 10w-40, was it something you noticed?

Nah, nothing I have noticed, I just use it as it is slightly better with high temperatures than 10w30 or 5w30. 10w40 will also consume a tiny bit more power. But no need to worry, it isn't that big a concern, quality oil is quality oil.

Great, gearing up for saturday. Got a race sheet handy by any chance save me drawing one up?

BTW, 44psi, is that in cold tyres? What will the temp rise to on the track?

Had to tell SB no to the springs, goddam rolla is a strut setup, and is super complicated to swap out the springs.

Shame.

a race sheet is more for noob's like us... it's just to help us record things like tyre pressure hot and cold, air temps, lap times and and little things like that.. and at the end of the day you can see how adjusting little thing can change your lap times..

what tyres are you running?? 44psi cold is probly abit too much... at 44psi cold it may jump as high as 55psi after a few laps of the track.. and at 55psi on the front tyres you may understeer...

i used 38psi at track on street tyres.. any less and the car started to feel abit lose..

anyways enjoy on saturday,, you'll have a ball.

Great, gearing up for saturday. Got a race sheet handy by any chance save me drawing one up?

BTW, 44psi, is that in cold tyres? What will the temp rise to on the track?

Had to tell SB no to the springs, goddam rolla is a strut setup, and is super complicated to swap out the springs.

Shame.

only takes a few hours dude...