What the?

Wixy

So ok, when i came back last night from Falls Creek (a ski resort in victoria) i was butt tired. Pretty much 14 hours of no sleep per day but it was well worth the fun, apart from looking like an burnt tool!

anywho, gen4&4.5's have 70L fuel tanks, and ive been using vpower since purhcase from 55,000kms - eventhough its only a normal 2002 4cyc 2.2L non vvtl old ***** that has now done 77,000kms.

now here's the interesting bit.

Fuel: 70L of vpower - (including reserve)

Distance from my house to falls creek: 891kms return trip.

Did i need to fill up at all during the trip there and back? No.

Do i still have fuel in my tank? Yes. The needle is on the 1/4 mark.

And my cargo? 5persons (4girls and myself) with a approx 90% filled boot.

Tyres? Toyo Teo Plus size 215/60/R16. 36PSI fronts and 38PSI rears.

From that, not including how much fuel there is in the tank (currently at 1/4 mark),

70L/891kms x 100 = 7.86kms per 100kms.

Driving Style:

Cruise Control most of the time at 100 to 120km/h.

Last 50kms to Falls Resort required some serious engine reving, thus overdrive was turned off most of the time. Non grandpa attitude there. Twisty bends wore tires a bit.

No Aircon, windows sometimes down but rarely.

Music up high during trip hehe

Anyone here experience anything like this? or is this millage figure the norm...? wots going on? unless i slept walk and fill fuel during my sleep, the tank was untouched.

That's assuming you used all 70L worth of tank space. If you had a 1/4 left, then the maths is off, and the savings (as you suggested) are greater.

Notwithstanding, I drive a fleet worth of Camry's, and I have never seen or heard of such good mileage. 700km, perhaps, if your name is Daisy.

Not bad, keep it up and the environment will love you!

Edited by theDefiant1

We've had close to 1000km out of a tank in the SXV10R before, that was really draining it to the bottom (only a couple of litres left), but that was almost entirely freeway driving. Theoretically, we could make it from Newcastle to Melbourne on a single tank, but it's not something you'd want to risk really.

Assuming you cruise normally on the highway, at 100-120 kmph you should be getting like less than 7 litres per 100km so I guess that it should fit up. Also, the fuel gauge isn't very accurate. You usually see it drop a lot slower when you are at full tank than at empty

Assuming you cruise normally on the highway, at 100-120 kmph you should be getting like less than 7 litres per 100km so I guess that it should fit up. Also, the fuel gauge isn't very accurate. You usually see it drop a lot slower when you are at full tank than at empty

yea i guess so, but mmm

i had a full car! i just dont get how some camrys do 10-11/100km and i do a random number like less than 7.8/100km. i want to know my secret! haha. i honestly dont drive like a granie, i floor it every now and then, consistently, so kinda tearing my hair out why its soooo good in fuel consumption.

maybe i should ask my mechanic what he does to my car.

Not long after I bought my car, I drove over to Adelaide with a car load of three. It was a 35 degree day so the air conditioning was on and off the whole way and there was significant headwinds. On the trip over to SA, I managed 720km from about 55L of 95RON. Most of the driving was on the highway save for about 10km at the beginning when I drove to the Western Ring Road here in Melbourne. I ended up stopping in Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills as the climb up from Murray Bridge along the highway really made a difference to the fuel consumption and the light kept coming on and staying on longer each time.

On the way back, I did the whole trip on just under 3/4 of a tank and managed to travel around Melbourne for another 150km on the remaining quarter. Again, car load of three and hot weather saw the air conditioning at all levels throughout the day. A big plus was the first 60-70km of the trip was downhill through the Adelaide Hills, something I'm sure made a difference.

The fuel economy of my car never ceases to amaze me in city traffic and I'm surprised even with 160,000kms on the clock, it is still quite efficient. I travel 75km each weekday (round trip to work) and about 100km over the course of a weekend. This week, using Mobil 8000, I achieved 572km on just over 57 litres. Not bad considering 80% of that was in city traffic and I am not overly conservative with acceleration. My average consumption for the week is around the 9.97L/100km mark.

Nice work dont question it just enjoy it. Iget about 600ks in my rolla, full down to just under a quarter, mostly freeway driving.

What? 600 k... tats nice... but yeh.. mostly freeway driving... my rolla just gets up to 500ks.... not much at all... but city driving most of the time?? :D

I have driven from my home town to Emerald Nth Qld, distance approx 990km, with 3 passengers, A/C on constantly and 2 pit stops.

As I entered Emerald my fuel light came on. I was pretty damn happy with that. :D

Ok, I'll try to do the best I can converting it (since we go my miles and gallons here). I have the same 70L fuel tank, and have a '96 TRD Supercharged V6 Camry.

I was doing a REALLY long drive 3 weeks ago. A little bit at the beginning, I was haing fun with some friends, so I was doing some 0-130kph runs. About 1/3 the tank was about 95kph (non-cruise control), 1/2 the tank was probably around 110kph (with cruise control).

When I finally filled up with like 6-8L left, I had averaged 28mpg. When factoring in the rest the tank at that mileage, it was 518 miles (833km) for the entire tank.

wtf?

u have 96 trd camrys over there?

man aust is a sad sad place for toyotas. lol.

camrys <2004 here are well...stock, or if youre lucky, u get to see a shoooped up camry once in a blue moon!

but yes, thats also good milage!

just for updates sake,

i ended up doing 996kms from a 70L tank cuz want to know how long i could keep it up after my trip to the ski resorts.

though i was running on empty light for lets say....15-20mins? i felt brave but it was pretti stupid!

so...thats.... *scratches head*

70/996kms x 100kms = 7.02L/100kms

man if i had a smaller car i wonder how much i would do....

wtf?

u have 96 trd camrys over there?

man aust is a sad sad place for toyotas. lol.

Well, not made by TRD, lol. I put a TRD SuperCharger on it. We did not have any "real" TRD cars till 1999 with the Camry Solara, but that wasn't a true TRD Car IMO.

What surprises me if the SuperCharger has not killed highway miles too much, it's only killed city mileage.

I'm going on another massive road trip (installing a TRD Supercharger for a friend on his '94 Camry Coupe) in 1 month, so I think I'll just keep cruise on at about 110kph for most of the drive, and see is I can break that 28mpg I had gotten.

i got 800km off 1 tank when i went down to venus bay on hardly using cruise at all and i used just under of a quarter in suburbian driving b4 i left! just shows the advantage of driving on long freeways with no one on em lol

I regularly get 700km out of the tank ... mine's a 2001 4cyl automatic. Combined city and freeway driving. Mind you, that being said I coast off freeway exits and go pretty gentle on the car so I can get the bit extra :P Is there a dramatic benefit [other than obviously a smoother drive] that comes from using PULP? I just use 91 ULP.