HID for 2003 Sportivo

tiet

sorry if ive made my question hard to understand lol im fine with buying and installing i just wanted to know where everyone has the ballast mounted in the engine bay or did they just zip tie it and leave it hanging

Edited by tiet

sorry if ive made my question hard to understand lol im fine with buying and installing i just wanted to know where everyone has the ballast mounted in the engine bay or did they just zip tie it and leave it hanging

use cable ties to secure it some place safe in the engine bay? just make sure it doesnt swing around or anything..then u`ll be fine

If you really wanna do a neat job, you can do it like the following. This is on facelift corolla, but it should be the same on pre-facelift.

Right Ballast mounted neatly:

SL379741.jpg

Left Ballast mounted neatly:

SL379744.jpg

All cables tucked away:

SL379742.jpg

There is no modification to the car chassis. There were already two holes in the chassis beams to mount the brackets.

Goodluck! =P

- Kenneth

I would say it took close to 1-2hours, as it was my first time, and was finding places to route cables, ballasts etc.

But second time around I'd say 1 hour would be a plenty!

Hmmm nice install, ain't bagging your work but wouldn't it sucombe to water damage?

Thanks!

Do you mean water damage to the ballast? The ballasts are water proof. On top of that the ballasts have been oriented that way so that the connectors are facing down rather then up to prevent water to the connectors. The connectors also have this rubber like grommet to keep water out. I've had it running like that for a long while now, in both dry and wet weather and have had no issues to date. haha *touch wood*

Hope that helps =P

Kenneth i must say that's a good place, i think i am going to mount it there, so if cops look at the engine bay it shouldn't cause any hassles thanks again that's the answer I've been looking for :)

sorry quick question some sights i see it says the corolla uses 9006 and on others i see H7 which is it?

Pre-facelift corolla's low beam driving lights are H7

No problems!

@LEGEND888 - Yeah, the black brackets came with my MTEC HID kit. I think most kits come with brackets.

how much did ur mtech hid kit cost u? ><

My kit cost me 300 posted. It was a special MTEC kit that only came in H7 (5200K) with HID globes manufactured by G.E.. The globes made by G.E. are supposed to last really long. We'll see about that. But the cut off is pretty sharp for being in a halogen reflector.. so I'm happy with that! :P

Edited by KT668

No problems!

@LEGEND888 - Yeah, the black brackets came with my MTEC HID kit. I think most kits come with brackets.

My kit cost me 300 posted. It was a special MTEC kit that only came in H7 (5200K) with HID globes manufactured by G.E.. The globes made by G.E. are supposed to last really long. We'll see about that. But the cut off pretty sharp for being in a halogen reflector.. so I'm happy with that! :P

damn $300 :P my kit is half ur price.. mind posting up some pics? :D pls? :P

No problems!

My kit cost me 300 posted. It was a special MTEC kit that only came in H7 (5200K) with HID globes manufactured by G.E.. The globes made by G.E. are supposed to last really long. We'll see about that. But the cut off pretty sharp for being in a halogen reflector.. so I'm happy with that! :P

What Kit Did You Use Jeremy? :-) Only Asking Coz I Am Planning To Install One Or Get One Installed Depending On How Complex It Is As A DIY!

well from my knowledge its easy to install, if you are planning to mount it properly like how kenneth did which i am going to do as well ^_^ thank you again, it will take longer, because of the fact your taking more off, i am looking at HID's on ebay thinking about getting the $80~$100 set

Edited by tiet

My mate has a set of Mars Performance 4300K kit off Ebay, and they work heaps good! The quality seems to be pretty good as well. It can be easily had for 100. Might want to look into those. I'll post pics later when I'm at home. =)

No problems!

What Kit Did You Use Jeremy? :-) Only Asking Coz I Am Planning To Install One Or Get One Installed Depending On How Complex It Is As A DIY!

Its REALLY simple...pls dont pay someone to do it..

ahha.. :D its like seriously plug n play :D im using a Bosch Kit.. me n kenneth (not KT668) organized a group buy sometime back.. :) got it for $135 delivered..i think cant really remember

sorry quick question some sights i see it says the corolla uses 9006 and on others i see H7 which is it?

to answer your question;

H7 = Prefacelift low beam headlights

9006 a.k.a HB4 = Prefacelift foglights

on a side note.. how many of you with HID occassionally get flashed/high beamed by on coming traffic? i get the same, and im only using halogen bulbs with a 4350k rating :blink: