Most economical cruising speed ?

kirby7777

I have a Kluger Grande AWD 2008 model.

Run on non premium unleaded petrol and tyre pressure 38psi

What would be the most economical cruising speed? ie what is the most mileage I can get out of a litre of petrol at what speed?

85km/hrs? 90? 95? 100?

Thanks.

I have a Kluger Grande AWD 2008 model.

Run on non premium unleaded petrol and tyre pressure 38psi

What would be the most economical cruising speed? ie what is the most mileage I can get out of a litre of petrol at what speed?

85km/hrs? 90? 95? 100?

Thanks.

Er, not if you are in a 50 zone. :whistling:

I haven't done any particularly scientific back-to back comparisons given that our highway driving sojourns are few and far between, but at 80kmh our fuel consumption decreases significantly. Try those speeds for a few minutes each in similar traffic and conditions and road topography, and keep an eye on the display in current consumption mode.

It is frustrating ... it is always 10kmh under the speed limit.

It has been advertise driving at 90kmh will save 25% of fuel compare to 120kmh. You will add hundreds of dollars of speeding fine too driving at 120kmh :lol:

I have always heard or read it from motoring magazines etc that it's most economical to cruise @ 90 km/h.

If you are in QLD this will mean you'll have EVERYONE passing you for 99% of your trip on the highway. <_<

If you are in QLD this will mean you'll have EVERYONE passing you for 99% of your trip on the highway. <_<

Does that really matter tho? I'll admit, it took me a while to get over the frustration of being passed all the time on the highway, but now I just remind myself how much money I'm saving. On a trip to the country to visit the folks, then return, I can save myself nearly $20. Mind you, it takes me an extra 20 odd minutes each way.

Does that really matter tho? I'll admit, it took me a while to get over the frustration of being passed all the time on the highway, but now I just remind myself how much money I'm saving. On a trip to the country to visit the folks, then return, I can save myself nearly $20. Mind you, it takes me an extra 20 odd minutes each way.

slow and steady wins the race, if you get pulled over, there is your 20 mins :) and hole in the wallet :D

I have noticed doing 110+ is more heavy on the fuel consumption than 90 to 100 but don't really care as I'm in my car and want to get to the destination as quickly and legally as possible :D

• 4 weeks later...

I find that keeping the rev counter just under 2K which is about 110 indicated, gives me the best economy on the open road and the green inicator will sit somewhere between 8 and 9 . As soon as it goes above 2k, the green line quickly stretches out past 10.

I'm in a KXR 7seat 2wd.

I did my Vic to QLD trip in two modes

Going there I drove at 100kph on speedo, did 8.9lt to 100km over 1700km or so (will add photo later).

Coming back drove Qld to Canberra in one stint, and drove like a homo and enjoyed it heaps more! (120kph on GPS! in spots for long durations).

All up economy was 9.1lt when I turned up back home.

^ It makes little difference on that test.

On a side not I left the fuel trip meter and now it has almost 5000km registered and the combined fuel consumption (including my performance testing) is 9.8lt per 100km..... *that is a true long term fuel consumption test*

100% the slower you drive the less fuel you will use, in the Kluger the slower the better (even down to 60kph in drive) but it is a balance between boredom and annoying other motorists, bit of common courtesy should be applied I feel.

If you want to save fuel and keep normal speeds, best bit of advise I can give you is turn off your cruise control as it is utter garbage and chews through fuel for no good reason, if you must use it only have it going on flat road and on any hills click back and take over with manual throttle control, and watch your fuel consumption (especially in hilly terrain) get much much better.

when i was working for a motorsport team.. i used to tow a trailer (tri axle 8.5m long), with a Holden Crewman Avalanche (the HSV 4wd thing)

we found we'd hit a sweet spot with the aero dynamics when driving at 117.5km/h the fuel efficiency improved dramatically. mind you the 55l tank was gone in roughly 250 - 300kms... so i couldnt exactly say there was ANY amazing economy going on.

but my point is... it all depends on what you're driving, the load, the weather, the road, and your patience.

My dad drives his Prado + Caravan at 93kmh because its good for him...

Every situation is different

• 1 month later...

Going there I drove at 100kph on speedo, did 8.9lt to 100km over 1700km or so (will add photo later).

Coming back drove Qld to Canberra in one stint, and drove like a homo and enjoyed it heaps more! (120kph on GPS! in spots for long durations).

On a side not I left the fuel trip meter and now it has almost 5000km registered and the combined fuel consumption (including my performance testing) is 9.8lt per 100km..... *that is a true long term fuel consumption test*

100% the slower you drive the less fuel you will use, in the Kluger the slower the better (even down to 60kph in drive) but it is a balance between boredom and annoying other motorists, bit of common courtesy should be applied I feel.

If you want to save fuel and keep normal speeds, best bit of advise I can give you is turn off your cruise control as it is utter garbage and chews through fuel for no good reason, if you must use it only have it going on flat road and on any hills click back and take over with manual throttle control, and watch your fuel consumption (especially in hilly terrain) get much much better.

When I drove my Grande 4wd from Adel to Canb (ca 1300 km) in 13 h doing 120-130 along mostly flat Malley Hwy, and than Stuart Hwy, the average was 9.3 L/100.

On the run to Melb with 4 bodies, going the costal route, it managed just over 10, but on the run down the hill past Cooma, it did much better.

On the lone run to Sydney, kept just under 120 k/h, most way, it did under 9. In Sydney peak h traffic, 15+++!

My wife gets just over 13 on short city runs!!! I get under 12!!!

Having done 3K in the Aurion with 6 spd, the cruise control calibration in the Kluger is shocking, probably because of 1 ratio less, with 400 kg more. As mentioned above, it kicks like crazy to 3rd even on a slight incline and the economy suffers. It actually scared me few times! So, I do what he does – cut the cruise up the hill, and keep it in 5th , which it does easy!

Dan

When I drove my Grande 4wd from Adel to Canb (ca 1300 km) in 13 h doing 120-130 along mostly flat Malley Hwy, and than Stuart Hwy, the average was 9.3 L/100.

On the run to Melb with 4 bodies, going the costal route, it managed just over 10, but on the run down the hill past Cooma, it did much better.

On the lone run to Sydney, kept just under 120 k/h, most way, it did under 9. In Sydney peak h traffic, 15+++!

My wife gets just over 13 on short city runs!!! I get under 12!!!

Having done 3K in the Aurion with 6 spd, the cruise control calibration in the Kluger is shocking, probably because of 1 ratio less, with 400 kg more. As mentioned above, it kicks like crazy to 3rd even on a slight incline and the economy suffers. It actually scared me few times! So, I do what he does – cut the cruise up the hill, and keep it in 5th , which it does easy!

Dan

The cruise control is great in the KX-R FWD, not so great in the Grande AWD and I don't know about the KX-S. Obviously needs to be set-up better for the versions with more weight.

Dan

I agree - Kluger cruise control is poor on uphills. Why it wants to so readily kick back to 3rd is beyond me.

Same craziness when you resume cruise control when anymore than 10kmh below the set speed - Kluger wants to get back to the set speed almost instantaneously. Eg set speed is 100kmh and you press resume at 90kmh when in 5th and cruise control instantly wants to kick back to 4th or even 3rd sometimes, even on the flat - crazy!