1993 Camry V6 overheating

Lozza

Hi there , I recently had a complete rebuild on my 1993 Camry but now its overheating , We have had the Radiator reconditioned , new water pump . new Radiator cap , new thermostat, new overflow bottle etc , but still it overheats ...... its getting very frustrating the mechanic that did the rebuild is a freind and has 30 yrs experience ,

We have done a block test etc but still the problem is there , has anyone got any ideas ?

thanks

Lozza

Hi there , I recently had a complete rebuild on my 1993 Camry but now its overheating , We have had the Radiator reconditioned , new water pump . new Radiator cap , new thermostat, new overflow bottle etc , but still it overheats ...... its getting very frustrating the mechanic that did the rebuild is a freind and has 30 yrs experience ,

We have done a block test etc but still the problem is there , has anyone got any ideas ?

thanks

Lozza

it could be a fault within the engine management system. for example, it could be the electronic coolant temperature sensor, which would affect fuel mixture, ignition timing and egr.

might pay to check the cooling fans?

but i think the best bet would be to do a diagnostics test of the engine mangement system and see what comes up.

considering that pretty much everything has been rebuilt, i doubt it is mechanically overheating (unless of course incorrect/faulty parts or ****ty coolant is being used, in which case i would ensure that the correct parts have indeed been used)

Thanks for your reply Lateralaus, this problem is driving us nuts atm

1, All parts are genuine and correct.

2, The motor spits the water out via the overflow bottle rather than circulate it hence it overheats

3, If remove the thermostat and bypass the overflow bottle the temp gauge starts at cold then runs around half in city traffic but cools on the freeway .

4, there are no leaks anywhere.

This motor just seems to be doing everything it shouldn't cooling wise other than that its a gem , just like all the motors this guy has previously built for me ,We have to laugh or else we would go nuts lol.

The reason for the rebulid was at 320,000 k I bent the crank :( So we completely stipped it down cleaned everything got a new crank , new gaskets etc it started first turn of the key but the temp wasn't right from the word go:(

The friend who has done the rebuild is a top spanner guy and the other motors he has done for me have had other 200,000 k put on them before I've sold the vehicles ( I do about a 1,000k a week lol)

And this V6 was returning about 700k per tank .anyways will keep you posted we are thinking of taking the heads off again in case it was a faulty gasket , thank goodness its only costing me parts .

Cheers

Lozza

If it's only overheating when your driving slow, you probably still have pressure leaks in your radiator hoses. I am surprised these weren't done with all that other stuff really. I had the same problem in my V6 widebody. It also could be something as silly as the electric fan not coming on, which is easy to overlook reconnecting in a rebuild...

If you car overheats again, put the heater on full blast with the AC running too. This extends your cooling system system by opening the small heater core inside the car and running the electric fan for the AC.

Cheers, Gav.

If it's only overheating when your driving slow, you probably still have pressure leaks in your radiator hoses. I am surprised these weren't done with all that other stuff really. I had the same problem in my V6 widebody. It also could be something as silly as the electric fan not coming on, which is easy to overlook reconnecting in a rebuild...

If you car overheats again, put the heater on full blast with the AC running too. This extends your cooling system system by opening the small heater core inside the car and running the electric fan for the AC.

Cheers, Gav.

Hi Gav, Thanks for the reply but has new rad hoses and new timing belt etc and the Fans workining ok

Cheers

Lozza

Well, that pretty much covers everything other than replacing the ECT sensor itself. :blink:

Goodluck, Gav.

EDIT: Is there any chance your car is running lean? You mentioned getting 700km per tank. That's something I was never able to do in my V6. I could only imagine that would be due to your EGO or MAF. Bosch reccomend to replace the EGO every 50k or 2 years. :whistling: Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

Lozza

G'day everyone ,

Problem fixed the radiator was blocked again due to further rubbish from the cooling system :) We sent it to a different radiator place :)

Now running at normal temps Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! so hopefully get another 300,000 K's out of it lol

thanks for the advice received ...Long live the Camry :)

Cheers

Lozza