Location of roof DVD screen

holmesie

I would like to install a roof DVD screen in my KX-S Kluger, but I don't know where to screw it up safely. Where does the Grande model have the screen mounted?

Planning on using a PS2 console under one of the front seats for DVD and games for the kids when we're on a long trip.

Any pics, ideas or experiences would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Andrew

Hey Andrew

My Toyota dealer offered to install a roof mounted dvd player into our (Merlot) KX-S, I think he recommend a Pioneer system, that way he said the boys in the workshop could connect it all correctly, the unit was around $700. I elected instead for a system which has 2 removable screens on the back of the front headrests, has headphones or speakers for $250, works a treat and there was no need to muck around with the roof lining/electrics etc.

Bad news on your PS2, you need a 400w inverter to run (if its the thin version) which will need to be hard wired to your battery. For some reason the older bigger version only needs a 300w inverter which the cigarette lighter should handle. The guys at Jaycar did caution me by saying that they have had mixed success running Ps2's in cars, by "mixed" they mean they have blown a couple up (the PS2 not the car)!!!, so be careful. I'm not a sparky so there maybe someone else on here who could provide you with some more advise.

Cheers, Mark

I wouldnt go the roof mounteed one just because all grande drivers cannot see out the back rear vision mirror when in use. I couldnt use it at all when i test drove it, so as we had the same headrest dvd screens, we opt and went for the kxs as well. Love it.

It may depend on your height and how you have your seat adjusted, but I'm one Grande owner that doesn't have a problem with the rear view mirror and DVD player. Perhaps the top 1/4 of rear view is obscured. About the same as the obscured view when the rear passenger mirror (sunglass holder thingo) is used.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to install a roof DVD screen in my KX-S Kluger, but I don't know where to screw it up safely. Where does the Grande model have the screen mounted?

Planning on using a PS2 console under one of the front seats for DVD and games for the kids when we're on a long trip.

Any pics, ideas or experiences would be much appreciated!

Hey Andrew,

here's some other ideas for you. I just moved here from the US. I had a Honda Pilot (very similar to the Kluger/Highlander), in which I installed head rests, a DVD player and an ipod interface.

See here for details and some pictures:

http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21738

I just bought a Grande, but if I was to do this again, I would highly recommend the Vizualogic head rest units. Very easy to set up and they come with a switch box that has 3-4 inputs and 2 outputs + screen connectors + a remote to control it all. You can basically connect as many things as you want and the signal router is included. You can get them at a resonable price on ebay. I paid US $650 for both screens with shipping.

I also tried using a PS2 in the car, but it was a big hassle. It's too big and you need a power inverter for the old model. Instead of a PS2, I would recommend a Nintendo Gamecube. It's much smaller, you can get wireless controllers and it runs off 12V. You can get a cheap adapter from ebay.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Welcome DownUnder mate and thanks for the info. My slim PS2 runs on a 8.5V/6A power supply and I already have a 12v power supply that it runs fine on (this model was apparently between an older and the current model that runs on 240v which need an inverter).

Your Pilot setup was very professional looking, thanks for the pics. I will look for a local price on the Vizualogic headrest screens, and that's the setup I think I'll try and create rather than a single screen on the roof

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome DownUnder mate and thanks for the info. My slim PS2 runs on a 8.5V/6A power supply and I already have a 12v power supply that it runs fine on (this model was apparently between an older and the current model that runs on 240v which need an inverter).

Your Pilot setup was very professional looking, thanks for the pics. I will look for a local price on the Vizualogic headrest screens, and that's the setup I think I'll try and create rather than a single screen on the roof

Cheers

I sat in the back seat of my Kluger Grande yesterday and tried out the roof mounted DVD. Dual screen is much nicer and doesn't obscure the rear view mirror.

The Pilot was a 2005, which had a one unit CD changer. I disconnected that unit to connect the ipod interface, which left an empty slot for the DVD player in the front. For the Kluger, I'd buy the Vizualogic headrests with built in dvd player, unless you're replacing the front head unit and can hook it all up. You probably get the switch box to connect the PS2 either way.

Cheers

Hi Andrew go the dual screens Mate as I gave up trying to get my factory unit down the year before last, I still have a wire running across the roof lining to connect the external speaker system I put in at the same time....the kids haven't used the factory head phones for over 12 months....(Transformers animated edition does get very repetitive/annoying whilst on long drives...thank good they changed that DVD....)

The screens is a bit of a pain when dropped looking rearward

Good luck with the PS, I think that would be a bad move for us with 3 boys fighting over it!

Cheers,

Adrian

Hi Andrew go the dual screens Mate as I gave up trying to get my factory unit down the year before last, I still have a wire running across the roof lining to connect the external speaker system I put in at the same time....the kids haven't used the factory head phones for over 12 months....(Transformers animated edition does get very repetitive/annoying whilst on long drives...thank good they changed that DVD....)

The screens is a bit of a pain when dropped looking rearward

Is it possible to output sound from the dvd in the back of a Grande to the factory head unit ?

I haven't figured out how and couldn't find anything in the manuals.

Edited by Surf_and_snow

Is it possible to output sound from the dvd in the back of a Grande to the factory head unit ?

I haven't figured out how and couldn't find anything in the manuals.

I used the side headphone socket on the Rear DVD with fixed external speakers.

But I suppose you could use the optional Ipod socket to input now!

Head unit does not have a std input

FM Modulator is another option from rear DVD others on hear have used!

The install really isn't that hard. I'll take some pictures, but the hard part is getting the nerve to cut your headliner.

I chose the spot where a button holds up the headliner (I don't have a moonroof, but that may be an issue). I tapped the steel to accept a threaded bolt, put up a bracket, and routed the wires down the passenger's pillar. I got switched power from the cigarette lighter and constant from the radio, it allows the DVD to resume from where you left off. I got a interface from USA Spec called the DF-TOY for $15 on ebay that tricks the headunit into thinking it has a changer. Works so much better than an FM modulator.

I'll take some pics later, but it really isn't hard to put up a quality flip down.