Laptops for all senior school children.

Leroy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they expect the supplier to replace the battery when the performance degrades (not when the battery is no longer usable). Basically, they put that clause in there to get a couple of free batteries per laptop over the 4 year period, basically guarantee's that any profit margin in the laptop (will be netbooks in this case) is lost.

they expect the supplier to replace the battery when the performance degrades (not when the battery is no longer usable). Basically, they put that clause in there to get a couple of free batteries per laptop over the 4 year period, basically guarantee's that any profit margin in the laptop (will be netbooks in this case) is lost.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one puts a tender in. My lap top chewed through 3 batteries in 12 months. I didn't got any more as the warranty period finished :P

I know that the mini lap tops might not meet there screen/keyboard size requirements, but they can be had for about $6-700. I'm sure if you order 200,000 of them HP/Acer/Asus would be able to offer a discount to get them pretty damn close to the magic $500 mark. If the article did the maths wrong and the actual price the NSW Government is after is $900, then there are plenty of lap tops on the market already that are around that price. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of whining about how slow the lap tops are though ;)

I'm pretty sure the $500 base price quoted in the article is correct, given the min spec listed in the tender. From Dell the Mini9 meets the requirments and it's full retail cost is $549 so quite easy to meet that spec. I'd hate to be a student stuck with an Intel Atom powered PC though...

The guys writing the tenders usually pick a model they want, base the requirments around that model, then put it out to market to go through the paces.

Funny that - the first bit of university graffiti I ever saw was on a toilet roll holder at the Uni of Adelaide. It said: "pull here for arts degree" :clap:

Saw the same thing at UOW - "Arts Degree - please take one" :lol:

I have decided to take my old man up on his offer of uni starting 2010, I bet I have the ***** of it within the first few months and not finish it :P

Edited by Simo