Gear changing problem

ELEGNT

Ive been noticing more and more lately that on the odd ocassion when in drive acceleration from a stop (resonaly slow acceleration changing about 2200rpm) that sometimes just before the car changes gear the revs surge up about 200-300rpm then it goes into the next gear. it only does it at about that revs and usually from 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th. its only on the odd occasion, but does it alot more after ive upped it once or twice. does anyone have this problem?? because its starting to worry me a bit =S

cheers for the help guys!!

What you just described is transmission flare. There have been cases around here in regards to it. I get the transmission flare as well, just this is only from 2nd to 3rd and only occurs when the engine is cold (temperature needle under 1/4). The guys over at Toyota Nation with their Camry's have talked about it quite a bit. Just do a search on their Gen 6 forum for 'transmission flare'. One from here though:

Problem with Aurion 6 speed auto

cheers daryl, it seems to be a common thing when the engine is cold, where mine ONLY happens after youve been driving for ages like 100km to the coast on the highway or driven hard. if the flaring gets worse ill mention it in my next service, atm it doesnt bother me too much but dont no the effect on the engine

Toyota is apparently working on this issue, and believe that it's related to the firmware on the ECU/TCU.

It is apparently related to both the flare between gear changes or 2nd - 3rd and the rather large delay switching between 1st and 2nd.

From memory it occurs at different temperatures on my Aurion.

It appears to be for certain throttle position.

It appears if I rev it hard it doesn't do.

If I accelerate slowly it doesn't do.

But it does it for somewhat in the middle.

Coincidently for me the engine is noiser about 2,000 to 2,500 rpm.

That is, more so than 1,500rpm and 3,000 rpm.

Mine mostly happens when cold, between 3 & 4th.

But can replicate the issue when hot by turning off the engine, pulling out the key, starting and taking off again, then it will happen when it's on its way from third to fourth (usually once only whan warm). Toyota have recognised the issue, but as mentioned are working on a firmware fix.