Radiator Top tank leaks

tommykairaR

Just have an issue with my dad's 1994 Camry Vienta V6. It currently has 156,000kms.

The radiator has been replaced 2 times due to the top tank leaking.

Straight after replacing the radiator, we've used Toyota coolant and bled the air as usual.

Problem goes away for about 1 year then, the top tank begins to leak again.

There are no overheating issues as the temperature needle stays on halfway when at operating temperature.

The thermostat has also been replaced.

I've narrowed it down to the thermofan switch. I've noticed that when the car is started up [even when cold] the thermofan spins slowly and I've never heard it kick in.

Just need a few opinions on this issue and whether or not anyone else has had similar problem.

I had a similar problem with mine only a few months ago... found that the radiator fan wasn't spinning like it should be (you could actually grab it). It'd heat up on idle, but drop back to 1/2 way when driving.

I took it to the Mechanic... got him to check it out, showed him the problem and everything... he thought maybe something got caught in a sensor or something like that, or that the thermostat was stuffed.

I ended up goin back in the arvo... asking what the problem was, and he said at that time, he couldn't fault it. The fan was goin nuts like it should be and everything was back to normal... I've never had the fault come back since.

I asked a few people... I found that maybe, just maybe that the power steering fluid might have something to do with this, as it passes through a welsh plug on the radiator fan. Maybe the fluid is old, not doing it's job or something like that, and could cause the problem?

Either way... that's another place to check mate.

as well as what was said above, I've heard of radiator here in the US constantly going bad due to the fact the replacement radiators are pieces of crap and bad quality.