Corolla Overheating

Firstly, I know very little about cars, so bear with me. Any advice I can get is much appreciated.

My 92 Corolla's temperature guage suddenly started indicating that the engine was hot.

This seemed worse when pulling up and stopping (idling) and seemed to resolve when driving.

The guage has never moved before so I'm a little worried.

There were no obvious signs that the car was hot when I had a look.

All fluid levels are good.

The fuses all look good.

The engine cooling fan doesn't seem to be working.

But I've never taken any notice of it, so I wouldn't know if that's normal or not. My guess is not.

Should it turn on when I turn the ignition on or only when the car is running hot?

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

If it's the cooling fan, what's the best thing to?

Cheers,

Adam.

unplug the connector from the thermofan switch that is in the thermostat housing while the engine's off but the ignition is switched on. It's the plug with the single green wire running to it. When that is unplugged the thermofan should turn on. That will tell you if the thermofan is working ok.

If that is ok, and your fan still doesn't come on when the engine is hot, you most likely have a faulty thermofan switch and it needs replacing.

Other than that, your radiator probably needs cleaning anyway being a 1992 model. I'd hazzard a guess that it would be at least 40% blocked given the age and lack of attention the cooling systems usually receive.

After you've done what rollamods has said... To clean the radiator, you could go to a place to get it "reconditioned", which means they'll probably just flush it out and it'll unblock about 10% of the gunk from the core and about $200 of your wallet. A much better option is to get a completely new core or even a new radiator made from scratch, which should cost you $350 - $400.

In my old corolla I first got my radiator "reconditioned" at one of the large radiator chains. It did nothing at all. Then I got a dual core radiator made from scratch at an independent and never had another problem.

If it's the thermostat, genuine ones are reasonably cheap from Toyota, don't bother with cheaper options. Oh, and you need to buy a new gasket that matches the thermostat too.

Edited by Wayne123R

If it's the thermostat, genuine ones are reasonably cheap from Toyota, don't bother with cheaper options. Oh, and you need to buy a new gasket that matches the thermostat too.

dont bother with a gasket buy the genuine toyota black sealant that stuff it the **** as long as both sealing suraces r clean that **** will seal every thing except fuel

Edited by robie