throttle body upgrade

We tested the efficiency of the 2zzge Throttle Body on the dyno when i was having it tuned... and it lost 0.2% efficiency at the RPM where Peak power was being produced.

so upgrading isnt really all that neccassary....

EDIT: sorry i just realised your not talking about a Sportivo... my bad.

changing the throttle plate on your DBW setup will most likely leave you with a LOT of issues.

thought u might say that, are there any after market dbw setups i can plug in/mod loom etc and how will a powerfc react to dbw work fine?

The question you probably need to answer first is what diameter throttle do you need for your power goal?

If you dont want to convert to cable throttle with a good aftermarket ECU (best solution) you could try a celica 2zz DBW throttle body from the states and a piggyback to try and tune the idle to a reasonable state.

The question you probably need to answer first is what diameter throttle do you need for your power goal?

If you dont want to convert to cable throttle with a good aftermarket ECU (best solution) you could try a celica 2zz DBW throttle body from the states and a piggyback to try and tune the idle to a reasonable state.

ive been reading i cant piggyback a dbw only a stand alone will do the job,and i dont want the hastle of converting to cable. eather way ill be upgrading the ecu, if i was to to change to cable might as well go for quads as the ecu will already be in place. the inlet thats on there now is 63mm prity sure, upgrading to some thing like 70mm or even 76mm is this overkill? all i really want to do to the moter is port, a custom plenum and cam upgrade, i want to keep it n/a is 110kw at the weels unrealistic? i now this is alot of money to spend for very little gain

Edited by spillige

as were on the subject of intake and throttle body upgrades, some may know that ill be doing a full engine rebulid when i get back to aus, big bore kite stage 3 cams etc etc, i was also looking at boring out my throttle body and would it be in my best interest to get a custom made plenum.. but another question is it all worth it for a few kw,, and how would itb's go, i have heard that the itb's for a 4ag fit onto the 1zz as it has the same spacing? would a standalone ecu like the apexi fc be able to tune the itbs?

as were on the subject of intake and throttle body upgrades, some may know that ill be doing a full engine rebulid when i get back to aus, big bore kite stage 3 cams etc etc, i was also looking at boring out my throttle body and would it be in my best interest to get a custom made plenum.. but another question is it all worth it for a few kw,, and how would itb's go, i have heard that the itb's for a 4ag fit onto the 1zz as it has the same spacing? would a standalone ecu like the apexi fc be able to tune the itbs?

No.

You'll need something better than a powerfc if you want the car to idle.

As for a standalone ECU capable of running the DBW throttle, Motec's about your only real option at the moment. An emanage can piggyback the DBW 1ZZ ECU if you want to go down the piggyback route.

if what aza51 said is true bout the itbs on the 1zz id be willing to stretch my budget to a motec, what about the option of putting a 2zz manifold on the 1zz will the dbw mate to it? or even the celica dbw rollamods mentioned.

edit: just had a look at the thread [tuning a 2zz...it has potential] i think im in over my head with the itbs, although the 1zz doesnt have that much tilt on it

Edited by spillige

I'm the one that measured the port spacing for the 20V and 1zz and found them to be the same. If you're capable of making a plenum then incorporating the 20V quads shouldn't be hard at all. I've posted in other threads about what you need to do for idle control with the 20V quads.

I'm the one that measured the port spacing for the 20V and 1zz and found them to be the same. If you're capable of making a plenum then incorporating the 20V quads shouldn't be hard at all. I've posted in other threads about what you need to do for idle control with the 20V quads.

if possible could you provide a link as ive tried searching but havnt found anything..

why dont u ask the guys in the aurion rooms for throttle body diameters as there dbw n i know the bigger the the corolla 1 (obviously) and as your making a custom manifold u can make it to incorperate that is if its the throtte your looking for

standalone/tuning, converting to wire throttle, quads, plenum, possible fuel system upgrade? thought it would be round the 5k mark. still wont throw out the idea of just upsizeing single throttle body

Edited by spillige

wire in vipec v44: $1600 (full closed loop VVT control, wideband autotuning of fuel maps etc etc)

ECU header board to make V44 plug-in loom: $150 (allows to return to stock without too much trouble)

20V quads with TPS: $300

ZZE accel pedal and cable: ~$100 (they never break, wreckers usually crush them)

LC-1 Wideband kit: $350

CAD drawing of 1zz intake flange and 20V base/inlet flanges: $??? I DIY for that

Lasercutting of alloy plate for flanges: ~$40-100ea depending on design and number of holes require for cutting

Lasercutting of alloy plates for 20V throttle to plenum interface $100

Spun ram tubes for inside plenum: $25ea

Alloy materials + TIG welding + machining required for fabrication of plenum $?? depends on where you buy it and who you know.

Bolts etc for plenum assembly: $12

ICV: $50

IAT: included with ECU

MAP Sensor: included with ECU

2zz injectors: $150

Dyno + street tuning from scratch: $700

That comes close enough to $4K, so if you factor in another $1000 for the plenum/machining/welding/hoses/clamps etc you're close enough to $5K Then there's also workshop labour if you're not DIYing.

Edited by rollamods

me and a friend would be doing all the fabrication work including the pedel box...well mostly my mate ill be handing him tools...that leaves tuning and electrical cause we dont have a clue bout that side of things. now that i know it will work(if it doesnt im pinning this all on u rollamods, just wondering why no one has tried this before? not possible?) guess 1st things 1st research time

Edited by spillige

if it "works" or not will depend on the design of the plenum and lengths/diameter/taper of the trumpets. If you dont get the maths right first you will lose power. You will find it difficult to beat the job toyota has done with the stock plenum in terms of low down torque etc.

I'm guessing you haven't done any calculations for what you actually need for your desired HP/Torque/Powercurve goals as you dont know what size throttle body you want. I'd suggest doing a lot of research before starting to spend money.

I'd suggest purchasing Engine Analyser Pro and using that to get the design right before ripping into anything.

post-10345-1229136194_thumb.jpgpost-10345-1229136204_thumb.jpgpost-10345-1229136217_thumb.jpgpost-10345-1229136226_thumb.jpgpost-10345-1229136238_thumb.jpg

few things i found on the net this morning plenums are $770 for trumpet style and $750 for normal type, quads are $400 i think. i can tell this going to be a massive headacke cant beleave im doing this, i could have a sti sitting in my drive way