Handrake adjustment in 2002 Altise?

vectorskink

if a mechanically sound person were to do it, it would only take like 30 mins max (but toyota allows time for bludging). what needs doing:

1. adjust the clearance of the brake shoes on the back wheels

2. take off center console, undo the locking nut and adjust the adjusting nut on the lever assembly

you wouldnt need toyota to do it for you.

Remove the centre console and back off the adjusting nuts on the cable first...

Then remove the rear wheels and adjust the handbrake shoes inside the disc...

Tighten them up so the disc locks up...

Back them off roughly 5 movements of the screwdriver so the disc spins freely...

Put the wheels back on and lower the car back onto the ground...

Adjust the cable so you have 5 - 6 clicks of the handbrake lever and make sure it holds on a decent hill with the car being in Neutral...

After you're done, drive the car and make sure it's not too tight and that the rear shoes aren't rubbing inside the rear discs...

If thats all clear then you're all done :)

• 15 years later...

I just had change my hand brake shoe on my 2002 camry altise 2.4. and the brakes of when its downhill facing front, but the brake does not catch when it is downhill ( slope ) facing backwards. Also I am confused, How many brake shoe does a camry have; I just changed one on the rear right side.

3 hours ago, Saz said:

I just had change my hand brake shoe on my 2002 camry altise 2.4. and the brakes of when its downhill facing front, but the brake does not catch when it is downhill ( slope ) facing backwards. Also I am confused, How many brake shoe does a camry have; I just changed one on the rear right side.

There are two handbrake shoe pairs in total, one for each rear wheel

1 hour ago, Hiro said:

There are two handbrake shoe pairs in total, one for each rear wheel

Thanks for you quote mate. Now the problem is, when I put on the parking brake on a slope (engine facing down the hill) then it breaks superb. but when I park the car in the slope facing engine up hill then the brake is not stopping steady; it slightly moves backwards. I don't know what can i do to perfect this action? any information provided will be appreciated.