Why I need to get a rubber boot liner

mdv

I have gotta get a boot liner for my new KX-S.

ATM, I use a car blanket to keep the boot area free of dog fur, sand and other stuff.

On the way to my outlaws in the country, Dog #1 (sheepdog) lies peacefully while Dog #2 (black lab retriever) slides from one side to the other. Every corner, a sliding noise followed by the thud of dog striking car interior.

Then the other side of Goulburn, Dog #1 scratches at the window wanting to get out. OK, I'll stop in a couple of minutes besides Pejar dam ... wrong decision. This dog wants out right NOW ... and so deposits a No2 on my car blanket.

OK, stop, clean out the cr$p, wash the blanket the best I can using my bottled drinking water, roll it up .. and we'll fix things at the other end.

10 Minutes later, Dog #2 decides that all this boot-surfing (and the lingering smell of Dog #1's effort) is too much and throws up ... just where the car blanket used to be. :angry:

I have now learned my lesson. Get a rubber boot liner ... non-skid, removable and washable by hose.

Yeah. I brought some Japanese stuff from Hong Kong. They are the kind of material that you can find in the Chinatown in Sydney for mobile phone not skidding off the dash.

Think of that mousepad size in as big as the boot of Kluger II. :). Haha I got one just around AUD$30.

[quote I have now learned my lesson. Get a rubber boot liner ... non-skid, removable and washable by hose.

I got a universal boot mat from Supercheap for around $35, fits quite well too. Clark Rubber also sell them.

Hope your dogs are feeling better B)

I got a universal boot mat from Supercheap for around $35, fits quite well too. Clark Rubber also sell them.

Hope your dogs are feeling better B)

Thanks for tip and sympathy for my dogs.

Anyhow, splashed out on the genuine Kluger mat ... dogs seem happy, and I am happy. :D

P1000351.JPG

P1000355.JPG

I definitely need one of those! (the mat, not the dogs)

Quite a few $$$ more than the 'no-name' mat you would pick up from an auto accessories shop ... but I think it is well worth the investment.

Extremely well-built: thick, fits the boot space like a glove (including slits for 3rd row seatbelts), and has a lip all round to prevent liquid spills from getting out - in fact, the front edge has a double-lip barrier.

Only downside is that the rubber mat smell is stronger than the new-car leather smell ... can't have everything I guess.

I definitely need one of those! (the sheepdog, not the mat)

Beautiful dogs you got there, one of those would go perfectly with my Kluger :)

Thanks for the compliment - both dogs are ex-RSPCA ('plug' for RSPCA?), and are quite at home in the back of the Kluger.

Good luck with your future Kluger. I do, however, highly recommend getting the rubber boot mat as well. In hindsight, it should have been my highest priority accessory after towing kit.

Just a note of caution with your toyota genuine liners, take care when opening the 3rd row seats, the mat can tear near where the seat belts cutouts are if the mat is not rolled up correctly. I know from experience.

BTW liner doesn't really have a double lip at the front, it's designed to be cut along there when a cargo barrier is installed.

Enjoy the rubber smell, it doesn't last long. Dog smells might soon be stronger!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Toyota Liner too.

It's one of the first things I get in a car - the boot liner. Saved me from all sorts of things.

Just a note though, that it is rather soft. I was rolling it up in a hurry to put the third row up, and the liner caught on an umbrella, and got a hole poked through it.

I was suprised how easily the umbrella went through it. On the upside though the rubber seems to have contracted back around the hole, and I can't even see it now unless I go looking.

When i still had a boot, i used a yoga mat and since the bottom of my trunk was already covered in carpet, it stuck in place and stopped all my books bags and such from sliding around... i learnt my lesson the hard way and kinda put a dent in my PC :D and alot of dead pixels

Good luck with your future Kluger. I do, however, highly recommend getting the rubber boot mat as well. In hindsight, it should have been my highest priority accessory after towing kit.

On the down side

Andrew, just keep an eye on the rear mat, mine is nearly in two pieces as it has torn up the seat belt slot on one side :o , We find its a real pain when it comes to lifting up the 3rd row seat when you are out you end up rolling up the mat, I think that's how it started the tare off and it just grew because it is so heavy.

I like the Subaru ones better, because they are lighter, higher lipped and easier to clean but unfortunately do not fold so would not work with the Kluger when out on a trip when you have to use the 3 row. B)

Lucky it was an extra that was in the car that I did not pay extra for! :)

Edited by PC XT

I've got the Toyota Liner too.

It's one of the first things I get in a car - the boot liner. Saved me from all sorts of things.

Just a note though, that it is rather soft. I was rolling it up in a hurry to put the third row up, and the liner caught on an umbrella, and got a hole poked through it.

I was suprised how easily the umbrella went through it. On the upside though the rubber seems to have contracted back around the hole, and I can't even see it now unless I go looking.

It would seem its not a good idea to roll these mats up guys! I think they are made of cheese............ :D

Edited by PC XT