1ZZ-FE Mods

Hi everyone... I'm a newbie so go easy please :)

I'm not sure if this ground has been covered before, but I'll ask the questions again anyway, and I'll apologize in advance if it has. Sorry :)

I have a Levin 1zz-fe and I'm looking at putting some minor mods to it. My first concern is pipe width for the exhaust. I hear 2.25" and 2.5" works decently on N/A cars, but I was hoping to get some of your opinions and experiences of how the 1zz-fe responds to these two diameter sizes.

Also, the plastic piping from the front of the car does funny things, like making several 90-degree turns, before ending at the airbox. Have any of you tried the K&N panel filter with the airbox and seen improvements (considering the restrictive piping)? or have most of you just gone the CAI route?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Hi everyone... I'm a newbie so go easy please  :) 

I'm not sure if this ground has been covered before, but I'll ask the questions again anyway, and I'll apologize in advance if it has. Sorry  :)

I have a Levin 1zz-fe and I'm looking at putting some minor mods to it. My first concern is pipe width for the exhaust. I hear 2.25" and 2.5" works decently on N/A cars, but I was hoping to get some of your opinions and experiences of how the 1zz-fe responds to these two diameter sizes. 

Also, the plastic piping from the front of the car does funny things, like making several 90-degree turns, before ending at the airbox. Have any of you tried the K&N panel filter with the airbox and seen improvements (considering the restrictive piping)? or have most of you just gone the CAI route?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums :D

I think pippy has got my original 2.25 sportivo exhaust susytem on his levin. o he should be able to comment on that ;)

As for the induction anything is better than stock :) geta k+n and a fat straight pipe into that air box and all will be good

For some reason or another, my car has had a sportivo body kit put on by the previous owner, along with a louder muffler (it's probably an optional sports muffler from toyota and not an aftermarket one, because it's got a fatter but still downwards pointing tip). Point is, I looked at the piping for the muffler, and it looks bigger than the rest of the piping, so I'll probably keep that now, and maybe upgrade later to something like yours IZZ-FE.

What I've decided is to get 4-2-1 extractors, 2.25" piping (with cat, resonator, hinges, etc)... Daadler Exhausts have quoted me $800, which seems alright? Thoughts?

Sounds good.

I just put extractors on my rolla.. there arn't a whole heap around especially for our model corolla but I got some :D Much more kick and a really nice grunt that could put a sportivo to shame. :P

high flow cat back would be a sensible option to squeeze out some power and of course the wonderfull remus exhaust with resonator.. it just sounds too good! (not to mention actually increases performance)

My extractors cost $430, my remus exhaust cost $850 and the quotes I have for a nice cat back are $300 along with piping costing $600 (in stainless steal).

Other options to increase power for a 1zz are pretty limited, I have a TRD cold air intake which works amazingly and the next step will most likely be a GReddy e-management piggyback ecu.

Other than that the only other mods to increase power (over 1kw per mod) would be to either turbocharge or supercharge.

Lets not forget that the TRD sticker on a car gives you 5kws extra too.... 7kws if its on an actual Toyota :lol:

Save up $850.00, be like Skitzo & I and get a Remus rear muffler and upgrade your airfilter to a K&N, BMC, Toms or similar, you'll be pleased with the gain B)

With the remus mufflers their tuned specifically for the 1zz-fw engines right ?

So how would one go if your planing on chucking a s/charger on down the track ?

Thanks for the replies guys... they've been helpful...

So how would one go if your planing on chucking a s/charger on down the track ?

If you're thinking of forced induction, I'd probably think more about changing the overall exhaust piping diameter (if you haven't already done so) than just the muffler... most turbo setups go with a 2.5" (correct me if I'm wrong), so I reckon you'd be better off getting the exhaust done together with the S/C, instead of doing the exhaust first and then S/C down the track. If you're thinking of spending $5grand on a S/C, another option may be to do a custom turbo job... maybe grab a T25 or T28 off a silvia (there's plenty of those), which should be more than enough for a fwd 1.8L 1zz... unless you'd prefer the assurance of trusted brands and parts...

Yeah I'm planning on getting a new exhaust (2 1/2 inch ) and was wondering (as i don't want a canon exhaust ) at how one of these would go with plans on s/charging it a little further down the track.

I want to get my exhaust done now as its not too big a whack out of the pocket as in doing exhaust, s/charger and ecu that would be too much for the boss (she controls the money) to handle.

I also want to stick with trd s/c over a custom turbo job as i think the car will hold its value better (Plus its a trusted brand etc..).

Anyway all this is a fairway off happening at the moment as i have to finish restoring my landcruiser before i can even consider spending a large chunk of cash on a s/c.

Lets not forget that the TRD sticker on a car gives you 5kws extra too.... 7kws if its on an actual Toyota  :lol:

In that case, Danthuyer must have picked up 100kW or more from the stickers alone! :lol: